• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    Well, i rest my case wink United 93 and stop loss are such emotionally charged and perfectly shot movies, Powell only elevates them greatly. Do yourself a favor and watch those with a good sound system, esp.United 93, and then we talk again.

I'm sure I'll get around to seeing them sometime, but I doubt they'll change my opinion of the score. No matter how effective it is in the movie, it won't make the scores any more engaging on album.
  2. This is weird...normally I'm the one defending Powell. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    Well, i rest my case wink United 93 and stop loss are such emotionally charged and perfectly shot movies, Powell only elevates them greatly. Do yourself a favor and watch those with a good sound system, esp.United 93, and then we talk again.

I'm sure I'll get around to seeing them sometime, but I doubt they'll change my opinion of the score. No matter how effective it is in the movie, it won't make the scores any more engaging on album.

The score albums themselves need to be listened to on a good sound system. The soundscapes they create are alternatingly thrilling, haunting, disturbing and gorgeous. Sure there's very little melody but the harmonies and rhythms are full of interesting complexities and subtleties.

Jackman is doing Turbo? I didn't know that. I hope they let him be a little less generic than he was on Wreck-It-Ralph, which was disappointing outside of a few small cues.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
    .KK wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Demetris wrote
    New interview with Powell:

http://www.spitfireaudio.com/category/features

That's an...unusual interview. I couldn't tell where the jokes stopped, if at all. You don't see a lot of interviews with Powell...maybe this is why. dizzy

But I'm not sure I agree with his sentiments on film music at the very end there...

I still don't quite buy that interview...must be some kind of prank or something. I just can't imagine a professional speaking like that in an interview.

Powell always seemed like a nice guy too...

Well, Horner is a professional too and talks worse than that usually wink
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2013
  3. Horner's better -- he mysteriously switches accents from time-to-time. ;-)
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2013
    We're going through the archives, and we've just posted a web gallery of pix from John Powell's scoring sessions for Simon Wells' 2011 animated sci-fi film, Mars Needs Moms! ScoringSessions.com is thrilled to bring you the photos from the sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013
    I'm sure it's been mentioned over a millions times in this thread BUT i haven't said it yet. Chicken Run is one of my favourites scores and probably the very first score i actually payed proper attention to listening! smile

Now i've also learned to love Mars Needs Moms, i just wish it didn't have such a bad film to go with it.
    "Class is having lunch with the homeless and dinner with the Queen."
  4. Sarah wrote
    I'm sure it's been mentioned over a millions times in this thread BUT i haven't said it yet. Chicken Run is one of my favourites scores and probably the very first score i actually payed proper attention to listening! smile

Now i've also learned to love Mars Needs Moms, i just wish it didn't have such a bad film to go with it.

Actually I liked the film, partly because of the amazing music. I discover more often than not that movies that are considered weak but have great music are often the ones I enjoy the most (ID4, Cutthroat Island, Mars Needs Moms, ... etc etc)
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Sarah wrote

Actually I liked the film, partly because of the amazing music. I discover more often than not that movies that are considered weak but have great music are often the ones I enjoy the most (ID4, Cutthroat Island, Mars Needs Moms, ... etc etc)

I can understand that Thomas, I like THE FINAL CONFLICT but I think if it had a lesser score by a different composer I'd probably barely remember it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. the impact of music is not to be taken lightly wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  6. Sarah wrote

CHICKEN RUN is fantastic! I haven't given MARS NEEDS MOMS more than a couple of listens. The film is really bad. HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, on the other hand, is a fantastic score and a great film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    the impact of music is not to be taken lightly wink

I was once proved this point by having to watch jaws without any music....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Also I haven't yet me anyone who shares my opinion on this but the dragon, in HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, is ugly. Good film. Ugly dragon.
  7. Toothless? I found him really cute!
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Chicken Run is absolutely fantastic! I hate seeing its quality diminished by people who dismiss it as "merely" a pastiche score...same with e.g. Giacchino's The Incredibles. It's so hard to pull off pastiche and yet still hear the composer's style all over it and yet that's what Powell has done with his animated scores time and time again. It's absolutely brilliant, and so is he. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Toothless? I found him really cute!

Yep. I seem to be the only soul who finds him a meh dragon. I prefer powerful and rough looking dragons, they can still have cute characteristics but they should look like dragons.
  9. I like that they seem to have based a lot of his movements and expressions on cats. But yeah, there are times when I don't find him all that cute looking. When he's trying to smile in the "Forbidden Friendship" sequence...yeah. Usually I just close my eyes and listen to the music anyway. lovelove
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Chicken Run is absolutely fantastic! I hate seeing its quality diminished by people who dismiss it as "merely" a pastiche score...same with e.g. Giacchino's The Incredibles. It's so hard to pull off pastiche and yet still hear the composer's style all over it and yet that's what Powell has done with his animated scores time and time again. It's absolutely brilliant, and so is he. love

Really fancy watching the Incredibles now... mmm. I shall have to get the maid to download it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Sarah wrote
    I shall have to get the maid to download it.

biggrin
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sarah wrote

You can stay.
    Even if you don't like milk chocolate.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2013 edited
    Sarah wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Yep. I seem to be the only soul who finds him a meh dragon. I prefer powerful and rough looking dragons, they can still have cute characteristics but they should look like dragons.

YEAH!
    THAT! yeah

I hold out some great hopes for Smaug, but so far, there's only one proper dragon in cinema history!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    yeah Dragonslayer punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    OK film. Totally proper, massive, EVIL dragon.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    OK film. Totally proper, massive, EVIL dragon.

An exceptionally poor lead ( and so bloody American ) didn't help it. The whole look and battle between pagan and Christian beliefs was good.

In other words, yeah, I agree with you.
  10. 1924

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu-J9ewSDrc

The music is by Gottfried Hupertz (Metropolis).
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSarah
    Martijn wrote
    Sarah wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

YEAH!
    THAT! yeah

I hold out some great hopes for Smaug, but so far, there's only one proper dragon in cinema history!

He's a beauty! love
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013 edited
    Sarah wrote
    Also I haven't yet me anyone who shares my opinion on this but the dragon, in HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, is ugly. Good film. Ugly dragon.

If Toothless were a perfectly cute, awesome, cool, powerful, etc., kind of dragon, the story wouldn't have been so compelling as it is...

He's cute but ugly. Cool but weird. Sometimes gross. That's why his relationship with Hiccup is believable (like other characters Chris Sanders created, Lilo & Stitch)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    Powell's score of HTTYD is perfect, though cheesy
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2013
    I suppose they did make him a little to easy to like due to his 'cute' design, but I completely fall for his feline features and Disney eyes. Yes, I'm a teenage girl.