• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    X-MEN III bores me to hell.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

crazy crazy

Bah, keep waiting for the Lost Season 3 score kiss (damn I want it too)
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

crazy crazy

Bah, keep waiting for the Lost Season 3 score kiss (damn I want it too)

Hey, I'm waiting for Lost season 3 too! sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008 edited
    British movie magazine Total Film has a special feature this month:

Total Film Hot 100: The Hottest 100 People In Hollywood Right Now

52 JOHN POWELL
    COMPOSER

Tunesmith of choice for Bourne boys Doug Liman and Paul Greengrass, Powell did remarkable note-work on the series - propelling the carnage yet still finding space for emotion. He's versatile too, with pulsating action scores flip-flopping for comedy-hits. Past highlights include brilliantly playful compositions for animated fare such as Shrek, Robots, Ice Age: The Meltdown and Happy Feet.
    What's next? Reunited with Liman for sci-fi action flick Jumper, he follows that up with sensitive Irag war drama Stop-Loss and then The Green Zone for Mr Greengrass. He'll also be providing the tunes for Dr Seuss tale Horton Hears A Who!

Nice to see a composer make it to the list (well two actually, Clint Mansell is at 76). This could be another fantastic year for Powell.

cool
  1. Looking at the recent BAFTA nominations for music, I think it's a shame Powell wasn't nominated for Ultimatum... and it was the same deal last year. The voters must have cloth ears.

A favourite Powell score of mine is Paycheck. I don't think are many composers out there blending synth and orchestra in the way he can. For me he's a kind of modern day Herrmann (Paycheck sounds like a homage to North by Northwest in places, and also happens to be about a man on the run). Powell seems to have this incredible action formula fusing Hermann-esque orchestration and edgy synth elements, with 'ethnic' percussion making it more exotic than your average Hollywood fare.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2008 edited
    Hmm, I don't think Ultimatum should deserve a nomination. I thought it was Powell's weakest Bourne effort. Paycheck is awesome though, easily in my top 3 Powell scores (which I THINK is Cody Banks, Supremacy and Paycheck).

Just so people know, The Green Zone = Imperial Life In The Emerald City. Powell IS scoring it and it's out next year some time. www.johnpowellcomposer.com/news.htm for more info...plus, I've changed the filmography round a bit and have also added a rumored/unconfirmed list of projects. wink

P.S., Does anyone else love the main theme from Drumline?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    Rumour of a Jumper soundtrack being released on 12th Feb by Lakeshore. Again, only a rumour so far and uncertain if it's a soundtrack or score album. If anyone get's confirmation please let us know! smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    Well I don't have the details, but I can assure you with 99% certainty there is going to be a score release of Jumper. punk
  2. Horton remake has either started or finished recording. Don't know for sure.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008
    Wow, that's late. I'd have thought it would have been finished ages ago. Stop Loss and P.S., I Love You were done in June/July and I imagine Jumper was already done before Christmas. shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorbartley
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    Jumper is listed on Amazon... but no specs.
    Any ideas on what approach he is taking? possible similar to the Bournes?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008 edited
    Well...from what I've heard (and I'm not going to believe it until I hear it), this may be a drone score. And Ryan over at Cinemusic has said it's "Powell's most ho-hum score since maybe Chill Factor". Let's hope it's not even close. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Well...from what I've heard (and I'm not going to believe it until I hear it), this may be a drone score. And Ryan over at Cinemusic has said it's "Powell's most ho-hum score since maybe Chill Factor". Let's hope it's not even close. slant

vomit
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    A drone? Yay... rolleyes
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Hey, like I said, don't believe anything until you hear it.

Cover for Jumper: http://www.johnpowellcomposer.com/disco … htm#Jumper
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    LOL! I actually thought it was "jumper" as in the garment that you wear on your torso. I was thinking...how exciting can a score for that be?!?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008
    Thor wrote
    LOL! I actually thought it was "jumper" as in the garment that you wear on your torso. I was thinking...how exciting can a score for that be?!?

wink Me too! Now I've seen the cover I have no idea what it might be about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    It's about some guys with some random power to teleport anywhere in the world instantly. The trailer makes it look incredibly boring. I'm far, FAR more interested in Powell's other current projects.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I agree with you Matt. But the teaser trailer is much better than the theatrical. The theatrical doesn't really explain anything at all. Oh, and I can't stand the line ''If there's stuff you don't want to tell me then fine...just don't lie to me.''. Come on. crazy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Oh, I'm totally ininterested in the film. The only thing this tells me is: "Powell delivers a new action-adventure score! Yay!"
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let's hope. wink

Possibly a track list today or tomorrow... wave
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    Cool! I can possibly see the film next week, at february 7th, at a screening for the press, but I guess soundclips have already leaked out by then?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    Possibly...

Personally I can't always get a hold of new soundtracks for a couple of weeks though as everything gets delayed coming over from America at first. sad

I shall need to steal my samples. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2008 edited
    Scribe wrote
    It's about some guys with some random power to teleport anywhere in the world instantly. The trailer makes it look incredibly boring.

:long yaaaaaawn:

I am SO interested on the score though!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    • CommentAuthorTimmer

Not a great cover, but brilliant compared to some of the truly bad one's we've seen over the years.

I'd say it's barely okay! slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Didn't I post that the other day? tongue But anyway, it's barable, better than Ultimatum's for sure! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008 edited
    Oh, no, I definitely prefer the Ultimatum one. But, then again, the film doesn't have any brilliant theatrical posters either. Probably because it isn't such a brilliant film.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'd have still used the Matrix-style poster if I was doing the cover....speaking of which...that's my project for tonight!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008 edited
    I've heard Jumper. biggrin It's very, very interesting. A combination of rock and classical music mixed with electronics. Think big X-Men style action music that's more rock influenced. punk

Edit: Lakeshore have just added 1 track ("Coliseum Fight") to their MySpace page. That should give you an idea of what the score is like. http://www.myspace.com/lakeshorescores Enjoy! wave