• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. If I'm not mistaken, that was a really good score
    good to see more Conti music on the market
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Martijn wrote
    I do. Honestly. (Even though Carole Bouquet did little for me)...

No Rocky (Survivor's Eye Of the Tiger kicks anything Conti did right on its ass), no Right Stuff (although that does keep up rather well), and no North & South (generic... generic... generic... nothing memorable there, and "mere" craftmanship simply doesn't do it for me! Which is why Masters Of The Universe leaves me cold as well. It's not bad...it's just...stale.)

But no mention of Coolangatta Gold? I would have thought stylistically if you liked FYEO then you'd have to rate his score for Coolangatta Gold right up there.
  3. NEW score release:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

Anybody heard that score?
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  4. justin boggan wrote
    http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/p … ;archive=0

Anybody heard that score?

nope, but any Conti score is good enough for me smile
  5. It's now up for sale:
    http://www.lalalandrecords.com/TCS.html
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBhelPuri
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2009
    36 min of music for $20! Too expensive sad
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BhelPuri wrote

You measure the quality of music by its duration?
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    One of my very favourite scores is Le Train by Philippe Sarde and it's only 18 minutes complete, if it had cost $20 I'd have considered that money well spent, as it is the CD is padded out with other works and I rarely play them so in effect I've paid full price for a CD that I only play 18 minutes from....money well spent IMO.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I guess the main costs of making these albums are licensing the music (probably by far the largest), mastering it and physically making the CDs. Of those, only the middle one would vary based on how much music there is, and I don't suppose it is a particularly significant cost for a 1983 score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Casey Singleton wrote
    I would have thought stylistically if you liked FYEO then you'd have to rate his score for Coolangatta Gold right up there.

I might...if I had the vaguest inkling of what in heaven's name you were talking about. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. BhelPuri wrote

perhaps, but sometimes 80 minute of music doesn't even earn a single dollar, so perhaps reconsider that fact wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    COHEN & TATE
    Composed and Conducted by BILL CONTI
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 139

The 1988 feature Cohen & Tate, about a boy abducted by two hitman and driven across Texas at night, attracted composer Bill Conti due to its unrelenting darkness, giving Conti the opportunity to compose his darkest, most serious work. Conti was best known for brightly triumphant scores ranging from Rocky to The Right Stuff. Thrillers weren't new to Conti, though, as he had made inroads to scoring thrillers in the late 1980s, among them the supernatural Nomads and the suspenseful F/X. The Cohen & Tate score would be a markedly different challenge for Conti, as the film plays like a chamber piece for three characters, all bent on destroying the other as they drive in a vehicle that doubles as an emotional pressure cooker. Conti deliberately avoided the overtly thematic scoring he was best known for, instead sublimating his character motifs into the music’s turbulent, and oftentimes explosive atmosphere of dread. Travis’s tender youth becomes the sound of piano, tossed against the hitmen’s brooding strings, the chords’ bright sounds almost lost in a sea of menacing low tones. Yet, the piano’s hopeful sound always manages to rise again, no matter what’s thrown at it. Conti’s use of the piano also gives the score a subtle, classical feeling, one that becomes more overt as the film progresses. But in this unforgiving world, Conti’s love of Baroque melody mostly stands in for two professionals who are bluntly elegant in their work. Conti also focuses on French horn at the request of director Eric Red (The Hitcher) "...
    because it’s somber, muted and heroic There’s a power to it which embodies Cohen, especially as he bonds with Travis against Tate."

Cohen & Tate offers a disturbing thriller on the two-lane blacktop, as a nine-year old boy (Harley Cross) engages in a psychological battle of wits with
    two steely hitmen (Roy Scheider, Adam Baldwin). The film would litter the middle-of-the-night road to Houston with the bodies of innocents, and mature the boy into a lethal match for his tormentors. And riding shotgun, so to speak, would be one of the most ominous and unrelenting scores ever to be found in the otherwise upbeat musical canon of Bill Conti.

01. Main Title 1:13
    02. The Hit 5:33
    03. Wounded? 3:50
    04. Tail Lites 4:23
    05. It’s Them 1:11
    06. It’s Really Them 0:54
    07. Roadblock 6:11
    08. Kaboom 1:18
    09. The New Car 0:38
    10. Travis Is Right 2:48
    11. Near Miss 1:58
    12. Round To Tate 1:43
    13. Travis Slips Away 2:33
    14. Help Me 1:17
    15. The Final Battle 4:40
    16. End Title 2:06

This release is limited to 1200 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 139
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE 8/17/2010
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6660/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2010
    pass
    listen to more classical music!
  7. The Formula

CDs will begin shipping the week of October 4.

Limited Edition of 1200 copies

Music Composed by Bill Conti

Marlon Brando and George C. Scott starred in John G. Avildsen's 1980-thriller The Formula.

A detective uncovers a formula that was devised by the Nazis in WW II to make gasoline from synthetic products, thereby eliminating the necessity for oil--and oil companies. A major oil company finds out about it and tries to destroy the formula and anyone who knows about it.

Bill Conti's score, though sparse, is powerful, symphonic and comes to CD for the first time with this special release that has been discounted to reflect its shorter than usual running time.

1. Main Title (2:36)
    2. Bye Bye Kay (3:04)
    3. Obermann (1:30)
    4. The End Of Obermann (1:30)
    5. Lisa And Barney (2:44)
    6. My Sentiments (1:44)
    7. Please Stay (3:27)
    8. That's True (2:48)
    9. The Chocolate Shop (2:12)
    10. Neeley's Shirt (1:29)
    11. End Title (2:36)
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    INTRADA Announces:

WRONGFULLY ACCUSED
    Composed and Conducted by BILL CONTI
    INTRADA Special Collection Volume 162

“The following dramatization is true, based on real
    events, from other actual movies.”

The 1998 Morgan Creek feature Wrongfully Accused, starring Leslie Nielsen, is a frenetic satire of many of its contemporaries. Woven into its central The Fugitive satire would be references to Fatal Attraction, A Clear and Present Danger, Mission: Impossible, North by Northwest, Braveheart and Titanic, the most obvious among some 35 spoofs on hand for Bill Conti to tackle. But what would distinguish the seriously sly musical homages in Wrongfully Accused was just how old school they could be, with an overarching tone that dipped into the romantic 1940’s well of Casablanca and Franz Waxman’s Dark Passage, not to mention the hard-boiled film noir stylings of such Miklos Rozsa scores as The Asphalt Jungle and The Naked City. Conti was sure to combine strong character themes with rippingly overblown orchestral suspense, giving the score a cohesiveness that also helped glue its stream-of-consciousness sight gags together. Scored for large orchestra and running over 60 minutes, the diverse score features a bittersweet love theme, relentless music for the manhunt sequences, straight-laced action music, and the highlight, a virtual violin concerto for the lengthy opening concert hall sequence. It makes for an exciting musical journey that on its own would give no indication it was composed for a satire, for the maestro Conti knows that things can be funnier to the audience when played straight.

This Intrada release features the complete score from the original stereo session masters and is limited to 1500 units.

INTRADA Special Collection Vol. 162
    Retail Price: $19.99
    AVAILABLE NOW
    For track listing and sound samples, please visit
    http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.6985/.f
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    Years ago I was dubious about Conti to say the least, but in recent years I've become a serious convert - basically because with every score I hear of his, it only re-emphasises just how few composers of modern times can write consistently interesting orchestral music in the way of Conti and those of his generation.

This is another certain buy for me - my God, listen to the soundclip from 'He's Got a Leg', if that alone doesn't convince a purchase, then nothing will!
  8. NEW INTRADA RELEASE

FIVE DAYS FROM HOME

Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume 240
    Date: 1979
    Tracks: 17
    Time = 54:52

World premiere expanded CD release of dynamic Bill Conti soundtrack from George Peppard prisoner escapee tale starring director as star. Conti anchors with stirring theme offering crisp, trumpet-led ROCKY vibe, surrounds with array of ideas in all manner of style, from funky to dramatic, from gentle to powerful. Tender piano treatments, aggressive, rhythmic main theme are highlights but Conti-penned vocals (sung by De Etta Metoyer, Nelson Pigford) also sparkle. Intrada presents all original 1979 MCA album contents from mint condition album masters, courtesy UMG, then adds wealth of previously unreleased score from original 1/4" 15 ips two-track stereo session mixes. Cool, crisp score! Bill Conti conducts. Intrada Special Collection release available while quantities and interest remains!

01. Five Days From Home (Theme) 3:20
    02. I Could With Your Love [Vocal By De Etta Metoyer & Nelson Pigford] 3:24
    03. Come With Me Now (Love Theme) 2:08
    04. Lighting Into Town 4:42
    05. Motel No. 1 4:09
    06. Fiddle-Diddle 2:15
    07. This House Has Never Known Such Love 2:05
    08. Five Days From Home (Theme) 4:43
    09. Come With Me Now (Love Theme) 3:30
    10. The Bridge 2:37
    11. Motel No. 2 2:59
    12. This House Has Never Known Such Love [Vocal By De Etta Metoyer] 3:07
    13. The Dump 2:01
    14. The First Tango From Texas 1:50
    15. The Last Desperate Steps 2:46
    16. Come With Me Now (Love Theme) [Vocal By Nelson Pigford] 4:52
    17. Five Days From Home (End Theme) 2:01
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2013
    http://sdtom.wordpress.com/2013/10/30/i-the-juryconti/

A review of I, The Jury. You'll enjoy this if your into jazz.
    Tom
  9. Happy Thursday everyone!

The latest review in my Throwback Thirty series of reviews is of Bill Conti’s score for one of 1984's biggest hits, THE KARATE KID, which was playing in theaters thirty years ago this week! Wax on, wax off!

http://moviemusicuk.us/2014/08/28/the-k … ill-conti/

Enjoy smile

Jon
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2014
    good one Jon
  10. I missed it, but Conti did a new interview a few months ago:

http://blog.tvstoreonline.com/2015/03/a … bill.html.