• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2008
    He's my favourite of the "Media Venturers". Those to emerge from Hans Zimmer's posse. He's also the one I believe has crafted the most distinctive personal style of them all, away from the original Venture-sound of the late 90s. Not that there was anything wrong with that, but to see such orchestral colour coming out of a Media Venturer in post-2000 scores is very refreshing. The fact that he was able to make that transition is probably the reason he became such a big bankable name, while others such as Nick Glennie-Smith sadly didn't.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008
    Just found this song in Youtube. It appears to be an unused, unreleased track that Powell created for the Bourne Ultimatum. Sounds strange, yet resembling. I don't know whether this would have fitted for the movie (maybe that's why it was rejected), but it doesn't sound bad on its own. C'mon Powell, give us an extended ultimate deluxe box from this trilogy, or something! smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTYgzqpnoqE
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I can't look at it as I'm at work, but is it just the remix of To The Roof that's in the end credits?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    It seems to me like a demo or an alternate take on some of the themes, but I don´t know. Besides, audio in youtube is not the best you can get, so difficult to tell. Maybe Anthony can help once he listens the clip.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Is it "The Bourne Identity" from The Bourne Identity? wink
  1. Brett Ratner might be directing the new Conan remake. While I would like to see Schifrin at least get a chance to show what he can do, I doubt the studio will let him. Probably turn to Powell, who scored X3.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Brett Ratner might be directing the new Conan remake. While I would like to see Schifrin at least get a chance to show what he can do, I doubt the studio will let him. Probably turn to Powell, who scored X3.

What about Danny Elfman? Anyway, if Brett Ratner is directing I could care less about who is composing the score. BRETT RATNER? That's the best they could come up with? Generic!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Why wouldn't they let Schifrin? If anything he's more qualified than Powell for something like this.

Then again, the studio is letting Ratner at the helm of a film again, so clearly someone's lost it. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    justin boggan wrote
    Brett Ratner might be directing the new Conan remake. While I would like to see Schifrin at least get a chance to show what he can do, I doubt the studio will let him. Probably turn to Powell, who scored X3.

You know, it'll be interesting to see John Powell do a big epic orchestral score. I wanna see if he can do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote

You know, it'll be interesting to see John Powell do a big epic orchestral score. I wanna see if he can do it.

And X-Men III wasn't a big, epic orchestral score?

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

What about Danny Elfman? Anyway, if Brett Ratner is directing I could care less about who is composing the score. BRETT RATNER? That's the best they could come up with? Generic!

-Erik-

Did anyone seriously expect anything substantial and .... errmmm, SERIOUS out of a hollywood conan remake in 2009?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

It was. This time make it non-boring biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

Did anyone seriously expect anything substantial and .... errmmm, SERIOUS out of a hollywood conan remake in 2009?

It's possible. Why not? If we can get a respectable Batman film then I'm sure if you get the right people you can get a solid Conan film. Jeez... and you say I'm the impersonation of negativity.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    lp wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

It was. This time make it non-boring biggrin

Boring? X-Men III? Far from it. Not even should if you know what the word means if you describe Powell's X-Men III as boring.

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Well it is, for many other people as well i believe. Apart from a couple of bombast tracks, the rest is on auto pilot, when you take into consideration Powell's general body of work. I'd take PAYCHECK - the whole of it, every single note, a thousand times and any day over the generic 3/4 of X-MEN III.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

It's possible. Why not? If we can get a respectable Batman film then I'm sure if you get the right people you can get a solid Conan film. Jeez... and you say I'm the impersonation of negativity.

-Erik-

biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

And how many times has this been proven in modern hollywood for this kind of movies, lately? As in the last 10 years or so, apart the Batman Films? let me tell you: Zero.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Because the original Conan was so sensible, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    justin boggan wrote

-Erik-

-Erik-

And how many times has this been proven in modern hollywood for this kind of movies, lately? As in the last 10 years or so, apart the Batman Films? let me tell you: Zero.

Lord of the Rings! Conan, if done RIGHT, could come out as good as the Lord of the Rings if you get the right people involved. And other comic book adaptations have come out just fine in the past few years. The first two Spider-Man pictures, Hellboy, the world LOVED Iron Man, Sin City, etc. It is possible... but not with Brett Ratner on board!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote

While it was a slow moving picture and really didn't relate much to the comic books that came before it, it's still a much better picture than what would be produced today with someone like Brett Ratner involved. I still watch the movie from time to time... and I really enjoy it. And it was one of those rare films where a great score was the glue that held the film together. A wonderful marriage of vis and music!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Seriously not comparing the Lord of the Rings (not that i'd enlist it in "comic books", really, but still) with all that other stuff you mentioned, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

While it was a slow moving picture and really didn't relate much to the comic books that came before it, it's still a much better picture than what would be produced today with someone like Brett Ratner involved. I still watch the movie from time to time... and I really enjoy it. And it was one of those rare films where a great score was the glue that held the film together. A wonderful marriage of vis and music!

-Erik-

Fair enough, it still comes down to one's background and what he grew up with, imo. Personally, If it hadn't been for the phenomenal score, i'd roll down the floor laughing;

not that i don't occasionally still do it with this film wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Seriously not comparing the Lord of the Rings (not that i'd enlist it in "comic books", really, but still) with all that other stuff you mentioned, right?

You asked if there have been any good and great comic book films or films of that sort in the past ten years. I gave you a list of good or great ones.

As for the Lord of the Rings example... the tone is similar in LOTR and Conan. If you can make a great LOTR you can make a great Conan. I mean, any film can be great but only if you can get the right people involved and let them make a good film without a lot of outside interference.

-Erik-
  2. Personally, only Yared could pull off what it needs. Unless it's some crappy crap like other remakes, then I could care less who scores it.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    On another note: this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Erik Woods wrote
    Southall wrote

-Erik-

Fair enough, it still comes down to one's background and what he grew up with, imo. Personally, If it hadn't been for the phenomenal score, i'd roll down the floor laughing;

not that i don't occasionally still do it with this film wink

Well, I didn't grow up with Conan. I had a vague idea of what he was before I saw the film but Conan: the Barbarian was my first introduction to the world of Conan. I enjoyed it. Now, if you want to talk about rolling on the ground laughing watch Conan The Destroyer!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Hope it's better than 3. After the very good 1 and fabulous 2, imo, 3 put me to sleep. Waiting for this one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    justin boggan wrote
    Personally, only Yared could pull off what it needs. Unless it's some crappy crap like other remakes, then I could care less who scores it.

Disagree completely that Yared is the ONLY one. Guys like Ed Shearmur, Elliot Goldenthal, Joel Goldsmith, David Arnold, etc are more than capable of delivering the goods for a film of this sort. Even Lalo Schifrin who would be an inspired choice!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Hope it's better than 3. After the very good 1 and fabulous 2, imo, 3 put me to sleep. Waiting for this one.

Jumping the Shark with a 4th one, IMHO!

-Erik-
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Are you talking about the movie or score?

(I assume score, as I agree with you there. In terms of movie, the second is also my favourite).