• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    Southall wrote
    Scribe wrote
    Dude, Jackman is just as talented as Powell,

Yikes. I couldn't disagree more.

Unless proven otherwise in the future I agree!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014
    If true then he's certainly done a good job of concealing it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2014 edited
    Scribe wrote
    Dude, Jackman is just as talented as Powell, the only difference is he is willing to deliver the kind of wallpaper scores that Powell is tired of writing. The suite pieces from Puss In Boots, Monsters Vs Aliens and Whinnie the Pooh are as stupendous as anything Powell has ever written. IMO of course.

I agree. Especially with what I know of Jackman's versatile background. It hasn't yet been properly brought into fruition, though (with a few exceptions) -- unlike Powell, who has proven himself on the top shelf time and again.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Scribe wrote
    Dude, Jackman is just as talented as Powell, the only difference is he is willing to deliver the kind of wallpaper scores that Powell is tired of writing. The suite pieces from Puss In Boots, Monsters Vs Aliens and Whinnie the Pooh are as stupendous as anything Powell has ever written. IMO of course.

I was simply referring to the musical style. Powell has a distinct style, you could hear it from a mile away and he was hired for that style, or was simply strong enough to force his style to the music. I regret now that composers like Jackman (who is definitely capable of writing good music) are now getting the assignments without making any personal impression whatsoever from time to time. If he can deliver his personal voice and stick with it (as much as possible) during the upcoming years, I will be extremely glad.

But if you haven't delivered your voice yet after say 5 years, something tells me he'll never will.
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2014
    Erik Woods wrote
    A sad day for film music.
    http://variety.com/2014/music/features/ … 201161517/

-Erik-

Well, at least it doesn’t say he is taking a “permanent break” from scoring. What is it with these Media Ventures graduates and their departure from the mainstream all of a sudden though?

On the bright side, this may have opened up new venues for other veterans of the genre, like Joel McNeely, who incidentally has been making some moves lately. Apparently he is attached to a DreamWorks animated feature later this year as well as a Pixar film and some action fantasy flick in 2015. This could turn out to be a refreshing change and long overdue for this man too. (Provided that it all happens at the end, of course)

Thomas Glorieux wrote
    I regret now that composers like Jackman (who is definitely capable of writing good music) are now getting the assignments without making any personal impression whatsoever from time to time. If he can deliver his personal voice and stick with it (as much as possible) during the upcoming years, I will be extremely glad.
    But if you haven't delivered your voice yet after say 5 years, something tells me he'll never will.

The way I see it, so long as scoring films is about spending everyday conforming ideas to constantly changing pictures only to have them thrown out last minute by a bunch of opinionated filmmakers and executives who feel concerned that the new tunes are not in line with the Dark Knight / Bourne / Inception stuff from the temps, it’d be near impossible for any new blood to find or maintain a unique musical voice in the business. Maybe that’s one of the reasons JP is so fed up with the system too.
  2. Blu wrote
    Maybe that’s one of the reasons JP is so fed up with the system too.

The fact he took a year off to regenerate himself, and almost immediately says he'll take a sabbatical again once he's back, I guess you're right about that Blue
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. Blu wrote
    Apparently [Joel McNeely] is attached to a DreamWorks animated feature later this year as well as a Pixar film and some action fantasy flick in 2015.

shocked shocked Holy fuck!!! shocked shocked

Where did you get this?? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

FWIW, I can discern Jackman's voice from a Djawadi voice or a Powell voice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Blu wrote
    Apparently [Joel McNeely] is attached to a DreamWorks animated feature later this year as well as a Pixar film and some action fantasy flick in 2015.

Indeed!! smile
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  4. lp wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

FWIW, I can discern Jackman's voice from a Djawadi voice or a Powell voice.

Me too, but I suspect that might be because we spend more time listening to these gentlemen than do many film score fans. Certainly I don't think Jackman is anywhere near as distinct as Powell, and he's got a disturbing tendency towards unpleasant droning tunelessness in his modern action scores that I doubt Powell would ever stoop to. But despite their similarities in style and approach, I could easily differentiate between a Powell and a Jackman animated score. And Jackman's one of the few "ghostwriters" where I can pretty easily tell if he's had a hand in any given cue. Take "Up is Down"...or "Dragon Warrior is Among Us" from the first Kung Fu Panda score. I'm convinced the part from 0:42 to 1:13 of the latter is is Jackman - those snare drums! If Powell really isn't coming back for Kung Fu Panda 3, I'd be happy if Jackman took over. Or Dominic Lewis.

Sorry, that got a bit rambly and non-sequiturish. shame
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2014 edited
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    The fact he took a year off to regenerate himself, and almost immediately says he'll take a sabbatical again once he's back, I guess you're right about that Blue

Those two animated films he scored this year might have been parts of past obligations - stuff he had signed up for before he'd made the decision to hit the road - and not necessarily a sign that he's back in business.

Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Blu wrote

Attached. Not confirmed. Calm down! biggrin

Edmund Meinerts wrote

Our good old trusty databases, wikipedia and imdb. punk
  5. Blu wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

Those two animated films he scored this year might have been parts of past obligations - stuff he had signed up for before he'd made the decision to hit the road - and not necessarily a sign that he's back in business.

With How to Train Your Dragon 2 I'd like to think it's at least partially because Powell is genuinely invested in that franchise and its musical opportunities. It certainly seemed like it with the first score, but if he's doing the second one just because he has to, well...But I don't want to make assumptions. I'm just trying really hard not to hype myself up for this one too much (too late!) because I'm probably just setting myself up for a letdown.

Blu wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Our good old trusty databases, wikipedia and imdb. punk

...oh. Hm. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    This past December, Oscar-nominated composer John Powell returned to the Newman Scoring Stage at 20th Century Fox to record his score for Rio 2, the sequel to the hit 2011 Blue Sky/Fox animated feature. Directed by Carlos Saldanha, with whom Powell worked on the first Rio as well as two Ice Age movies, the film opened on April 11, 2014, and has already grossed over $300 million worldwide. ScoringSessions.com is thrilled to bring our readers the exclusive photos from the orchestral sessions!

http://www.scoringsessions.com/

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014
    Review of How to Train Your Dragon (yes, the first one):

http://www.movie-wave.net/how-to-train-your-dragon/

I shall pretend my previous review never happened.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    Review of How to Train Your Dragon (yes, the first one):

http://www.movie-wave.net/how-to-train-your-dragon/

I shall pretend my previous review never happened.

Zimmer fans are salivating in anticipation of your reviewed MAN OF STEEL in 2018 wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. punk punk punk punk punk

Finally, the man sees reason.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    James, I'm curious, what did you think of it initially?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I liked it but didn't love it. I wrote it when I was at one of my lowest ebbs, not long after discovering my mother had an inoperable brain tumour, and suspect that prevented me from enjoying much of anything at the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    The review is still wrong. 4 1/2 stars? The right answer is 5 stars. Silly James.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  7. Yes, but it's a significant step in the right direction. We'll take what we can get, Erik. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    The New Age pop-inspired “Forbidden Friendship” is curiously beautiful, the sort of music that might inspire you to stick a flower in your hair and dance naked around a meadow.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014
    And now, four years after reviewing the first one, I've reviewed the second one:

HTTYD2: http://www.movie-wave.net/how-to-train-your-dragon2/
  8. You seem to be having quite the turnaround on Powell lately. Good to see. smile
  9. On a bit of a dragon theme, David Buckley has made available for free (for a limited time) his 15-minute score for the How To Train Your Dragon-linked short, Book of Dragons:

http://davidbuckleymusic.net/
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    You seem to be having quite the turnaround on Powell lately. Good to see. smile

I've always liked him, haven't I?
  10. Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Yes, I didn't mean turnaround so much as an increase in appreciation. Very positive reviews for his two scores this year, plus an overdue but still very welcome reappraisal of the first How to Train Your Dragon. In fact, I think you might actually like Rio 2 more than I do! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Southall wrote
    Edmund Meinerts wrote

Definitely. I remember that forever ago I was shocked by your praise of Mr. & Mrs. Smith, a score even I with all my Remote-Control-obsession didn't particularly enjoy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2014 edited
    Southall wrote
    And now, four years after reviewing the first one, I've reviewed the second one:

HTTYD2: http://www.movie-wave.net/how-to-train-your-dragon2/

Dat opening paragraph!!!
    *bows at your feet* biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    On a bit of a dragon theme, David Buckley has made available for free (for a limited time) his 15-minute score for the How To Train Your Dragon-linked short, Book of Dragons:

http://davidbuckleymusic.net/

Speaking of David Buckley. I really enjoy the music he's creating on The Good Wife. The quasi-classical approach is completely refreshing. I'm very excited that CBS will be releasing an album from the show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2014