• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    Again?
  1. Does anyone have the longer version of Powell's "Beam"?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Longer?
  2. sure, it is based on Francesco Lupica's Cosmic Beam, and Powell embellished it with an orchestral score. It is longer . . . much longer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    confused
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    What? Beam is a cue from The Thin Red Line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Bourne in the Middle East again? A longer version of "Beam"? What´s going on!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Bourne in Baghdad then.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's been done to death, this Middle-Eastern thingy with the terrsts and us action in the territory.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. It IS a cue from Thin Red Line, and by being a cue, it is an excerpt of something longer . ..
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009
    ice age dawn of dinousaurs : end credits from 1:36 to 2:06.

This seconds drives me crazy! punk punk punk
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    paulmaherjr wrote
    It IS a cue from Thin Red Line, and by being a cue, it is an excerpt of something longer . ..

...a score...by Hans Zimmer...? rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    paulmaherjr wrote
    It IS a cue from Thin Red Line, and by being a cue, it is an excerpt of something longer . ..

...a score...by Hans Zimmer...? rolleyes

Powell did one track. And it's one of the best tracks of the whole album!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    paulmaherjr wrote

Koko? Is this you?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    :D

I thought that too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Marselus wrote
    paulmaherjr wrote

Koko? Is this you?

freezing
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorpaulmaherjr
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2009 edited
    First, I agree, it IS one of the best tracks, and not just because of Powell, but also Lupica's Cosmic Beam giving it that atmospheric feel . . . btw, "Beam" is sampled for a few seconds at the beginning of Public Enemies when Depp escapes in the car. No credit that i could see was given for the track or the composers, but it's there regardless.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think I speak for all of us here that we don't know what you're talking about.
  4. Then your answer would be that nobody here has the longer version of "Beam."

Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Paul, "Beam" is a 3:44 minute cue in the soundtrack cd (I assume you have the cd or know this detail). I honestly don´t remember if a longer version of the cue is used in the film; actually I don´t even remember when this particular cue is used, although it is probably edited in the picture as most of the tracks are. So, what´s exactly your question?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And what is "Lupica's Cosmic Beam" and what does this have to do with Powell's cue?
    • CommentAuthorpaulmaherjr
    Anthony wrote
    And what is "Lupica's Cosmic Beam" and what does this have to do with Powell's cue?

Powell based his cue around an original composition by Francesco Lupica titled "Beam." The track is longer, it is edited on the TTRL soundtrack. let us forget it, ok?

Let me add this, Powell based his composition on Lupica's and "forget" to credit the original composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    No problem Paul.

I'm surprised Anthony didn't knew.
    Kazoo
  5. "A number of specialty instruments are employed by Zimmer, though their roles are somewhat diminished in the final mix. The Taiko drums are the most prominent of these, but their mixing varies significantly between scenes within the film and on album. The more surreal contributions by John Powell and Francesco Lupica, which do punctuate key moments in the film, offer pronounced use of Tibetan bowls and a deep electronic effect called a "Cosmic Beam." "

I think I will start a Thin red Line Thread . . .
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    paulmaherjr wrote
    Anthony wrote

Powell based his cue around an original composition by Francesco Lupica titled "Beam." The track is longer, it is edited on the TTRL soundtrack. let us forget it, ok?

Let me add this, Powell based his composition on Lupica's and "forget" to credit the original composer.

Thank you, that's what I've been asking for the past day. wink smile

Bregt wrote
    I'm surprised Anthony didn't knew.

Really? I'm the resident Giacchino nut now you know. wink
  6. paulmaherjr wrote
    "A number of specialty instruments are employed by Zimmer, though their roles are somewhat diminished in the final mix. The Taiko drums are the most prominent of these, but their mixing varies significantly between scenes within the film and on album. The more surreal contributions by John Powell and Francesco Lupica, which do punctuate key moments in the film, offer pronounced use of Tibetan bowls and a deep electronic effect called a "Cosmic Beam." "

Umm, there is one Lupica-credited track on the soundtrack (Sit Back & Relax). Possibly the Lupica composition you are talking about is a Cosmic Beam improvisation written over Powell's orchestral backdrop?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2009
    Anthony wrote
    Really? I'm the resident Giacchino nut now you know. wink

crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

Bring the John powell web back!

angry angry angry angry angry angry angry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Even better Green Zone trailer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    shocked

This looks reaaaally good. And definitely not a Bourne movie.
  7. PawelStroinski wrote
    paulmaherjr wrote
    "A number of specialty instruments are employed by Zimmer, though their roles are somewhat diminished in the final mix. The Taiko drums are the most prominent of these, but their mixing varies significantly between scenes within the film and on album. The more surreal contributions by John Powell and Francesco Lupica, which do punctuate key moments in the film, offer pronounced use of Tibetan bowls and a deep electronic effect called a "Cosmic Beam." "

Umm, there is one Lupica-credited track on the soundtrack (Sit Back & Relax). Possibly the Lupica composition you are talking about is a Cosmic Beam improvisation written over Powell's orchestral backdrop?

It is the other way around; Malick wanted to use Lupica's work for Q, right after Days of Heaven, then he disappeared. Then he materialized for Thin Red line, kept his word and used the music. Think about it, the track is called "BEAM." Powell built his orchestration around the cosmic beam music, then he ran off with the single-writer credit.