• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorPanthera
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008
    I hope it stays that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I agree. I remember the days of 30~35 Varese releases. Sad times.

And my answer to the issue of a score with 30 minutes of great music and 50 of dull music is: gosh darn it, get a better composer!!!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Panthera wrote
    I think the majority of people prefer to have somewhat lengthier releases. I'd be happy if 50-70 minutes could become the industry standard.

But wouldn't that be dependent on the music? Some scores hold up well in that length (and even beyond), others do not.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    But like I said: if the score can't hold up to that length then just get a better composer. If a guy sucks, we deserve to know this. It's not fair to paint him under an unfairly glorifying light by only including the highlights of his scores.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    HeeroJF wrote
    But like I said: if the score can't hold up to that length then just get a better composer. If a guy sucks, we deserve to know this. It's not fair to paint him under an unfairly glorifying light by only including the highlights of his scores.

Surely the objective should be to produce the best album?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    But then we are talking about scores which weren't designed for album purposes in the first place. Sure, nothing's stopping a producer from at least trying to make a good album out of a score, and I'm certainly glad they do, but scores are about musical narrative and storytelling, not necessarily or intrinsically about "great albums".

I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I agree. When I listen to a score, I can tell I'm being told a story. Even if it's from a film I've never seen. My imagination fills in the gaps using the track titles and the music itself.

That's why concert hall classical music does nothing for me. Or pop music. In terms of social medium, there's no difference between Mozart and 50 Cents. They both write music with the direct and sole purpose of entertaining their contemporaries, with no greater whole. Not my thing, either way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    But then we come back to the age-old difference between people who like film music because they think it's good music, and people who like it because it reminds them of films they've seen. If I want to spend 80 minutes being reminded of a film then I may as well spend 90 minutes watching the film rather than 80 minutes listening to its soundtrack album.

As Steven says, the music was not designed for an album, which is precisely the reason that presenting all of it, in film order, is rarely a good idea. I want the best listening experience possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    If you're a true artist, I feel, then you will write film music as if it were designed for an album, even if it's not, or not in whole.

I think there's a big different between listening to 80 minutes of film memorabilia and watching said film. Watching a film occupies two senses and your whole sphere of attention and consciousness. Listening to music is something you can do while being productive. And like I said: the story you're being told by the music is one fueled by your own imagination, and isn't the same one as the film. I don't need to have seen the film to enjoy the musical journey.

And I'd like that journey to make sense: not have any holes, and have a clear beginning, middle and end.

That's why I don't like compilations. It's like reading the cards of a library index. Or sitting through a dozen movie trailers. Ultimately very frustrating and unfullfilling to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote

Actually, a film composer makes music that suits the FILM best. That's his first priority. If it holds up alone, then great. Bonus! Not all do that, though, and ESPECIALLY not those that are presented verbatim as in the film, A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT MEDIUM with completely different musical rules. We have to separate between music that happens to have an "autonomous" quality about it (numerous themes, interesting textures etc.) and music adapting itself to a different medium. Two different things.

Brad Fiedel's TERMINATOR scores are superb film scores, but not that great alone, especially not if presented C&C. Here's a case where a suite would be a far better representation of the score on CD and that would provide hours of listening pleasure.

The only way a film score can provide sufficient listening pleasure for me is if it is as far removed from the film and the film's narrative as possible, yet retaining the musical integrity.

I have a slogan that reads "the purpose of a soundtrack album is not to retell the film musically, but to recommunicate its music musically!".
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    True, but I firmly believe that Fiedel could've made his Terminator scores more enjoyable as stand-alone pieces without sacrificing any of their effectiveness, in theory. Case in point: T2 is just as, if not more effective than T1, and yet is immeasurably more entertaining on CD than T1 (or so I believe).

While it's true that a film composer's first and foremost priority is to the film, let's not forget that film directors and producers typically aren't film music experts or even fans. If you add brilliant hooks and motifs in your score, they're likely to not even notice or care. So as long as you've satisfied their basic demands you can then take it from there spruce up your fans thinking of it as the artwork that it is.

But some films are just destined to be music land fields. Many horror films for instance. When a film demands a fundamentally unlikable score to drive it along, not even the best composer can salvage that situation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 9th 2008 edited
    HeeroJF wrote
    True, but I firmly believe that Fiedel could've made his Terminator scores more enjoyable as stand-alone pieces without sacrificing any of their effectiveness, in theory. Case in point: T2 is just as, if not more effective than T1, and yet is immeasurably more entertaining on CD than T1 (or so I believe).

While it's true that a film composer's first and foremost priority is to the film, let's not forget that film directors and producers typically aren't film music experts or even fans. If you add brilliant hooks and motifs in your score, they're likely to not even notice or care. So as long as you've satisfied their basic demands you can then take it from there spruce up your fans thinking of it as the artwork that it is.

But some films are just destined to be music land fields. Many horror films for instance. When a film demands a fundamentally unlikable score to drive it along, not even the best composer can salvage that situation.

Seriously, I think the film composer's ONLY thought should be: what music suits this film; the mood; the narrative? WHEN should there be music etc. If that means droning soundscapes with little musical value, then GREAT. If that means a simple, plonking guitar theme throughout the film, then great. That's what the film called for. That is IN NO WAY a statement of the composer's quality....if anything, it says something about how GOOD he is, understanding what the film demands (in conversation with the director). If film composers wanted to compose music that stood on its own very well....well, then they wouldn't be composing film music in the first place. OF COURSE, there are those composers whose styles are very "autonomous" in the first place.....who compose music that is based on the rules of, say, classical symphonic compositions (Williams, Goldenthal etc.). But even they would have to re-arrange, adapt, inverse, abbreviate their music the moment it swaps medium. Music works differently on film and CD!

It is up to the record producers (who are sometimes the composers themselves) to make this adaptation or transition as smooth as possible. They KNOW music, especially if it's their own, and know what to remove, what tracks should follow what, what "segments" of the album should have this and that sensation so that it becomes a coherent experience that flows naturally like any other type of music. At least as much as possible (film music will almost always have more "specific" qualities than other genres). But this is something that happens AFTER the film has been composed and AFTER the music has been fit to the scenes in question. Now we're turning from film to CD, and have to rethink the material, just as one has to re-think the literary material in a filmatic adaptation.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    I agree with your first paragraph, but I still disagree with the editing and arranging process you describe. I think a CD presentation should basically say: "This is the kind of music this movie demanded, and this is how this composer acquitted himself of that task. You be the judge of it." And the only way we can be impartial judges is with a C&C presentation. Otherwise we're not basing our opinions on the score but rather a portion of it. I can't possibly argue that some scores make for better listening experiences when they're abbreviated, but I still don't think that's being fair to the score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    If romantic composers of the late 19th and the 20th century lived to see your discrimination of programme musical material from "real, standalone music" (exaggerating to make a point), they would surely be kicking your tiny butts.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Oh, most definitely. I expect anyone devoted to their art to eagerly kick my shabs at my belittling attitude, whether it's a modern rapper or a classic composer, and they'd probably be all the more offended to hear me put them in the same basket as one another. At which point I can slink away and let them fight among each other and chlll out with Wojciech Kilar and David Newman and discuss his brother's haircut.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008
    I just had a dream I was listening to a Bolt Academy Promo! Looks like it's grown on me a lot tongue biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    I just had a dream I was listening to a Bolt Academy Promo! Looks like it's grown on me a lot tongue biggrin

Wrong....this is not the weird dreams thread tongue
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah, but it's appropriate enough for Bolt biggrin

At least it's not *so* weird tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    DemonStar wrote
    Marselus wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Yeah, but it's appropriate enough for Bolt biggrin

At least it's not *so* weird tongue

Fair enough wink
    Anyway it´s just a matter of time. If there´s more music, a promo / whatever will appear someday.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Marselus wrote
    Anyway it´s just a matter of time. If there´s more music, a promo / whatever will appear someday.

Fingers crossed!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Let's just hope a complete bootleg appears...

...they usually have good enough mixing. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    I agree with your first paragraph, but I still disagree with the editing and arranging process you describe. I think a CD presentation should basically say: "This is the kind of music this movie demanded, and this is how this composer acquitted himself of that task. You be the judge of it." And the only way we can be impartial judges is with a C&C presentation. Otherwise we're not basing our opinions on the score but rather a portion of it. I can't possibly argue that some scores make for better listening experiences when they're abbreviated, but I still don't think that's being fair to the score.

I have the opposite view. I think the unfair thing is to present a score C&C. As I've said repeatedly, music works differently on CD than it does in film, and when the music "swaps" medium, you have to do something about it; you have to adapt it to fit the new medium. It's unfair to "force" the properties of one medium onto the properties of another.

But again, I respect your different approach to the soundtrack album experience, and it probably comes from our different paths into the interest - you probably came mostly through movies while I came mostly through music (evolution from prog rock to instrumental electronic music to film music).
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    So by your account, we're never truly praising the talents of the composers themselves, but the record producer, who went through the decisions of how to build the album?

I think any score probably has some material that would make for a smashing CD release. Even if it's only a single two-minute track that you're gonna include on an omnibus album of some kind. So you're saying it's up to the producer to recognize that and make the best possible use of that music.

But I guess this is where the collector in me rears up. When I play a CD, I don't want only to be entertained. I want to get to know an artist, to get a feel for his work, to really understand what he can do. I don't want it sugarcoated by the presentation of a short score, or a compilation. But that's just me. See, if we ultimately listen to scores for different reasons, that might explain our different views.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm bored of this discussion now. I don't care anymore. sleep
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    I'm bored of this discussion now. I don't care anymore. sleep

Don't leave now!! Just start talking about John Powell again, that's all! It's his thread after all. biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Was Kung Fu Panda performed by the China National Symphony? It was a big deal when they announced Powell was on the project too, and then *nothing*.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    Anthony wrote
    Was Kung Fu Panda performed by the China National Symphony? It was a big deal when they announced Powell was on the project too, and then *nothing*.

I don't think it was ever mentioned that KFP will be performed by the China National Symphony. confused
  1. It was announced when Zimmer was the single composer to score it. Then they talked about it when Powell joined in. The credit is nowhere to be found on CD though.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It was announced when Zimmer was the single composer to score it. Then they talked about it when Powell joined in. The credit is nowhere to be found on CD though.

Or in the movie.

Plus Isobel Griffiths contracted the orchestra...and she works in London.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThomas
    PawelStroinski wrote
    It was announced when Zimmer was the single composer to score it. Then they talked about it when Powell joined in. The credit is nowhere to be found on CD though.

I don't think so. "Movie music master Hans Zimmer will be heading to China to absorb the culture and get to know the Chinese National Symphony -- all as part of his preparation to compose for a forthcoming feature film that is set in that ancient land." does not imply that the CNS will record the score.