• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008
    Southall wrote
    A bit of a strange move by Powell if he's reducing himself to that.

Or they are gonna make a Media Ventures party again...aahh, Good ´Ol Times cool
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Powell only became good when he left and branched out on his own. If he collaborates with Zimmer then it would seem likely that he will have to revert back to pretending to sound like Zimmer. Surely one of the RC underlings would be a more appropriate choice to do that?

(I mean, come on... Kung Fu Panda!?)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    They never giv'em to me biggrin

Beg for the kids parents to take you with them? cheesy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Marselus wrote
    Southall wrote

Powell only became good when he left and branched out on his own. If he collaborates with Zimmer then it would seem likely that he will have to revert back to pretending to sound like Zimmer. Surely one of the RC underlings would be a more appropriate choice to do that?

(I mean, come on... Kung Fu Panda!?)

I was joking of course; not very interested in Powell going back to 10 years ago.
    Now that I think about it, I couldn´t care less about a film called Kung Fu Panda. In fact, I can´t understand why Zimmer is still taking this kinda projects. Unbeliabable.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Southall wrote

I'm more concerned with the storyline of Bolt.

''Bolt, a German Shepherd, has lived his whole life on the set of his action TV show, where he believes he has superpowers. When separated from the studio by accident, he meets Mr. Mittens (actually a female cat) and a hamster named Rhino. Along the way, he learns that he doesn't have superpowers and that the show is not realistic.''

No shit. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

''Bolt, a German Shepherd, has lived his whole life on the set of his action TV show, where he believes he has superpowers. When separated from the studio by accident, he meets Mr. Mittens (actually a female cat) and a hamster named Rhino. Along the way, he learns that he doesn't have superpowers and that the show is not realistic.''

No shit. rolleyes

Powell is gonna score this? confused
    But if you think about it, the plot of "Pluto Nash" was as ridiculous as this one and the score was pretty good, not among his best, but pretty listenable and enjoyable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

No shit. rolleyes

Hmm... with that, Jumper and something called Kung Fu Panda, perhaps he really is the next Jerry Goldsmith. wink
    • CommentAuthorMatt C
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008
    Southall wrote
    Surely one of the RC underlings would be a more appropriate choice to do that?

I'm sure they would, but they're probably assisting Zimmer and Howard on TDK and/or HGW on Narnia 2. wink

Hey, now that I've said it, a Batman score by Powell would be AWESOME. cool
    http://unsungfilmscores.blogspot.com/ -- My film/TV/game score review blog
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Matt C wrote
    Southall wrote
    Surely one of the RC underlings would be a more appropriate choice to do that?

I'm sure they would, but they're probably assisting Zimmer and Howard on TDK and/or HGW on Narnia 2. wink

Hey, now that I've said it, a Batman score by Powell would be AWESOME. cool

With no other influence...YEP!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Southall wrote

No shit. rolleyes

Hmm... with that, Jumper and something called Kung Fu Panda, perhaps he really is the next Jerry Goldsmith. wink

Man, you'd have to go some to match JG's integral excellence in scoring crap films with scores they don't deserve!
    • CommentAuthorJuPe
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008 edited
    SOUNDCLIPS FROM HORTON HEARS A WHO!

http://www.musicload.de/album/3240713_2 … /item.html

Sounds really amazing! It's loud, fun and the choral parts sound brilliant. I cannot wait to hear this album in full!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008 edited
    Yay!

Wait a minute...you can buy it right now in MP3 format there can't you? shocked

Great...well most of us certainly can't. If I understand German, "your IP address is not valid. This service is only available in Germany...etc. etc.".

Fools. angry
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008
    For UK residents you can buy it on Play.com here:

http://www.play.com/Music/MP3-Download- … oduct.html
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well I just saw Horton. I really liked the movie. The usual Blue Sky to be honest - it's funny, but there's still room for more comedy.

The score fits nicely into Powell's collection of animations. I withdraw my initial thoughts of it being a "more stylish version of Rat Race" and I'd say it's more of a blend of Ice Age with Robots. The opening titles ("Fall From Tree", "Cave Of Destiny", "Jungle Of Nool" - why 3 parts?!) is epic, and so is "Mountain Chase", "We Are Here", "Symphonophone" and "JoJo Saves The Day". The end credits (Horton Suite) is probably going to be the best listening experience for most people as it's something nice and solid (7 minutes), and it sums up all the main themes (only two or three though) rather nicely.

Probably my favourite since Mr. & Mrs. Smith. smile
  1. Anthony wrote
    Well I just saw Horton. I really liked the movie. The usual Blue Sky to be honest - it's funny, but there's still room for more comedy.

The score fits nicely into Powell's collection of animations. I withdraw my initial thoughts of it being a "more stylish version of Rat Race" and I'd say it's more of a blend of Ice Age with Robots. The opening titles ("Fall From Tree", "Cave Of Destiny", "Jungle Of Nool" - why 3 parts?!) is epic, and so is "Mountain Chase", "We Are Here", "Symphonophone" and "JoJo Saves The Day". The end credits (Horton Suite) is probably going to be the best listening experience for most people as it's something nice and solid (7 minutes), and it sums up all the main themes (only two or three though) rather nicely.

Well well sounds nice! Looking forward to it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Anthony wrote

Good summary Anthony, now I want. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Some more facts about the score:

- It's got 10+ orchestrators.

- "Horton Suite" will be this years "End Creditouilles".

- If you remmeber way back in 2006 when Powell was doing some pre-scoring stuff for this (recording cactai and other weird instruments), their showcase is in "Into Whoville/Breakfast With The Mayor" and "Horton Suite".

- People who like the "aliens" theme from Happy Feet will be happy. I'll let you hear why. smile

- I've only just realised that one of my favourite score pieces didn't make it onto the soundtrack. Vlad (the bad Vlad - if you've seen the movie you'll know what I'm on about wink ) has his own theme. It briefly appears once in "Power Grab" on the soundtrack, but it's played in full in an unreleased cue. It's all "March Of Farquaad" like towards the end with a church organ and everything. Again, shame it didn't get released.

- For those of you who aren't able to get a copy at the moment, rest assured I will post up clips tomorrow (a good 15 minutes plus).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008
    Just thought is better to talk abouy Horton here, rather than in the NP thread smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008 edited
    Probably, heh.

So..... rolleyes

....I listened to ''The Bridge Work'' at lunchtime again....

lick

How's your day been? Done any private detecting?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Fortunately "Jumper" has been an accident in Powell´s career. Horton is probably one of his best achievements.
    "Banana Wars" is a track only Powell can compose. Listening Powell´s scores like this one I laugh on present day film music criticism. To hell with the criticism!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    How's your day been? Done any private detecting?

biggrin
    Not today. Today I´ve been gathering data to do some private detecting tomorrow. The more info you have about a person the better.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Marselus wrote
    "Banana Wars" is a track only Powell can compose.

The same goes for ''Dr. Larue'' and ''The Bridge Work''. They both SCREAM Powell. Some of this score could easily be mistaken for Elfman though. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

The same goes for ''Dr. Larue'' and ''The Bridge Work''. They both SCREAM Powell. Some of this score could easily be mistaken for Elfman though. smile

No, No.... Elfman sound can be heard very much...but the tunes, the rytmhs and the soul can only be from powell.

Banana Wars and for extension Horton Suite can make your day happy!

"We are here" reprise it's fu_king epic!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Nautilus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Marselus wrote

No, No.... Elfman sound can be heard very much...but the tunes, the rytmhs and the soul can only be from powell.

Agree. Elfman couldn´t do a score like Horton in his entire life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Wow! I´ve just listened the "Paycheck" string reference at the beginning of the Horton Suite (0:45 - 1:10).
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Will take a listen later...

Horton really is a ''happy'' score. Like Robots thought I think it gets a bit lost in the middle (from Horton Dance to Mountain Chase). After that it picks up again though. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Anthony wrote
    Will take a listen later...

Horton really is a ''happy'' score. Like Robots thought I think it gets a bit lost in the middle (from Horton Dance to Mountain Chase). After that it picks up again though. smile

Well...Horton Keeps the interest all the way, In my case. I think Horton Keeps better the interestest in the middle, more than Happy feet, Ice age 2 or Robots (wich is a little bit repetitive). But in the other side, it doesn't have his good themes.

I think Horton is my favourite Powell animated score, being Happy feet my favourite one (for his tunes and for persona reasons)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I think my list of animations would go:

1. Chicken Run
    2. Horton
    3. Ice Age
    4. Robots
    5. Antz
    6. Shrek
    7. Happy Feet (sorry, but I really am not a fan!)
    • CommentAuthormsia2k75
    Anthony wrote
    I think my list of animations would go:

1. Chicken Run
    2. Horton
    3. Ice Age
    4. Robots
    5. Antz
    6. Shrek
    7. Happy Feet (sorry, but I really am not a fan!)

1. Happy Feet
    2. Chicken Run
    3. Robots
    4. Antz
    5. Ice Age 2
    6. Shrek

For me, but it looks like Horton is a good effort, so let's see.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    1. Horton Hears a Who
    2. Happy Feet
    3. Chicken Run
    4. Robots
    5. Ice Age 2
    6. Shrek
    7. Antz
    8. Road to El Dorado