• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008 edited
    I think the simple answer is this:

Horton and Panda etc. are good, enjoyable scores. Nothing amazing, but still very good. Then again, we already have proof Powell has much more up his sleeve.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2008
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    They aren't far from that. If they wouldn't be by Powell you wouldn't give a damn about them, so many similar scores are being written everyday by lesser-known composers and nobody cares while suddenly these are being presented as comparable to his best works? Come on.

But I'm not comparing them to "hist best works". I'm defending them as musical scores that, were more than functional and serviceable (like Hancock) as well as tuneful and still comparable examples of the skills of the composer (Panda & Horton). And the notion that because they don't completely work as pure listening experience, doesn't signify that they are mediocre scores, irregardless of whose name is attached.

So tell me about the similar scores being written everyday by lesser known composers...

Don't challenge me, i can lay down names and scores. There's a bunch of Adrian Johnston scores or Mark McKenzie scores, A bunch of Korean / Japanese / Chinese gems, Tuomas Kantelinen's animated scores, the talented young people over at Moviescoremedia.com and even from RC studios, Jim Dooley and James L.Venable or Rupert Gregson Williams spit out all the time similar stuff with that, do you see any of those mentioned anywhere?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I understand your point Demetris but Powell has built up an impressive-enough body of work that his music is bound to attract more attention than a lot of other composers' - he has deserved it through the quality of stuff he has done in the past. Hancock and Horton and whatever might not be A-grade, top-quality film music, but they're by one of the few younger composers who has developed his own voice (which has turned out to be one of the most influential in modern film music) and enough of a set of high-quality scores that he is worth following. He might not hit the ball out of the park every time, but he generally delivers decent stuff which - unlike the music heard in an awful lot of Hollywood films these days - is not mediocre.

You know very well the reason why we talk about John Powell more than Tuomas Kantelinen and Adrian Johnston, and that's because those composers simply don't work on as high-profile projects. It's not like there are loads of people around saying Powell's music is great but Kantelinen's is rubbish - people just haven't heard the latter, because they can't afford to buy everything and not everyone is content to just illegally download stuff. Personally I think Kantelinen is very good indeed, and so is McKenzie and based on the very little I've heard, Johnston is good as well - but they're not working on $100m blockbusters every month or two, so it's simple logic that they won't get talked about so much.

I don't really understand why we can't just be content to celebrate that there's a guy out there who's under the age of 50, writing his own brand of film score which doesn't just sound like everything else, and generally doing it well. Not everyone can do five-star stuff every time and just because it's not five-star doesn't make it mediocre.

I share your frustration that some of the less well-known, but really very talented, composers out there don't get the attention their music deserves - but don't really see why that has to translate into knocking someone with the talent of Powell when there are far more deserving targets around.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Meh! From what you seem to imply, I'll pass. I have yet to hear a score for an animated movie that can capture the same propulsive and manic energy of the John Powell stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Southall wrote
    I understand your point Demetris but Powell has built up an impressive-enough body of work that his music is bound to attract more attention than a lot of other composers' - he has deserved it through the quality of stuff he has done in the past. Hancock and Horton and whatever might not be A-grade, top-quality film music, but they're by one of the few younger composers who has developed his own voice (which has turned out to be one of the most influential in modern film music) and enough of a set of high-quality scores that he is worth following. He might not hit the ball out of the park every time, but he generally delivers decent stuff which - unlike the music heard in an awful lot of Hollywood films these days - is not mediocre.

You know very well the reason why we talk about John Powell more than Tuomas Kantelinen and Adrian Johnston, and that's because those composers simply don't work on as high-profile projects. It's not like there are loads of people around saying Powell's music is great but Kantelinen's is rubbish - people just haven't heard the latter, because they can't afford to buy everything and not everyone is content to just illegally download stuff. Personally I think Kantelinen is very good indeed, and so is McKenzie and based on the very little I've heard, Johnston is good as well - but they're not working on $100m blockbusters every month or two, so it's simple logic that they won't get talked about so much.

I don't really understand why we can't just be content to celebrate that there's a guy out there who's under the age of 50, writing his own brand of film score which doesn't just sound like everything else, and generally doing it well. Not everyone can do five-star stuff every time and just because it's not five-star doesn't make it mediocre.

I share your frustration that some of the less well-known, but really very talented, composers out there don't get the attention their music deserves - but don't really see why that has to translate into knocking someone with the talent of Powell when there are far more deserving targets around.

Wow! Nicely put! I didn't know you could write so well! tongue

Have a pint on me! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Southall wrote
    ' - he has deserved it through the quality of stuff he has done in the past.

Exactly, 2008 was so and so for him and certainly not comparable.

Hancock and Horton and whatever might not be A-grade, top-quality film music, but they're by one of the few younger composers who has developed his own voice (which has turned out to be one of the most influential in modern film music)

The Bourne scores are that; hancock and Horton are plain mickey-mousing and Panda is Zimmer.

You know very well the reason why we talk about John Powell more than Tuomas Kantelinen and Adrian Johnston, and that's because those composers simply don't work on as high-profile projects. It's not like there are loads of people around saying Powell's music is great but Kantelinen's is rubbish - people just haven't heard the latter, because they can't afford to buy everything and not everyone is content to just illegally download stuff.

Firstly, i don't believe there are that many people anymore who buy all that stuff. And even if they are (which i highly doubt), they have money for every single Powell thingy and nothing for everything else which - in many cases - is of significantly higher quality or - at least - more varicolored and perhaps - new or genuine? Oh, the irony.

Because is Powell; I won't start waving the flag just because he is around and still writes a bunch of notes since he can do so much more and 2008 seems dry, on auto-pilot, more of the same, use whatever word you want, don't get stuck on "mediocre". He can deliver the goods and he has showed it, he can push the envelope and be ground-breaking - something we are desperate for in film music these days and since he is (As you say above) in a privileged position of being able to work on high-profile stuff and be heard easier and wider than others less fortunate, if he ain't going to deliver, who's going to do it? If anyone else of the same level - say Giacchino, starts doing soulless mickey-mousing or underscore or anything else on auto-pilot as well, i will get equally pissed i guarantee that to you.

See my points above.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lp wrote
    Meh! From what you seem to imply, I'll pass. I have yet to hear a score for an animated movie that can capture the same propulsive and manic energy of the John Powell stuff.

Fair enough; we're debating with arguments, on a civilized tone so far and my intention is far from forcing anyone to like / dislike specific stuff or hear stuff they don't want to.

But your attitude further proves my points in the post above, sadly. slant Some of that stuff you don't want to hear is either equally good or in most cases far better than the mainstream Hollywood output we get today.

On another level - and don't take me wrong, it'd make the conversation much more meaningful (at least to me, don't know about what others thing) if you were something more than two letters; i don't know who you are, your age, your background, nothing; it's like talking to a computer (which has some strong opinions and it's good for debating must i say wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    Because is Powell; I won't start waving the flag just because he is around and still writes a bunch of notes since he can do so much more and 2008 seems dry, on auto-pilot, more of the same, use whatever word you want, don't get stuck on "mediocre". He can deliver the goods and he has showed it, he can push the envelope and be ground-breaking - something we are desperate for in film music these days and since he is (As you say above) in a privileged position of being able to work on high-profile stuff and be heard easier and wider than others less fortunate, if he ain't going to deliver, who's going to do it? If anyone else of the same level - say Giacchino, starts doing soulless mickey-mousing or underscore or anything else on auto-pilot as well, i will get equally pissed i guarantee that to you.

Well, for me Speed Racer is for Giacchino just what Hancock or Jumper is for Powell - a lesser (but not bad) recreation of earlier, better stuff. Don't really see the difference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Although Giacchino was just an example and not really the point of essence here, still Speed Racer is frantic, crazed and genuine in its own terms, it doesn't hold back and it's all over the place. I don't see how drone (Jumper) or underscore (Hancock) bears any of those qualities (with the exception of the final part of Hancock).
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

Fair enough; we're debating with arguments, on a civilized tone so far and my intention is far from forcing anyone to like / dislike specific stuff or hear stuff they don't want to.

But your attitude further proves my points in the post above, sadly. slant Some of that stuff you don't want to hear is either equally good or in most cases far better than the mainstream Hollywood output we get today.

Woah, hold on, don't get me wrong about this. I've heard way more "non-mainstream" soundtracks than I would care to share. I know what kind of music you're talking about, and they're not the same. I don't love John Powell's animation scores (especially Horton) but what's he able to provide for the 3D movies is more unique and "infectious" than everything I've heard up till now. Not quite the Scott Bradley scores but in the same spirit. The Rupert Gregson-Williams/Jim Dooley scores are for a different model of animation, and even though they're good in their own right, they're not the same. Japanimation aren't the same kind of show that John's doing. Again, apples vs. tomato.

Christodoulides wrote
    On another level - and don't take me wrong, it'd make the conversation much more meaningful (at least to me, don't know about what others thing) if you were something more than two letters; i don't know who you are, your age, your background, nothing; it's like talking to a computer (which has some strong opinions and it's good for debating must i say wink )

Yeah.... LP are my initials. I'm just lazy about posting stuff like this... Another day, another time, too lazy....
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Although Giacchino was just an example and not really the point of essence here, still Speed Racer is frantic, crazed and genuine in its own terms, it doesn't hold back and it's all over the place. I don't see how drone (Jumper) or underscore (Hancock) bears any of those qualities (with the exception of the final part of Hancock).

Can Giacchino score two 3D animation movie and a couple action movie and a romantic comedy while still being consistent?

BTW, have you seen both Jumper and Hancock? The scores are what they are because of the movie, not because John couldn't deliver the goods. What he did was very good in spite of the respective movies.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    For the first time in ages, I'm on neutral ground. I too believe Powell is still doing very well for himself, but I also yearn for something "new"! angelic
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008
    Please find the link below to the Powell performances at Ubeda '07. I wait in great anticipation of Mr. "J00 haz recorded itz but haz messed upz - j00 needs m0re skillz!!1!" to show up.

Link
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008 edited
    Disney's BOLT soundtrack release: November 25!

http://www.amazon.com/Bolt-Disney/dp/B001EQUETG/

But still not sure how many score tracks are on this album. It's Disney tongue
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008
    Miya wrote

I think it all depends on the number of songs they're going to have in the film. but still this is going to be interesting. On one side we have a composer who cares about his works being released, on the other side we have a label that doesn't care about scores being released...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Miya wrote

Goody goody, if there's score in it, and lots of it - HOPEFULLY NOT SPLIT IN 1-MINUTE TRACKS (i am asking too much? shame) then there's a good possibility we might be looking at something very interesting here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSylvos
    Christodoulides wrote
    HOPEFULLY NOT SPLIT IN 1-MINUTE TRACKS

Amen to that.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

Goody goody, if there's score in it, and lots of it - HOPEFULLY NOT SPLIT IN 1-MINUTE TRACKS (i am asking too much? shame) then there's a good possibility we might be looking at something very interesting here.

Have you seen the trailer for this movie? You have expectations?? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Miya wrote

Have you seen the trailer for this movie? You have expectations?? confused

Screw the movie; i have expectations about the score.
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    It is John Powell composing for an animated film. All of his music for animated films has been good so far. I'm hoping for something good this time as well.
  1. "Bolt" score is still recording, I think.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. My review of HANCOCK, if anyone's interested:
    http://www.moviemusicuk.us/hancockcd.htm

I really liked it smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008 edited
    An extended clip from Disney’s Bolt (with score!)

Is it demo track? The orchestra sounds somewhat unnatural... but quality is not good so I'm not sure.

btw when I saw this article I misread "extended scene" as "extended score" and almost jumped for joy... shame
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2008 edited
    Miya wrote
    Is it demo track?

Yes.

Or Disney are cutting back big time on the sound budget.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote
    Is it demo track?

Yes.

or they spend too much money for Hannah Montana girl's song tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2008
    Miya wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Miya wrote
    Is it demo track?

Yes.

That's not the worst of it. I heard John Travolta will be singing...again... cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2008
    Miya wrote

Yeah, that's true! tongue You know, that's what defines "Disney music" for the guys out here these days, those old DIsney classic songs are history sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008
    BOLT official site!

http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/bolt/
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    Ahhh, so there's that thread.

I have nothing to say at the moment, other than John Powell rocks my socks off. Paycheck forever, baby.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    You are NOT alone, Heero. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn