• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013
    I can't keep up on the latest news of film music world... so I ask here.

Is it confirmed that Powell is doing How To Train Your Dragon 2?
    The trailer is out! punk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68AqHwgk2s8
    (Not his music in it, though)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2013 edited
    Steven wrote
    I suppose they did make him a little to easy to like due to his 'cute' design, but I completely fall for his feline features and Disney eyes. Yes, I'm a teenage girl.

Probably that's true. Also, there is an inconsistency between Toothless and other dragons, in terms of character design, because Chris Sanders (director) came on board later and redid Toothless design with his own style. It's a bit weird but I don't care much about it (because I love his art style too much biggrin )
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorplindboe
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    Miya wrote
    Sarah wrote
    Also I haven't yet me anyone who shares my opinion on this but the dragon, in HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON, is ugly. Good film. Ugly dragon.

If Toothless were a perfectly cute, awesome, cool, powerful, etc., kind of dragon, the story wouldn't have been so compelling as it is...

He's cute but ugly. Cool but weird. Sometimes gross. That's why his relationship with Hiccup is believable (like other characters Chris Sanders created, Lilo & Stitch)

I didn't like the animation at all at first, but I've come to love it. Toothless is super cute to my eyes even though he looks like an axolotl.

Peter smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2013
    Piano Guys cover of Oogway Ascends from Kung Fu Panda:

http://open.spotify.com/album/7mKduA2DcNJbcbsfZb5Kxj

I would've preferred Hero, but it's nice.
  1. I like it. The music video is about to premier. They got a piano up on the Great Wall for this!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2013
    christopher wrote
    I like it. The music video is about to premier. They got a piano up on the Great Wall for this!

I don't know if that's really cool or a stupid gimmick ....a bit of both I guess.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013 edited
    I think it's awesome. Especially considering the humble beginnings of the piano guys.

Here's the video

And here's some footage of a bunch of people carrying a concert grand piano up onto the wall.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2013 edited
    christopher wrote

And here's some footage of a bunch of people carrying a concert grand piano up onto the wall.

Meh! check these two guys out.

christopher wrote

I think it's awesome. Especially considering the humble beginnings of the piano guys.

Here's the video

That's very nice, I like it. But, what is that piano theme played most prominently at the 3.15 mark?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2014
    He's back with Rio 2

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/02/26 … m-details/
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. That'll be a nice appetizer to the main course of HtTYD 2. lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    For how to train your dragon 2, i expect similar fun and awesomeness as the first score smile
  3. HELL YEAH!!! punk punk

By the way, I made another Sporcle quiz...can you name all the movies JP has scored?
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Demetris wrote
    For how to train your dragon 2, i expect similar fun and awesomeness as the first score smile

I hope the How To Train Your Dragon 2 score is Powell's version of The Empire Strikes Back.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014 edited
    RIO2 score preview
    http://filmmusicreporter.com/2014/03/20 … m-preview/
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2014
    At last, he returns!
    •  
      CommentAuthorArtworks
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014
    Empire interviewed John Powell about his previous scores, and also Rio 2 and How To Train Your Dragon 2:
    http://www.empireonline.com/features/john-powell-career/p1
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I love that commend at the end of The Bourne Supremacy segment. So even composers think the same as us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Very interesting, I like both his and the interview's direct style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A sad day for film music.
    http://variety.com/2014/music/features/ … 201161517/

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not really. I'm very excited to hear what Powell can do for the concert hall. That is his background, after all -- before he was 'dragged' into FACE/OFF.

Go Powell!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    A sad day for film music, a happy day for music in general. It's actually a very nice surprise, Powell is the last person I'd peg as a concert composer. Fantastic news!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'm not quite sure how to feel. That sucks, but I'm glad he's doing something. As long as we get to hear it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    Thor wrote
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Not really. I'm very excited to hear what Powell can do for the concert hall. That is his background, after all -- before he was 'dragged' into FACE/OFF.

Go Powell!

rolleyes

I said a sad day for FILM MUSIC! Christ! crazy

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2014 edited
    You're so cute when you're dramatic, Erik! wink

Ultimately, film music will benefit because he comes back fresh and inspired.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2014
    Steven wrote
    A sad day for film music, a happy day for music in general. It's actually a very nice surprise, Powell is the last person I'd peg as a concert composer. Fantastic news!

Indeed! Let's hear some real music. Leave the cartoons to keyboard players.
  4. Anthony wrote
    As long as we get to hear it.

Please please please please please please please please please!!! lick lick
  5. Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Sad yes, considering I thought he took a sabbatical year last year sad

Sad yes, considering we lose (like Don Davis earlier) another strong symphonic composer that brought something innovating to the screen.

Sad yes, considering this means that composers like Henry Jackman will be filling the vacant places instead.

Good news for Powell though, considering it's clear he couldn't push himself anymore for the movies he was working on.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    Dude, Jackman is just as talented as Powell, the only difference is he is willing to deliver the kind of wallpaper scores that Powell is tired of writing. The suite pieces from Puss In Boots, Monsters Vs Aliens and Whinnie the Pooh are as stupendous as anything Powell has ever written. IMO of course.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Dude, Jackman is just as talented as Powell

If that's really true, why do I feel at times like I'm in a 'Powell mood' but never a 'Jackman mood'?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    Scribe wrote
    Dude, Jackman is just as talented as Powell,

Yikes. I couldn't disagree more.