• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorAntineutrino
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    A top, top score - derivative as anything, but SO enjoyable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Southall wrote
    A top, top score - derivative as anything, but SO enjoyable.

It's very good fun cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    A two CD set of Superman... errrr... Masters of the Universe... sweeeeeet! I love Conti in Williams/Holst mode!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Have never heard this score before. How would you describe it musically?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    It is a full orchestra in full heroic power mode score with a very heroic main theme and some additional, minor themes. Some good action tracks, a very nice, inspiring "farewell" track and a hell of an end title theme. You could call it a rather typical heroic fantasy score from the eighties from a time before Zimmer, not too different in style from the Beastmaster scores, just in case you know them. If you love Conti´s big orchestral stuff like "The Right Stuff" or "North and South", you may like this a lot, because personally, I think it´s better.

Keep in mind though for what it was written, and I think you get a very good feeling how the main theme might sound. It´s as heroic as they come, probably one of the most heroic themes ever written, which might be a bit too much for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet! Have to hear that!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Lots of info AND clips here:

http://www.filmtracks.com/titles/masters_universe.html

I should add that I absolutely disagree with that bloke who wrote the review...
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    I loved his piano use in the Thomas Crown Affair cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It´s as heroic as they come, probably one of the most heroic themes ever written, which might be a bit too much for you.

Oooooh... what about that OTHER theme that Conti steals from Miklos Rozsa's Ben-Hur. Right... the Miracle theme. SHAMELESS!!!

Anyway, the score is a lot of fun. One big, epic, loud, derivative fantasy score.

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    omaha wrote
    I loved his piano use in the Thomas Crown Affair cool

Which is nowhere near as great as Michel Legrand's version! tongue

But back to 'Masters' which is big, ballsy, derivitive fun! cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Am I a rare one in being happy at all the Conti releases that are coming out? 'cause ever time I see an FSM thread, they b!tch and moan that Varese Club did another Conti.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  2. Erik Woods wrote
    Oooooh... what about that OTHER theme that Conti steals from Miklos Rozsa's Ben-Hur. Right... the Miracle theme. SHAMELESS!!!

Maybe he wanted to reference that because of the "He-Man is our savior"-aspect.

And yes, I am kidding.
  3. and the old classic scores keep being released, what a time for soundtrack fans punk
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    I like the fact that the score is released, but having heard it on its original release (on LP. Yeah, yeah, yeah... rolleyes ), I have to admit not having given it a second listen ever...it's just kinda... well... stale.

There are oodles of good Heroic Fantasy scores from the seventies and eighties our there, but I wouldn't really count this one among the top twenty.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorlp
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2008
    I finally got around to reading the interview with Bill Conti and it's a good one. Lots of good info to chew on, IMO. Recommended.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008
    Martijn wrote
    I like the fact that the score is released, but having heard it on its original release (on LP. Yeah, yeah, yeah... rolleyes ), I have to admit not having given it a second listen ever...it's just kinda... well... stale.

There are oodles of good Heroic Fantasy scores from the seventies and eighties our there, but I wouldn't really count this one among the top twenty.

"stale"?

Well, there's always his extremely dated 1980's "Bond" score you know and love to listen to vomit wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2008 edited
    I loved the score for For your eyes only as a kid. I thought Runaway (?) was a very powerful, fast-paced action track (though I was aware, of course, of its "modern" elements even then). I even heard it again recently, and yes, this is as dated as far as the definition allows.

Masters of the Universe, however, works for me as much today as it did then.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I loved the score for For your eyes only as a kid. I thought Runaway (?) was a very powerful, fast-paced action track (though I was aware, of course, of its "modern" elements even then). I even heard it again recently, and yes, this is as dated as far as the definition allows.

Masters of the Universe, however, works for me as much today as it did then.

For Your Eyes Only isn't just disco....it's bad disco! ( and to think John Barry personally recommended him rolleyes )

MOTU is pretty good fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I loved the score for For Your Eyes Only as a kid.
    I thought Runaway was a very powerful, fast-paced action track (though I was aware, of course, of its "modern" elements even then).

I even heard it again recently, and yes, it still works!

Masters of the Universe, however, I thought was terrible from inception... slant
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. How do I get the feeling we have a slight disagreement here...? wink

Honestly, yes, FYEO is terribly dated, but that doesn´t mean I think it´s crap. I still like it.

But MotU hasn´t aged a day since then, and I think it as a big fantasy score, it works just perfectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    How do I get the feeling we have a slight disagreement here...? wink

Ya think? wink
    I love For Your Eyes Only, but to date it's the only Conti score I love... maybe because it so blatantly throws its cliches around? It pulls no punches and does not apologise, and references the Bond theme more than Barry ever did himself. I like that!
    (It may help that I think it's the best Bond film around as well).
  5. (You... do? Honestly, only because Carole Bouquet was and will be the hottest Bond girl ever (me and women with crossbows, don´t ask!), that doesn´t make FYEO the best Bond film. Personally, The World is not enough works best for me.)

@ Conti: Really? No Rocky, no Right Stuff, no North & South? Strange...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I do. Honestly. (Even though Carole Bouquet did little for me)

Somehow it all just seems to gell together, with a Bond (Moore is my Bond, incidentally, which accounts for a lot, I guess) who is far less dependent on gadgets, and who is ratehr ruthless though still keeping the style and irony Moore did so exceedingly well, with one of the best and most involving plots, some of the most excellent location work and some of the best action sequences in the entire series.

No Rocky (Survivor's Eye Of the Tiger kicks anything Conti did right on its ass), no Right Stuff (although that does keep up rather well), and no North & South (generic... generic... generic... nothing memorable there, and "mere" craftmanship simply doesn't do it for me! Which is why Masters Of The Universe leaves me cold as well. It's not bad...it's just...stale.)
  6. Hm, I see...

I started out with Roger Moore as well (Moonraker was my initiation into Bond), and I will agree that FYEO hit some right spots, but I wanted Pierce Brosnan for Bond even while he was busy doing Remington Steele, so when he finally got that job, I thought it was pitch-perfect.

About Conti... if you are on a field trip with your biology class and your teacher starts the day with the fanfare from Rocky to wake you up for some morning sports, you´re bound to be conditioned for life. That Rocky fanfare became our class´s hymn after that, so there you go, it´s totally personal stuff.

The End Title Theme for The Right Stuff is a fantastic uplifting track.

North & South, well, what can I say, you´re probably right.

But Masters? No way... I love that, maybe because I didn´t see the movie or anything else, maybe because I´m such a addict for fantasy/heroic music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

He isn't... he isn't. This is the best film music release of 2008 for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Southall wrote:
    He isn't... he isn't.

But my dear boy, I am. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    How do I get the feeling we have a slight disagreement here...? wink

Ya think? wink
    I love For Your Eyes Only, but to date it's the only Conti score I love... maybe because it so blatantly throws its cliches around? It pulls no punches and does not apologise, and references the Bond theme more than Barry ever did himself. I like that!
    (It may help that I think it's the best Bond film around as well).

Apart from an extremely cheesy begining it's not a bad Bond film at all, harking back to the basics of OHMSS.

The score works well in parts except for the nasty disco stuff which was done far better by Marvin Hamlisch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008 edited
    Southall wrote
    Ralph Kruhm wrote

He isn't... he isn't. This is the best film music release of 2008 for me.

Agreed! Great score and a wonderful release. How could you NOT love that end title cue? And what a theme... WHAT. A. THEME! Simply wonderful!

-Erik-
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2008 edited
    Oh, I have absolutely nothing against that theme. I find it fits perfectly to the series, gives it the perfect sense of... well, historic soap that the series is. When I tried to rewatch it a couple of years back, it felt more like Dallas or Dynasty in costumes than anything else (not unlike The Tudors, though very dated). But there is that one scene from the end of season one where the running train is seperating the friends from each other, both knowing that their friendship is doomed because war is looming on the horizon. That track Contri wrote for that scene is worth a few tears, absolutely brilliant, for me, the best version of the theme.

But still, I can see where Martijn´s "generic" point of view is coming from. The feeling you get about the score is pretty standard historic soap stuff (or drama, if you really want me to say that), even if it´s good.