• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010
    Marselus wrote
    Anthony wrote
    Sean Callery was tracking too much music again (season 6 when Graeme dies, anyone?) and most importantly, there was no suspense again!

Callery seems to need a few episodes to warm up (unless there´s a chopper involved).

There has been this season, and he's tracked that! tongue

One thing I liked was how we were in a mirroring position at the end of episode 5 in seasons 7 + 8.

Last season saw Renee saying she wouldn't beg for her life when Jack was ordered to kill her, and this season we had her begging for death!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I watched an episode the other night since my parents watch it. All I can say is that I'm surprised this has lasted for 8 seasons, especially since Fox have canceled two great Whedon shows: Firefly and Dollhouse. (Amongst many other cancellations.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    Anthony wrote
    One thing I liked was how we were in a mirroring position at the end of episode 5 in seasons 7 + 8.

Last season saw Renee saying she wouldn't beg for her life when Jack was ordered to kill her, and this season we had her begging for death!

Indeed. And as I said in another post, I think she meant it.
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I wish I could un-see season 5 and watch it again for the first time. cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2010 edited
    Steven wrote
    I watched an episode the other night since my parents watch it. All I can say is that I'm surprised this has lasted for 8 seasons, especially since Fox have canceled two great Whedon shows: Firefly and Dollhouse. (Amongst many other cancellations.)

beer What did you expect my friend? It's fox. The only non-crap thing they've got going on is Seth McFarlane
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I wouldn't call 24 crap, but it's criminal that a show like 24 has been allowed to carry on for 8 seasons when Firefly wasn't even allowed to finish its first season! Thankfully Dollhouse was given 2 seasons, with the finale being shown in a few days. In fact, Dollhouse is one of the best TV shows I've seen in a long while, right up there with Battlestar Galactica. (If you ever do get round to watching it, don't be put off by the first 4 or 5 episodes. Fox stuck their noses in and wanted completely self-contained episodes so that audiences could start the season without having to worry about a story line to follow! rolleyes After those few initial episodes, it really kicks off.)
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I will watch it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Do. It's worth your time! Just bear in mind the first few episodes are self-contained (thanks to Fox). They're good, but nothing as good as the show eventually proved itself to be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010
    Steven wrote

In all seriousness, it carries on because people watch it, unlike the other ones. Vent your anger at those who watch it but not the others, not Fox! (People like me, I must admit.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    The fact is 24´s retings have been very solid and stable during the years. Last seasons have averaged a total of 10-11 million viewers per episode. That´s much more than other TV shows (Heroes, Dollhouse, Terminator, Fringe, etc) that are already cancelled or about to be. For an eight year show, to keep those ratings (seems that season 8 will be no exception, as the first five episodes have reached those 10-11 million viewers per episode) is reason more than enough to be still on production. Even Lost´s ratings have decreased (a lot) through the years (and there has been only 5 seasons so far).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Dollhouse season 1 had an average of 4.5m viewers in the US, season 2 was just under half that. The last season of Lost had an average of 11m (down from 15m in its first season, which isn't really too bad, especially when you think how crap it is). So, that's why one keeps going and the other doesn't, sadly regardless of quality. It's hard to blame Fox for that. (And I have no opinion on the quality of Dollhouse, since I haven't seen it.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Lost had an average of 11m (down from 15m in its first season, which isn't really too bad, especially when you think how crap it is).

You can look at it two ways:

- it is a big drop if you keep in mind its budget: we are talking loosing 4-5 million viewers in only 4 years in a VERY expensive TV show.

- .... but not enough to call it a huge drop if your plans are to finish it in season 6.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    It's a show that needs you to watch every episode else you won't have a clue what's going on (even some of us who do watch every episode don't really know what's going on most of the time), so I guess this sort of audience drop is inevitable given how long it's been going. (Contrast with something like 24, which I know in theory is one long story within a season, but it doesn't really matter if you miss an episode or two - you can drop back in and still keep up with it even if you've missed some details here and there.)

But anyway, I guess it comes down to the margin by which the advertising revenue exceeds the cost of making the show. I don't suppose when they started making Lost they would have dreamed it would have attracted the number of viewers it did, so that unexpected margin gives further scope for audience drop-off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2010 edited
    Southall wrote
    Dollhouse season 1 had an average of 4.5m viewers in the US, season 2 was just under half that. The last season of Lost had an average of 11m (down from 15m in its first season, which isn't really too bad, especially when you think how crap it is). So, that's why one keeps going and the other doesn't, sadly regardless of quality. It's hard to blame Fox for that. (And I have no opinion on the quality of Dollhouse, since I haven't seen it.)

Fox are still very stupid to cancel a show like Firefly and keep The Simpsons going for 20 seasons, regardless of money. That's why I hate them: they're in it just for the business and don't care about the art. I know they're a studio and that's what they're meant to be like, but it still pisses me off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Simpsons has been horrible for the last 5-6 years or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Fox are still very stupid to cancel a show like Firefly and keep The Simpsons going for 20 seasons, regardless of money.

How is it stupid? How could it ever be sensible for them to keep paying for an expensive show which nobody watches but stop paying for a cheap show which lots of people watch? They're not the BBC, if they don't maximise ratings then they'll go out of business.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    It's not stupid in terms of business, in fact I'm sure it was quite sensible (I guess). But what's stupid is that great shows like Firefly or Dollhouse get canceled. It's as simple as that. Being a fan of those shows, it's hard for me to agree with the decisions of a company that cancels them. The Simpsons have been making digs at Fox for years, and for good reason. They're a bunch of cronies in suits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    A commercial enterprise which is only out to maximise return for its shareholders... whatever will happen next?

If people had watched the cancelled shows, they'd still be going. It's a shame, if a good show doesn't get to carry on, but there wouldn't be any shows at all if the production companies were willing to take losses on things just because of a tiny (but devoted) audience. For the "higher" arts like theatre and classical music, nothing makes any money at all, but those things can continue because of enormous handouts from wealthy individuals who like them, which isn't the case with tv. If I was in charge of Fox then Arrested Development would currently be in its seventh season, and me and the other six people who watched it would be ecstatic, but Fox itself would probably be bust.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    A commercial enterprise which is only out to maximise return for its shareholders... whatever will happen next?

Can't you just let me have a rant? That's all I want to do!

I hate Fox and nothing anyone says will change my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    They're responsible for a large percentage of the shit and rubbish that gets out on american tv for sure. Their news especially are abominable.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    They're responsible for a large percentage of the shit and rubbish that gets out on american tv for sure. Their news especially are abominable.

Well, you don't have to watch it. wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2010
    I love Jack's terrible glasses. biggrin

But otherwise that was just another completely pointless filler episode and the only plot that actually developed was Jenny's/Dana's looser boyfriend crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Ouch.

I´m saving the episode for tomorrow night to watch it after the first two episodes of Lost lick
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I pray that Lost isn't shit. I really do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2010
    Anthony wrote
    I love Jack's terrible glasses. biggrin

Yes. He looks like a nerd (a german speaking nerd). We had never seen that side of Jack Bauer.

Anthony wrote
    But otherwise that was just another completely pointless filler episode and the only plot that actually developed was Jenny's/Dana's looser boyfriend crap.

I agree, a filler episode, although we got to see more of Renee´s journey to hell. This won´t end well.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2010
    http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=26967

I say bring it on. The show is too formulaic now and a movie could bring some fresh ideas in.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2010
    S08E07 is the first great episode of the season. Vladimir is out with a bang (good job, Renee) and Jack proves he can kill three people after being stabbed.

I can´t get THIS and THIS out of my head though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    This season is sooooo slow. We've been sat at the same warehouse for three - THREE - episodes in a row now. Unless Jack is on screen I often find my attention wandering and I was playing on my phone throughout most of the episode.

I'm not a fan of this episode, and a LOT of what Jack did bugged the hell out of me.

- Him getting stabbed was the most shocking part of the episode, but after immediately pulling the knife out HE GOES AND COMFORTS RENEE?!

- He hears a noise outside and just assumes it's CTU. He walks out there COMPLETELY UNARMED and suddenly shits himself when he realises it's the Russians. WHY WASN'T HE CAUTIOUS IN THE FIRST PLACE?!

And perhaps the #1 stupidest thing Jack has done:

- He hands himself over to the Russians on a whim and WITH NO BACKUP PLAN. They could have just shot him in the head right there and then, and he wouldn't have been able to do shit. What was that Jack? crazy rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    What was that Jack? crazy rolleyes

I think it´s the glasses.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    Finally, we're in for some Jack torture:

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php … amp;ref=nf

And we all know the results when the torture comes to an end. kill