• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Yes, and I think he also healed the sick and turned water into wine, didn't he?

It's a well-known fact that he did get a Ron Howard gig for someone else.

and for every big assignment since, zimmer is (also, ffs) to be credited in the backstage? wink lel

Well, he DID get Roque Banos In the Heart of the Sea (contractually obliged to hire a Spanish composer, Howard asked Hans for recommendations, probably partly influenced by both Banos and Hans having the same agent). In the case of Han Solo, however, it turns out that Powell was hired BEFORE the directors were fired.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017
    Han and Hans, truly this is Hans Across America!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. It'd be Interstellar all over again.
  3. "Lando, let me in!"
    "I'm sorry Han, I'm afraid I can't do that."
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017
    How to Train Your Dragon was scored for one of the biggest brass sections I've ever seen, no less than 4 trumpets, 6 trombones, 2 tubas, and 12 french horns (!)

I re-recorded all of the horns and trumpets from the "Counter Attack" cue, fun stuff smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BvL56X7-w
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017
    Marc wrote
    How to Train Your Dragon was scored for one of the biggest brass sections I've ever seen, no less than 4 trumpets, 6 trombones, 2 tubas, and 12 french horns (!)

I re-recorded all of the horns and trumpets from the "Counter Attack" cue, fun stuff smile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-BvL56X7-w

excellent performance, Marc! that cue is a doozy!
    Bach's music is heartless and robotic.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2017
    That's awesome.
    • CommentAuthorjb1234
    The only score I can think of with a more insane brass section is Goldenthal's Final Fantasy, with 16 french horns, 8 trombones, 4 trumpets, tuba and cimbasso.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarc
    Thanks guys !

jb1234 wrote
    The only score I can think of with a more insane brass section is Goldenthal's Final Fantasy, with 16 french horns, 8 trombones, 4 trumpets, tuba and cimbasso.

Yeah that one is hard to top ^^
  4. Didn't Poledouris originally had 24 French horns on Anvil of Crom?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017
    Perhaps this was mentioned somewhere else already, but John Powell will be a guest at MOSMA in Malaga next year, for 2 concerts apparently.
    https://www.facebook.com/johnpowellmusi … 5752153384

punk
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017
    Yeah, I was already persuaded to go, even before this announcement :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2017
    And there is a chance that he will be present in Prague as well, a couple of weeks earlier:

https://www.facebook.com/events/515557098800763/

So for me that will be 3 Powell concerts within a month 8)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2017
    I wonder what Powell's score to Solo will sound like.

Didn't he already perfect the Tatooine sound for a few seconds in Ice Age?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I'm looking more forward to the score than the film.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    Anthony wrote
    I wonder what Powell's score to Solo will sound like.

Didn't he already perfect the Tatooine sound for a few seconds in Ice Age?

he already perfected music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2018
  5. I'm listening to Evolution and am recognizing how much John Powell has grown as a composer. Evolution was my first score of his and it was never memorable to me. It's hard to believe the same composer wrote How To Train Your Dragon, the Bourne films and I've really been enjoying his latest Ferdinand.
  6. Evolution may lack the sophistication of Powell's later scores but IMO it has plenty of charms in its own right ("The Fire Truck" and "The Mall Chase" are enduring favorites). In a way I feel like it's the score where he really, fully found his own voice as a composer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2018
    Evolution not memorable!? uhm Evolution is pure fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It’s only a theory. Not a fact.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    If we evolved from monkeys, then why are there still hurpty derp they turk err jeeerbss
  7. Steven wrote
    Evolution not memorable!? uhm Evolution is pure fun!

Yeah, sorry, it's just not one that comes to mind for me for repeat listenings from Powell. It's fun, I just don't enjoy listening to it all that much.
  8. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Evolution may lack the sophistication of Powell's later scores but IMO it has plenty of charms in its own right ("The Fire Truck" and "The Mall Chase" are enduring favorites). In a way I feel like it's the score where he really, fully found his own voice as a composer.

That's very true. It definitely has his signature sound i.e. the sound that I've now come to associate him with. smile
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018
    The first music clip from Solo. Sounds appropriately Star Wars-y and Powell-y at the same time. Can't wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAidabaida
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2018
    Wow, I love it. The Asteroid Field Theme, Chewie's theme, the rousing star wars fanfare, it's exactly what I would want from a John Powell "Solo" score! Can't wait for this one. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2018
    Beautiful. About a million times better than ROGUE ONE, actually using Williams' themes and adhering to his style when there's original stuff. As expected, Powell seems to deliver the goods.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor wrote
    actually using Williams' themes and adhering to his style when there's original stuff.

Giacchino did the EXACT SAME THING!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Exactly my thought!
  9. Thor, in all honesty, but to base such a judgement on a few seconds of music is ridiculous. slant
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.