• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I'm also pleased that music is going to be released from The Good Wife.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. John Powell not to return for How to Train Your Dragon 3?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind … n-2-710238

"[Director] DeBlois added that he’s currently working on the storyline for the third installment of the franchise. Composer John Powell will not, however, join for the third-act since he will be taking a sabbatical to relax and spend more time with his teenager."

Please say it isn't so. cry
    • CommentAuthorBlu
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    John Powell not to return for How to Train Your Dragon 3?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/behind … n-2-710238

"[Director] DeBlois added that he’s currently working on the storyline for the third installment of the franchise. Composer John Powell will not, however, join for the third-act since he will be taking a sabbatical to relax and spend more time with his teenager."

Please say it isn't so. cry

Oh come now. The third film is about two years away from now and a lot can happen between now and then. But this new trend of "spending time with son" doesn't feel right. I hope Powell Jr. is doing fine.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2014
    Bring in Henry Jackman...
  3. Anthony wrote
    Bring in Henry Jackman...

...so he can be shown precisely where the door out is.

I want to hear soembody outside of the Zimmer Clone Wars Factory score this.

And maybe, jsut maybe, Powell is more family oriented and likes to spend tiem with them. An old concept, I know.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. Justin... Jackman ghostwrote on the first score at least, he knows the sound very well. Before starting his own career, Jackman did more work for Powell than for Zimmer himself, as far as I know.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  5. PawelStroinski wrote
    Justin... Jackman ghostwrote on the first score at least, he knows the sound very well. Before starting his own career, Jackman did more work for Powell than for Zimmer himself, as far as I know.

No he didn't. James McKee Smith, Paul Mounsey, Dominic Lewis and I think Michael John Mollo all did (they didn't contribute to more than one or two cues each though), but Jackman has only ever ghostwritten on a couple of Powell scores back in 2008 - the first Kung Fu Panda and Hancock.
  6. Dominic Lewis then.
  7. And Dom Lewis (rather than Henry Jackman) would I think be a good choice if Powell himself isn't returning. Maybe we can even convince Powell to write a couple of cues and have a Superman IV style, "Themes by John Powell/Music by Dominic Lewis" situation.
  8. I think that's possible. I have a very strong feeling that Powell will be "involved" in the project in the way of giving someone a hearty recommendation who should score it if not him. While I can't confirm it anywhere I wouldn't be shocked if Jackman wasn't recommended for Captain Phillips that way.

Though then again, Hans told Hybrid that he did ask Powell for recommendations what to do and Powell said "Don't do it".
  9. PawelStroinski wrote
    Though then again, Hans told Hybrid that he did ask Powell for recommendations what to do and Powell said "Don't do it".

Given the absolute mess that the Captain Phillips score ended up being (largely thanks to an extremely uncooperative and difficult to work with Paul Greengrass), that would have been sage advice. Powell had similar troubles on Green Zone, I think. Now it sounds like nobody from RCP will want to work with Greengrass ever again...I wonder who he'll turn to from now on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014
    An interview with John Powell about HTTYD2. Informative and enlightening.

http://collider.com/how-to-train-your-d … interview/
    •  
      CommentAuthordgoldwas
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2014
    This past April, Oscar-nominated composer John Powell was in London recording his score to the highly anticipated sequel, How to Train Your Dragon 2. Recording took place at Abbey Road Studios, and ScoringSessions.com is thrilled to share a selection of photos provided to us by Dreamworks/Fox Publicity!

http://www.scoringsessions.com

Enjoy!
    I consider a project a success when Thor says he won't buy it
    •  
      CommentAuthorJim Ware
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
    Things are looking a bit cramped in studio 1 - big orchestra!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2014
    Big score!
  10. It's gonna get a big rating...
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  11. My two cents and a handful of stars on HTTYD2
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
  12. My review of HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON 2, for anyone who's interested:

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/06/30/how-t … hn-powell/

Jon
  13. And mine, albeit a little late to the game.
  14. Edmund wrote elsewhere
    One thing is for certain: if POWELL maintains the strength of these first two entries for a third and possible fourth sequel, then a day will come when HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON will be mentioned in the same breath as STAR WARS and LORD OF THE RINGS as one of the truly legendary film music franchises.

Cough...yeah, OK, maybe not quite....cough

But I would much welcome Powels return for another go.

wink Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  15. Captain Future wrote
    Edmund wrote elsewhere
    One thing is for certain: if POWELL maintains the strength of these first two entries for a third and possible fourth sequel, then a day will come when HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON will be mentioned in the same breath as STAR WARS and LORD OF THE RINGS as one of the truly legendary film music franchises.

I think it is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014 edited
    Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Edmund wrote elsewhere

I think it is.

...I certainly didn't hear any new themes in the sequel that was anywhere close to the quality of The Imperial March or Han Solo & The Princess or even Yoda's theme. Nor the dozen new themes in The Two Towers. Bit of hyperbole methinks. But they are excellent scores.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
  16. Once again all I can say is, to me they are. Sorry to be obstinate and I realize not everyone is going to agree with me but...there you go. For me it's easily the best (now-) series since Lord of the Rings. And better than the prequels or Hobbit scores.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2014
    Well, I will keep listening to it and hopefully the new themes will grow on me smile
  17. As a matter of fact I like the second DRAGON score even better then the first one and I like them both a lot. But STAR WARS and LOtR for me are on one level with THE SEA HAWK, FOR A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS, NORTH BY NORTHWEST or QUO VADIS. These scores paved the way for many others to follow. They defined the sound of their respective genres. That is a level of ingenuity seldom reached.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  18. A rare new review for me, but one that deserves its place here smile

How to Train your Dragon 2
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  19. Lovely review, Thomas! I agree with every word, although you're missing a few EXCELLENT TRACKs. wink
  20. Okay, seriously? 27 votes and an average of 1.96???? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2015
    It would appear the rating control is being used for purposes other than its intended one.
  21. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Lovely review, Thomas! I agree with every word, although you're missing a few EXCELLENT TRACKs. wink

maybe, but that's something were people are gonna differ from one another the easiest
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh