• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Things change and don't stay the same. Once upon a time we lived in caves, then huts, then houses Once upon a time we sat on dirt, then rocks, then chairs, and now Lazy-Boys. Once we heard people screaming from dying, birds screaming, and now Celin Dion.

Time brings new found things. I was thinking about the house of the future. Recall a time when you had to remember all your phone numbers? Bet you can't recall half of them since you have a cellphone now, huh?
    Remember all that precious time spent rewinding VHS tapes and cassettes? Can't say I miss that or having to be careful with the needle on an LP, or for that matter scratchy LPs.

But I invisioned new versions of everyday household items. Tell me what you think about it:

FURNITURE
    The living room of the future will have no furniture as holograms will form the items and as such you can completely redecorate the living rom whenever you want (as long as your purchase the new files from iFurnitire.com ;-). This may lead to some people simply having no sense of normalcy. We all come home and are happy to be sitting our favorite chair, lie in our beds, and see the specially laid out decore. And this leaves no hand-made items and we loose wood-working skills and other trades -- should society crumble. And no antiques.

SHOWERS
    I take a page right out of the Star Trek spin-off "Voyager" where we learn that they don't use water, but sonic waves; a "Sonic shower".
    I don't know about you, but I like lying in a bath, or feeling the shower fall down upon me. Could any of you be absolutely happy just feeling sonic waves? Sure it saves water and probably gets you really clean.

INSTANT ITEMS
    If it's one thing the new generation is being accused of is being the "now" generation; that we are too lazy to wait for things and we have to have it now.
    Following the hologram idea from above, once we urchase an items online, we can then have it materialize right in front of us. No more UPS or USPS or FedEx. One plus side I can think of is having instant "Demo" items to test; items that disappear after a pre-determined amount of time, so you can try the cloths, shoes and other items out to make sure it's what you wanted.
    But the new youth will loose the patience you get. No more, "things come to those who wait" or learning to build anticipation.

FLYING CARS
    Problem ... you crash into the ground. Assuming you don't hit other vehicles flying on your way down, and don't hit a house, pedestrian, or other things. Bad idea.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008
    MONORAILS! (hopefully) smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2008 edited
    justin boggan wrote
    FLYING CARS
    Problem ... you crash into the ground. Assuming you don't hit other vehicles flying on your way down, and don't hit a house, pedestrian, or other things. Bad idea.

Flying cars? Excellent idea! I bet someone is thinking about that right now...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    MONORAILS! (hopefully) smile

....and silver suits.....and purple hair....and, oh wait wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I'd love it if we travelled around on Hovercrafts to be honest. It's essentially moving around on a bouncy castle!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Howabout those matter transporting pods? Just make sure there are no flies in it!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt