• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Demetris, this thing may be just a first step. Of course it should by no means NOT take over for the real thing. But it can inspire kids to have a decent interest in the real instruments and music. I guess a lot here depends on the parents, doesn't it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008
    Christodoulides wrote
    Still no answer why not learn to play the actual instrument itself.

Why learn to pay the keyboard rather than the piano?
    Why learn to play the piano rather than the harpsichord?

Seriously though the iCarina is just a gadget, D., not a replacement.
    But it's been programmed in such a way that it emulates all aspects of the ocarina, and hence can be used AS an ocarina or to learn to PLAY the ocarina (again: the sound is another discussion).

So yeah, you could play the actual instrument.
    And yeah, when you already HAVE an iPhone and already HAVE this gadget, you can play that.
    Swings and roundabouts.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris, this thing may be just a first step.

Ocarina: 10 euros.
    iPhone: 299 euros.

I'm not sure it's actually a first step, Pawel. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2008 edited
    You're worrying about it too much Demetris, I think. It's an additional gadget, an additional instrument, just for fun. It's not a replacement! Nobody's going to create an iPhone orchestra and hire them to score a movie!? (Well, John Powell might.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    punk I'd buy THAT in a second.
    Now if only we could get someone to program an iKazoo... slant
  2. Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Demetris, this thing may be just a first step.

Ocarina: 10 euros.
    iPhone: 299 euros.

I'm not sure it's actually a first step, Pawel. smile

Maybe not iPhone per se, but I mean that the consoles are something parents buy their children and Guitar Hero may be inspiring to get the real thing and get an interest in music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think the subject matter changed. How would you call the topic now? smile

"Ocarinas and Demetris' Abhorrence for the New"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I doubt it. Unlike the iCarina, Guitar Hero's got zilch to do with actual guitar playing.
    (And here too: Guitar Hero: 199 euros.
    Practise acoustic/electric guitar: 50 euros)
  3. Actually in case of music I'd be pretty much a traditionalist myself smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I think the subject matter changed. How would you call the topic now? smile

"Ocarinas and Demetris' Abhorrence for the New"?

"iCarinaphobia?"
    "Nocarina?"
  4. Nocarina sounds almost like a medication biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Actually in case of music I'd be pretty much a traditionalist myself smile

I am too. Very much so! But I'm certainly not against new ideas and new applications in music because they're only going to add to the musical world if people still keep a sense of the traditional. Which, thankfully, there are.

The world of music would be a sad place indeed if it was filled with Brian Tylers. (Whom I like, don't get me wrong, but in short bursts. wink)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008
    In short, the iPhone ocarina is for fun. You can play music with it but it's just to play a bit.
    It will never replace real instruments of course, that's not what it is made for. It sounds different and it feels different to play. To be honest I tried it on the iPhone and it didn't work that well. I got out of breath because you lose too much air when you blow into the mic. And the fingerholes are not sensitive enough (or too sensitive, I don't know). Anyway, it doesn't work that well and it's nothing like a real one. But it's fun and that's all it is. Pianos aren't all replaced by casios right? And books aren't replaced by eBooks or iBooks. And kids still play real sports. So no worries!
    kiss
  5. E-Books is not a bad idea if you don't have access to the real thing and it's not a substitution, it's just another format.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've been sceptical for the longest time, but it finally seems e-books are really getting into their own!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFNEm2XFlc

I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one in the not too distant future!

(It'll be a cold day in hell before I consign my "real" books to the attic, though!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They can't reproduce the smell of real books.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You just remember that next time you go on holidays and pack your overnight bag with six hardcover novels... wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    They can't reproduce the smell of REAL books. angry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    You could stuff some paper up your nose during the trip?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I carry the whole bibliography for my thesis on a 1 gb usb flash stick. Now that's something.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2008 edited
    I use parchment made by the finest Italian craftsman and feather of Phoenix as a scribe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I also wear a monocle and a top hat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...and use copious amounts of opium, apparently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shut up and let the pink elephant talk for once! rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I've been sceptical for the longest time, but it finally seems e-books are really getting into their own!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDFNEm2XFlc

Interesting! Especially what it does to the eyes and how they make it an experience like you're looking at paper. It can be very useful but reading a book is so much more than just reading words and sentences. You have to smell it indeed, feel the weight, see where you are (in the beginning, middle or end), hear the paper and oh, I love a bookmark.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2008
    Steven wrote
    I use parchment made by the finest Italian craftsman and feather of Phoenix as a scribe.

Heh! You love paper notebooks and fountain pens and stuff like that too? I do. spin