• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2016
    I'm impressed you guys have seen all the ICE AGE movies. I think I've seen maybe one (the first).
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Er...this is a film music message board...why would you assume we have actually seen anything? wink
  2. Okay, so Powell released a new piece to mark 10,000 followers on Facebook, which he promised to do back in November...and it's...a bit weird!

It's kind of like the last track of Gigli expanded into a piece the size of a symphonic movement. It also kind of reminded me of some of the songs from the Happy Feet movies. In other words, gospel voices everywhere.

I honestly don't know what to make of it. It has some of the most complex and mature harmonic writing I've ever heard from Powell (along the lines of the few bits of his Requiem I've allowed myself to hear). It's very Vaughan Williams-esque, actually! But at the same time it's not nearly so accessible or likeable or infectious as his music usually is. The first 11 minutes or so are pretty meandering, actually. Once the percussion kicks in I like it a lot more, but it's still pretty diffuse. And to be frank, I find the gospel more distracting than anything else.

Is this the Powell of the future? It's certainly interesting, and impressively mature writing...but I don't know if I like it. It lacks the joie de vivre that is the one quality I adore above all else in his music. I know this is morbid and sensationalist and speculative, but I can't help but wonder whether his wife's death earlier this year somehow has..."muted" that quality. Or made him less inclined to write in such a happy way.

Still, it's worth checking out. Certainly something very different from him.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017
    Definitely worth checking out. I quite liked it and yes, Vaughan Williams has been channelled big time, particularly his 3rd Symphony.

0/10 for originality.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. 0/10? I doubt RVW's 3rd had a gospel choir in? wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017
    Gospel choir in orchestral works is not new.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  4. Holy crap if that isn't a thing.

And to Edmund...I feel quite a large dose of happiness mixed in with this. It can't be all me. I don't think his wife's death has robbed him of all joy. I mean, he has three dogs now. Clearly helping him recover while also carrying a bit of his wife's presence with them (in a symbolic not a creepy paranormal way of course). If one is following him on Facebook regularly I don't think I've ever seen a composer dig into his back catalog as...joyfully as Powell has been doing the past few months. He is enjoying his own musical history more than most composers I've ever seen who DIDN'T go through a major tragedy less than one year ago. In short, I can see where you're coming from but he doesn't feel muted to me at all. Perhaps otherly focused. Reinventing himself again. Which is totally predictable and commendable given that a year or two ago all anyone could talk about was how he had lost his inspiration by writing things like Continental Drift and Rio 2. Which was of course all nonsense even then, since he was also doing stuff like The Lorax, HTTYD 2 and Pan.

But I mean this march at 11:30 onwards. How is that not classic Powell joy??? wink biggrin punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2017
    Did you read the comments on Soundcloud?
    ipitifuryd3 at 0:23:
    Hello John Powell I currently working with a music agency that would usually get local to small-time artists like your self, thousands of plays from actual people. We are trying to help more local based artists get the recognition they deserve. This is where my part comes in, I was on your page not too long ago and came across your work, thought it was impressive and definitely see potential. The agency will get this done for 250, although I will help by getting this down to 10. Ifyou're interested, here's the code: musicten and you are good to go adremusviral.club

biggrin
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Does he have a patreon account? If we donate enough, maybe he could finally hire some real musicians to record his music!
  5. I saw bits of Face Off these days and thought the score was rather nice. I since read some comments to the contrary. Is anyone here famliar with the album? Any opinions?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. I like Face/Off quite a bit, especially the quieter emotional sections (the track "Ready for the Big Ride, Bubba" at the end of the movie is actually one of Powell's best). The action music is about 90% classic Media Ventures to 10% actual Powell, but it's a lot of fun regardless. No masterpiece, obviously, but among the better late-90s MV scores, and really the only one of that type Powell ever wrote, so it's interesting from a historical perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    I saw bits of Face Off these days and thought the score was rather nice. I since read some comments to the contrary. Is anyone here famliar with the album? Any opinions?

smile Volker

Of course. It's a classic! I've had it ever since it came out.

As Edmund says, it's Powell doing a riff on the Zimmer/MV sound at the time, but in a cool way. A bit too whimsical at times, action-wise, but I've always liked it. Film too.
    I am extremely serious.
  7. Yeah, the action is a bit chaotic drum-wise and the action theme is essentially a Broken Arrow rip-off, but great theme and a decent old-school MV score.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  8. Thanks guys, I'll check it out then. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Yeah, that was one of my first Powell scores. It was a good bridge between the old-school simplistic power anthem stuff with which I started off my film music fandom, and the more refined symphonic mastery with which the name John Powell soon became synonymous cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2017
  10. Me too love
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017
    For those who love John Powell, he is giving a concert in June 2018 (yes 2018) in Hamburg Germany. Tickets are going FAST.
    http://www.moviesinconcert.nl/index.php … p;id=19251
  11. Holy shit! Only 61 tickets left in a venue that seats over 2,000. When was this announced?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    Two days ago :-)
  12. I didn't think there would be this sort of rush for an event that isn't happening for over a year. Looks like I might have to sit this one out. Fuck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    It is also the venue that is popular. (Almost?) all the concerts in that hall sell out. But it is a nice signal to Powell, to maybe do this more often :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Caliburn wrote
    It is also the venue that is popular. (Almost?) all the concerts in that hall sell out. But it is a nice signal to Powell, to maybe do this more often :P

Yes, and compete with the million other film composers who are now touring with their own shows. smile

In all seriousness, I'd love to see Powell in concert.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. I saw him briefly back in 2010 at the Concert for Care, but that was with a whole ton of other composers. He did do a fantastic suite from How to Train Your Dragon, but I'd love to hear some of his less known stuff in concert. I'd imagine that for some of it, the sounds would be quite hard to replicate in a concert setting (Bourne?) so I'd be curious to see how they do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    I'd imagine that for some of it, the sounds would be quite hard to replicate in a concert setting (Bourne?) so I'd be curious to see how they do it.

This is why I'd be really interested in how a Thomas Newman concert would work. Would still love to hear some of his work live.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2017
    If Newman would ever perform somewhere in Europe let me know. I know a girl who would sell her soul to see him live ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017
    Thinking about going... (don't trust Viagogo: apparently there are quite a few seats left).
    http://www.eventim.de/john-powell-ice-a … 78$9646137
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2017
    Our group has quite some "maybes". If we have some tickets left, I will of course check with this forum.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2017
    Apparently there is now also an afternoon concert!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017