• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008
    Panthera wrote
    I really hope he and Hans Zimmer team up again if that Kung Fu Panda sequel is made. The first score is one of the better scores of 2008.

"The first score" makes it sound like the second has already been made! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

Not really.. rolleyes dizzy wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Agree. When it comes to POWELL and 2008, one word comes to my mind: mediocrity. It's Powell we are talking about, he's able for SO much more.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Steven wrote

Agree. When it comes to POWELL and 2008, one word comes to my mind: mediocrity. It's Powell we are talking about, he's able for SO much more.

Hang on, what? That makes no sense! Where in mine or Anthony's posts were we talking about the level of quality in Powell's 2008 scores? dizzy spin

I was just saying that the way Panthera worded it sounded like the second score had already been made, that's all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote

Surely you jest! It's true that his score didn't have anything "groundbreaking", but being "prolific" (which is the word that comes to my mind) as he has been, there wasn't anything mediocre about the scores that he had produced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Surely you jest! It's true that his score didn't have anything "groundbreaking", but being "prolific" (which is the word that comes to my mind) as he has been, there wasn't anything mediocre about the scores that he had produced.

Agreed, mostly. Jumper was that way a bit, but I've enjoyed the others, particularly Hancock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Paycheck
    Bourne: Supremacy
    United 93
    I Am Sam
    Happy Feet
    and Chicken Run when it comes to fun animation

Compare and you'll have your answer if i am serious or not.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Paycheck
    United 93
    I Am Sam
    Happy Feet

Yes, but I wouldn't put I Am Sam in that list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed. None of his output this year has done much for me (save for Kung Fu Panda with Zimmer). The last few tracks of Hancock are quite good, but other than that, it's been disappointing.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    David wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

Indeed. None of his output this year has done much for me (save for Kung Fu Panda with Zimmer). The last few tracks of Hancock are quite good, but other than that, it's been disappointing.

I wouldn't say disappointing, but nothing where I've thought "wow!". Horton has been the strongest from him this year, then Panda, Stop Loss, Hancock and Jumper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Horton has its moments like all of his animation work, but it's too all over the place for me to really enjoy it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Seriously, here is my list:

The Bourne Supremacy
    Paycheck
    Chicken Run
    Horton Hears A Who!
    United 93
    Agent Cody Banks
    Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    Happy Feet
    The Italian Job
    Evolution
    X-Men: The Last Stand
    Kung Fu Panda
    P.S., I Love You
    Robots
    Antz
    Ice Age: The Meltdown
    Endurance
    I Am Sam
    Stop Loss
    Hancock
    The Bourne Ultimatum
    The Road To El Dorado
    Drumline
    Shrek
    The Adventures Of Pluto Nash
    The Bourne Identity
    Be Cool
    Two Weeks Notice
    Alfie
    Rat Race
    Face/Off
    Gigli
    Forces Of Nature
    Just Visiting
    Jumper
    D-Tox
    With Friends Like These
    Chill Factor

Not including Stealing Sinatra or Mr. 3000 as I am no way near familiar enough with them!
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008
    Well i dont know i have enjoyed some of his works this year (or parts of them such as Hancock, Kung-Fu Panda, Horton). Not his best but roughly entertaining.

Jumper is quite bad and Stop-Loss isnt very interesting outside of the context of the movie (except for the last track which is stunning). I have yet to hear P.S. I Love You which is technically a 2007 score even though the CD release has been this year.

On a more global view though, i tend to agree that 2008 has been an awful year for movie score so far (i mean, the third mummy score is absolutely shameful rolleyes ), by far the worst of this decade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    msi2 wrote
    Well i dont know i have enjoyed some of his works this year (or parts of them such as Hancock, Kung-Fu Panda, Horton). Not his best but roughly entertaining.

Jumper is quite bad and Stop-Loss isnt very interesting outside of the context of the movie (except for the last track which is stunning). I have yet to hear P.S. I Love You which is technically a 2007 score even though the CD release has been this year.

On a more global view though, i tend to agree that 2008 has been an awful year for movie score so far (i mean, the third mummy score is absolutely shameful rolleyes ), by far the worst of this decade.

Worst year of the decade? Can't agree with that. There have been some stunning scores released this year, just a matter of finding them.

Funny how during the year it tends to be labeled the 'worst', but a few years or even next year down the road, people discover more scores that were released in that year and their minds change. I really don't think it's been that bad. Not a great year, but a good one at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008 edited
    Indeed. To me crap like IRON MAN was a much painful listening experience than Mummy 3. Not even comparable.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This year has been better than last, but I think the disappointments this year have been really big disappointments (Indy 4 etc.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Speaking of myself, I loved the scores of Kung Fu Panda, Narnia: Prince Caspian, Wall-E, Journey To The Center Of The Earth and Forbidden Kingdom, and The Dark Knight, Mummy 3 and Hancock were not bad either. So IMO it's been a pretty good scores year, if not a great one. Let's see what else it has in store, we're only halfway through after all! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDavid
    Steven wrote
    msi2 wrote

Worst year of the decade? Can't agree with that. There have been some stunning scores released this year, just a matter of finding them.

Funny how during the year it tends to be labeled the 'worst', but a few years or even next year down the road, people discover more scores that were released in that year and their minds change. I really don't think it's been that bad. Not a great year, but a good one at least.

Agreed. As opposed to 5 to 10 years ago where you would look to big releases and blockbusters to have great scores, that's no longer the case. Browsing the foreign (non-American) markets, video game scores, television scores, and labels like MovieScore Media will provide you with many excellent releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    Paycheck
    United 93
    I Am Sam
    Happy Feet

Oooh, I'm comparing and my point still stands. His output this year isn't mediocre in term of quality especially given the range of styles they're in. Sure, Hancock and Jumper wasn't great on album, but the score was almost pitch perfect for the films they were produced for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    The scores i mentioned were perfect in all aspects, not just in the movie; by far.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    The scores i mentioned were perfect in all aspects, not just in the movie; by far.

Indeed, especially Paycheck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote

So just because something isn't perfect, they're mediocre? Puhlease! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    lp wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

So just because something isn't perfect, they're mediocre? Puhlease! rolleyes

He's Christian, logic isn't one of his fortés. biggrin

I just know I'm gonna wake up next to a horses head after that remark...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, Hancock is full of boring underscore and saves some good stuff for the end, Kung Fu Panda is constantly shifting unorganized soup of different styles without coherency (see HAPPY FEET or Chicken Run for a violent contrast) and Horton is a mickey-mousing fest. Happy now? It's Powell we are talking about here, not just any other composer; he can do so much more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Violent contrast?? That's, um, an interesting choice of words! shocked
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Hancock is full of boring underscore

It's not underscore...it's just not loud... rolleyes wink
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    Well, I really like the scores to Kung Fu Panda and Horton Hears a Who. I think those were his best for the year, and not mediocre at all. I tend to prefer his music for animated scores, and what do you know, both of those were for animated films.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, Hancock is full of boring underscore and saves some good stuff for the end, Kung Fu Panda is constantly shifting unorganized soup of different styles without coherency (see HAPPY FEET or Chicken Run for a violent contrast) and Horton is a mickey-mousing fest. Happy now? It's Powell we are talking about here, not just any other composer; he can do so much more.

But you're judging based on album listening experience. You're not being consistent at all. Giving me your "perfect" example of on-album and in-movie scores and bashing others based on listening experiences. As scores, they are far from mediocrity, especially Kung Fu Panda and Horton.

We expect great things from Powell, but just because his scores is not perfect, doesn't mean that it's "mediocre".
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They aren't far from that. If they wouldn't be by Powell you wouldn't give a damn about them, so many similar scores are being written everyday by lesser-known composers and nobody cares while suddenly these are being presented as comparable to his best works? Come on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    Christodoulides wrote
    They aren't far from that. If they wouldn't be by Powell you wouldn't give a damn about them, so many similar scores are being written everyday by lesser-known composers and nobody cares while suddenly these are being presented as comparable to his best works? Come on.

But I'm not comparing them to "hist best works". I'm defending them as musical scores that, were more than functional and serviceable (like Hancock) as well as tuneful and still comparable examples of the skills of the composer (Panda & Horton). And the notion that because they don't completely work as pure listening experience, doesn't signify that they are mediocre scores, irregardless of whose name is attached.

So tell me about the similar scores being written everyday by lesser known composers...