• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010
    moviescore wrote
    John Powell takes over Mars Needs Moms from Zimmer:

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2010/03/p … om-zimmer/

mc

Thanks God.

I hate when Zimmer takes this kind of projects and then delegates all the music to his underlings. I guess that why Powell joined Kung Fu panda too.

Madagascar 1 and 2, sharktale and even the simpsons was a complete disaster.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    How was it "delegated to an underling"? Sheesh.

I thought you loved KFP?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    How was it "delegated to an underling"? Sheesh.

I thought you loved KFP?

Yes, i do.

and you know why? because powell joined! if he was not hired we had another Madagascar!

I love KFP. I think it's one of the best scores from both composers, that's why i want a "making of the score"!!

By the way ..are you happy with How train?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Nautilus wrote

I agree.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I agree.

I agree. Although disaster is too kind. It is, plain and simple, bucket stuff.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I quite like 'Once Upon A Time In Africa' and 'Zoosters Breakout'. Admittedly that's about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Steven wrote
    I quite like 'Once Upon A Time In Africa' and 'Zoosters Breakout'. Admittedly that's about it.

I like your choices, and I'd add "Best Friends". It's just one of those quintessential Zimmer tune that's so ever catchy and fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I agree.

Anyone heard the Sharktale score? Outside of the one album track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I agree.

I did worse than that. I watched the movie.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Marselus wrote
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Nautilus wrote

I agree.

I did worse than that. I watched the movie.

I did both things.
    • CommentAuthorBasilB
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010
    "How to train your Dragon" is a fabulous score. Very up-lifting and full of spirit... something between Doyles "Harry Potter" and "Kung Fu Panda". I really quite like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am eager to finally come around listening to that myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    moviescore wrote
    John Powell takes over Mars Needs Moms from Zimmer:

http://moviescoremagazine.com/2010/03/p … om-zimmer/

mc

It's like he's trying to score movies from all the major animation studios! dizzy He did lots of Blue Sky and Dreamworks, one Disney, one Aardman, and now ImageMovers. So when will he get a Pixar movie?!
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Nautilus wrote
    I love KFP. I think it's one of the best scores from both composers, that's why i want a "making of the score"!!

Have you seen this? smile
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … l/#Item_12
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Miya wrote
    Nautilus wrote

Have you seen this? smile
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … l/#Item_12

Thanks Miya!!! I miss that!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I started listening to HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON today but reached 'till the 4th track and switched it off. I guess i wasn't in the mood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Christodoulides wrote
    I started listening to HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON today but reached 'till the 4th track and switched it off. I guess i wasn't in the mood.

Happened to me in my first listen (I reached track 15 though). On a second liste, things changed completely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2010 edited
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Happened to me in my first listen (I reached track 15 though). On a second liste, things changed completely.

it happened to me too.

from track 2 to 7 can be a little bit uninteresting the first time.

Listen the 8th track , Demetris.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010
  1. I liked this guy's score for X-Men: The Last Stand. It's a bit on-the-nose for my tastes, but it does the job for the movie quite well.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    How To Train Your Dragon is good, but I would struggle to justify it as a five star score. Maybe three and a half stars, four max.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Blimey. I think it's a pretty run-of-the-mill Powell score, I'd give it about 2 and a half... or maybe 3 if I'm feeling generous (which is still not bad). But 5!? Christ. I'd wouldn't be so shocked if it was purely a personal rating, but: "How to Train Your Dragon is a 5-star score all the way, a fine example of modern film music which reaffirms my faith in John Powell."

Mental. dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    And now to be a pigeon among the birds: I prefer Green Zone.
  2. Anthony wrote
    And now to be a pigeon among the birds: I prefer Green Zone.

biggrin
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Darn, you young fellows have been infected by the noise-over-melody virus shocked
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Scribe wrote
    Darn, you young fellows have been infected by the noise-over-melody virus shocked

I never expected to hear this from you! My man! kiss beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Depends on the noise. I'd pick the 'noise' of The Matrix scores over quite a lot of melodic scores out there! (Although ultimately I'd probably pick the melody of The Lord of the Rings over The Matrix scores... but only VERY marginally. Both trilogy scores are very dear to me.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Ah, the matrix isn't noise..it's far from it. It's genius, modern film scoring actually.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    I think melody isn't per definition better than themeless scoring. It's all in how it is done. Certainly Goldenthal has written fantastic themeless 'noise'. Accepting this fact in modern film scoring could be a step forward, when done right. It's just more difficult to write an engaging score without 'easy' melodies. and many of the modern generation aren't up for that task. That's what's giving it such a bad name.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2010 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Ah, the matrix isn't noise..it's far from it. It's genius, modern film scoring actually.

True. But one man's genius modern scoring is another man's noise! (And they'd be wrong of course.)