• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016
    That's awful. sad
  1. I'm not quite into Powell's music as much as everyone here, so I visit this topic very rarely but I'm sad that when I do visit it's to read such news. sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016
    I can't read it. How did she die?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  2. it's awful news indeed, so young and so sudden.
    If I understand it from the article, it might have happened all of a sudden sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I think she might have been ill for a while, which is probably why Powell has repeatedly said he wants to spend more time with his family. But what kind of illness, I do not know.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm very saddened to hear about it, truly feel for him and his family and his close friends.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016 edited
    Today From John's Facebook:

If you were wondering why I wasn't at the premiere in London on Sunday, I'm afraid it was because my wife, Melinda, who I've loved since the moment I saw her at a gig in the Bull and Gate, London on January 16th 1987, was dying in Los Angeles as I sat beside her.

A few hours after the last notes of the music faded on the South Bank, so did she.

For the 29 years, 6 weeks and one day she was mine, she kept me honest.... she never was very impressed with anything I wrote or won, but she was willing to put up with me trying.

Laughed at my jokes when they amused her, let me make up total rubbish to try to trick her into believing stuff... that can really piss some people off... not Melinda..... and she was my muse.

Everything I wrote before I met Melinda was probably just a foreshadowing... my heart hoping to meet someone like her. Everything since is bursting with her; her eyes, her hair, her body, her soul.... By osmosis, I couldn't help but be a better composer if I were near her.

And thus I stayed close, so we could complete our journey together.

Melinda Lerner 1959-2016
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  3. sad
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016
    Terrible terrible news. So painful. It's heartbreaking enough to read so I cannot possibly imagine what this feels like for him.
  4. My review of JASON BOURNE, for anyone who's interested:

https://moviemusicuk.us/2016/08/02/jaso … d-buckley/

Jon
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016 edited
    Powell was still working on Jason Bourne when Melinda died, which probably explains why David Buckley was brought in to be a co-composer to take some of the strain away, and is also perhaps why – entirely understandably –it doesn’t seem as though Powell’s heart was completely in it.

Nail + Head = Hit

The death of a soul mate truly puts your life into perspective, a good insightful and I suspect accurate summing up there Jon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016 edited
    Right on. Nobody is to blame in this situation. Who cares if the score is below average. Powell was the only guy who could ever have made this music truly great anyway (like he did with the other films) but, fuck it, the circumstances... Horrible.
  5. As a Powell fan of over a decade I am encouraged to see he is still seeming engaged with his craft on Facebook, posting pictures from scoring sessions, discussing trivia with fans and even posting exclusive clips of unreleased scores. His dog seems to be providing him comfort smile I can only hope he will come back as good or better than ever! I think Pan and HTTYD 2 show he still has "it"...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016
    Sad aspect but indeed might have a lot of truth in it. The whole thing sounds disconnected.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  6. He's baaaaaaaack!!!

fireworks applause fireworks

I was so afraid that his low out put of the past few years combined with...what happened this spring...would lead to him semi-retiring from film scoring, Bourne 5 being an exception purely due to a past obligation...but apparently not! smile
  7. Edmund will light a candle in the nearest chapel. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  8. For a second I thought this was his requiem finally getting released. Alas. slant

I pretty much already knew this one would be his, but still good to hear it confirmed; hopefully we'll get something like Knight and Day's "Bull Run" cue expanded to an entire score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    He's baaaaaaaack!!!

I was so afraid that his low out put of the past few years combined with...what happened this spring...would lead to him semi-retiring from film scoring, Bourne 5 being an exception purely due to a past obligation...but apparently not! smile

I don't really share your enthusiasm, I'm afraid. I was hoping that BOURNE 5 would trigger more live action films from Powell. I'm getting rather tired of his animated scores. But it's his call -- if he wants to do that for the rest of his life, that's his choice. But for all the good animation scores he comes up with now and then, I really prefer him in live action mode, and hope he returns more regularly in the future.
    I am extremely serious.
  9. I agree, but for now I'm just going to be glad he's not retiring. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2016
    Oh, on that we agree.
    I am extremely serious.
  10. I'd take a thousand more How to Train Your Dragon scores (hell, a thousand more Rio scores) rather than hear Powell be so uninspired and/or barely present as he was in Jason Bourne this year. slant
  11. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd take a thousand more How to Train Your Dragon scores (hell, a thousand more Rio scores) rather than hear Powell be so uninspired and/or barely present as he was in Jason Bourne this year. slant

True...and then there's Pan which was very nearly the best of both worlds (though both the film and the score veered heavily into animated territory due to and as a result of all the CG...what a bizarre experiment. I went into the film utterly determined to like it despite the reviews, because I love the director's previous work, unlike most people I adore CG when done with any kind of competence even at the expensive of "sets" and "props". and how could such an incredible score be for film footage with no merit? And yet...I don't think I ever got halfway through the damned thing. I would still like to finish it but I still can't figure out what anyone was thinking to give this thing so much money. Scenes like Hook's initial entrance at the pinnacle with the singing...how could that not have been ridiculous even at the most basic level of scripting and screenplay??

But fear not, I don't think we'll ever hear Powell that unpresent again so long as he is composing...that score was just a perfect correpondence of "this is the worst month of my life" and "I didn't really want to be working on this damn series again anyway".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    Thor wrote
    Morgan Joylighter wrote
    He's baaaaaaaack!!!

I don't really share your enthusiasm, I'm afraid. I was hoping that BOURNE 5 would trigger more live action films from Powell. I'm getting rather tired of his animated scores. But it's his call -- if he wants to do that for the rest of his life, that's his choice. But for all the good animation scores he comes up with now and then, I really prefer him in live action mode, and hope he returns more regularly in the future.

On autopilot.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016
    I didn't mean that I wanted Powell to score more BOURNE films, necessarily (I agree that the last one felt rather uninspired), nor do I think that's a benchmark -- but rather more live action in general. My favourite Powell scores are still live action stuff. Enough with the kiddie stuff already!
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Demetris wrote
    On autopilot.

You would be too if your wife just died. And other than Jason Bourne, he isn't.
  13. Some of his last few animated scores have been well below average...Ice Age 4, Rio 2, etc...but How to Train Your Dragon 2 is not all that long ago and that one was knocked out of the park.
  14. Well, I'd call those scores "average" rather than "below average" - unless you mean below Powell's (unusually high) average, in which case I'd agree. They're still decent scores though, and if that's autopilot, it's something that a lot of composers couldn't touch on their best days (in terms of the complexity of the writing and creativity).
  15. I meant Powell's average wink
    Ice Age 4 for example was a big letdown compared to Ice Age 2 and 3 which are some of the most joyful animation scores I've ever heard.
  16. Yeah, I agree that one feels a bit off. At the same time it's still bursting with color and creativity...just the underlying construct isn't as coherent as it should have been.