• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2008
    Where's that? cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Miya mentioned it above my post.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Ah yes. Your previous post was quite big and since the forum skips to the latest one I didn't even see Miya's!

As much as I'd love an isolated score, I'd love an academy promo even more. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Anthony wrote
    As much as I'd love an isolated score, I'd love an academy promo even more. wink

Absolutely! biggrin lick
  1. Who wouldn't bunny
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    I just want to say how entirely, utterly and scathingly boring United 93 is.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    But the last track is amazing!
    • CommentAuthormsi2
    HeeroJF wrote

No, this is the kind of score you cant dissociate from the images.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008 edited
    Panthera wrote

Actually, as I listened to it again tonight, I find that the last two tracks aren't really that bad.

...but that's two tracks! Over a full-length CD! Totally totally not worth the aggravation. Grossly imbalanced.

msi2 wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

And yet it exists on CD... A mistake?

I'm always such a completist, but still, perhaps it's true: some scores are best left unreleased?
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorPanthera
    HeeroJF wrote
    Panthera wrote

Actually, as I listened to it again tonight, I find that the last two tracks aren't really that bad.

...but that's two tracks! Over a full-length CD! Totally totally not worth the aggravation. Grossly imbalanced.

Actually, the track I was referring to is the 2nd to last, now that I think about it. It really does an amazing job in capturing the emotions for the scene and real life event.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    HeeroJF wrote
    Panthera wrote

msi2 wrote
    HeeroJF wrote

And yet it exists on CD... A mistake?

I'm always such a completist, but still, perhaps it's true: some scores are best left unreleased?

Perhaps it suffers the same fate that some people associate with Tyler scores? They just go on and on?

NO score should go unreleased. Let people like us worry about arrangement and presentation if all CD companies want to do is make money. Have a look in the Desplat thread right now - Largo Winch loses my attention in a couple of places on the CD, but after arranging the hell out of it I have a perfect album.

Even if you're left with only a couple of cues like in this instance, isn't that still better than having no score at all?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    But what would you prefer in that case: micro-scores with 4 tracks on a disc/digital format, or 20 tracks with only 4 proper ones?
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Rian wrote
    But what would you prefer in that case: micro-scores with 4 tracks on a disc/digital format, or 20 tracks with only 4 proper ones?

The latter, easily.

Southall wrote
    Love Bolt! Great little score.

Indeed, but perhaps...too little. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote

Southall wrote
    Love Bolt! Great little score.

Indeed, but perhaps...too little. wink

Well, maybe, but it seems the perfect sort of score for that length of album. Bravo to whoever made that decision.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Never! Horrible album presentation. vomit
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Rian wrote

The former, easily.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I still don't understand why you wouldn't want more, incase you want to listen to it some day. confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Anthony wrote
    I still don't understand why you wouldn't want more, incase you want to listen to it some day. confused

Don't ask! For christ sake, don't ask man!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Anthony wrote
    Perhaps it suffers the same fate that some people associate with Tyler scores? They just go on and on?

NO score should go unreleased. Let people like us worry about arrangement and presentation if all CD companies want to do is make money. Have a look in the Desplat thread right now - Largo Winch loses my attention in a couple of places on the CD, but after arranging the hell out of it I have a perfect album.

Even if you're left with only a couple of cues like in this instance, isn't that still better than having no score at all?

Oh, no. If a score does get released, then I DO want as much of it as possible. For better or for worse. And no, I categorically refuse to edit and arrange and program tracks on a CD. When a CD of droning crap comes out with only a single breathtaking cue (like Tears of the Sun), then I need to know this about the composer: that he failed utterly to write an interesting score throughout its whole length, and yet rocked the world at the end of the film. It's unfair to call yourself a fan of a score if you're doing so by ignoring the crap that comprises 90% of its runtime.

And you know how it is with film music: appreciating most of it can only come through repeated listenings. So how can any of this bad music ever hope to grow on any of us if we constantly just skip over it? That's why I'll always keep giving these droning rhythmic Media Venture works a chance in their entirety, in hopes I'll one day appreciate them to the level of Stallion of the Cimarron.

For the record: I only re-arrange tracks on a single CD: the expanded boot of Starship Troopers, because I feel these tracks are meant to be presented in chronological order as they appear in the film.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote

Because the AMOUNT of music has nothing do with how good or bad an album is.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    An album that lasted a minute would be a pretty bad album if you asked me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    HeeroJF wrote
    For the record: I only re-arrange tracks on a single CD: the expanded boot of Starship Troopers, because I feel these tracks are meant to be presented in chronological order as they appear in the film.

What about all the other score albums with incorrect chronology? What if you had an album with 10 masterful, genius, breathtaking cues with 10 truly awful, dire, almost impossible to listen to cues played one after the other? Would you still listen to the album as it was intended?
  2. Almost like Mancina's Speed biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Steven wrote

Yeah, but that minute might be an excellent listening experience. And if it's a good representation of the entire score in the film, then why not?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote

Agreed, therefore the argument is won. tongue
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

But I thought that's what your argument was. You don't like loads of music because it makes a bad listening experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Yeah, but that minute might be an excellent listening experience. And if it's a good representation of the entire score in the film, then why not?

Anything lasting a minute and considered excellent would have the listener begging for more.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Steven wrote
    Thor wrote
    Steven wrote

Anything lasting a minute and considered excellent would have the listener begging for more.

I've gotta agree with Steven on that. A one minute release would be the dumbest release in the history of releases.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Anthony wrote
    Thor wrote
    Anthony wrote

But I thought that's what your argument was. You don't like loads of music because it makes a bad listening experience.

No, that's a common misconception when people state my views. That I think less is more and more is less. Actually, the amount of music is totally irrelevant. What matters is how it is ARRANGED. It's just that this arrangement process almost always comes with ABBREVIATION as a result (weeding out repetitive material or cues that don't stand alone very well).
    I am extremely serious.