• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008
    Marselus wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    I don't think these things would ever come to your mind if you weren't looking for stuff to hold against LOST. How are we (and thousands others mind you) able to hold up to the plot, make logical suggestions and come up with theories about LOST

You´re right here, but this is directly attached to the show. Lost is "designed" to create debate, theories, etc.
    With "24" we dont´t theorise if Jack is gonna make it ´til the end of the season (we KNOW he will), or if the bad guy is gonna achieve his evil plans. But that´s what can make Lost more disappointing in the end, after years of theories and debate.

You see, those "Jack is gonna make it" philosophies behind 24 remind me of all the Chuck Norris' and the Rambo's of the world; and i just can't take anything like that seriously. smile
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Where Lost WILL fall down (and I use capitals because it's completely inevitable) is that it will reach the end and there will be so very many unresolved questions. As I may have said before... having completely random events presented as plot "twists" is just cheating the audience. The present season actually seems to have been planned out, so far, but so much of it has obviously been made up as they've gone along, they won't be able to satisfy those looking for answers.

With 24 on the other hand, you just know that Jack's going to shoot the motherfuckers in the end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah but they DID explain a lot of things in LOST so far; yes they opened up even more holes but i am confident that they will close them eventually - at least the most important of those.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    I wish I shared your confidence! I guess it depends on the nature of the explanation. If it's "oh, it was all just a supernatural phenomenon" or something like that, then they've been cheating the audience.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Demetris - you compare Bauer to Rambo and Norris, but it's more of a question of what he personally loses or gains in a season. Yes, he WILL kill all the terrorists, but he's lost - his wife, his daughter doesn't want to see him any more, he's had to kill friends and co-workers, he'd been addicted to drugs, he's got a restraining order on him from the father of his latest ex, and he's been betrayed by his father and his brother, both of who he's seen die.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Southall wrote
    Where Lost WILL fall down (and I use capitals because it's completely inevitable) is that it will reach the end and there will be so very many unresolved questions. As I may have said before... having completely random events presented as plot "twists" is just cheating the audience. The present season actually seems to have been planned out, so far, but so much of it has obviously been made up as they've gone along, they won't be able to satisfy those looking for answers.

With 24 on the other hand, you just know that Jack's going to shoot the motherfuckers in the end.

That´s a good summary of my thoughts punk

Christodoulides wrote
    You see, those "Jack is gonna make it" philosophies behind 24 remind me of all the Chuck Norris' and the Rambo's of the world; and i just can't take anything like that seriously.

Hmmm...you´re comparing Jack Bauer with Rambo or Chucky Norris? Jack is way cooler man! tongue
    Seriously, I don´t think you can´t compare those in any aspect: story, plot, directing, editing, scoring (yes, scoring too).
    Anything with an orchestra or with a choir....at some point will reach you
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't think that the major holes (like who the fuck are the OTHERS and the other OTHERS for example and where did they come from) were covered with "it's a supernatural phenomenon"-isms so far; nor has the plane crash, or the Dharma thingy and the Dharma stations on the island or the French chick's radio s.o.o message nor any other major hole SO FAR, the way i see it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote
    Demetris - you compare Bauer to Rambo and Norris, but it's more of a question of what he personally loses or gains in a season. Yes, he WILL kill all the terrorists, but he's lost - his wife, his daughter doesn't want to see him any more, he's had to kill friends and co-workers, he'd been addicted to drugs, he's got a restraining order on him from the father of his latest ex, and he's been betrayed by his father and his brother, both of who he's seen die.

Agree, Jack Bauer is probably one of the most tortured (emotionally I mean) characters ever created.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote

Come on mate; even RAMBO cries in the latest Rambo movie wink And the net is full of Chuck Norris vs Chuck Bauer websites which are damn funny, i just can't take all this seriously.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I just watched the episode where he has to kill Chapelle. That's a difficult watch.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Come on mate; even RAMBO cries in the latest Rambo movie wink And the net is full of Chuck Norris vs Chuck Bauer websites which are damn funny, i just can't take all this seriously.

Jack Bauer has cried. Several times. The season 3 finale is him breaking down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    Anthony wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    Anthony wrote

Jack Bauer has cried. Several times. The season 3 finale is him breaking down.

That one was a great finale.
    And the moment you mention with Chapelle, that was a tough one.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Considering the final 10 minutes are spent with him on his knees, even willing to take his own life but not being able to...fucked up stuff. Shame Saunders had such a shitty end, he was a good bad guy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008
    ^ And let´s not forget when he has to shoot Curtis in season 6; I was shocked when he did it. And Sutherland´s performance there was brilliant.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hate Fox. They sent an email out before the UK premiere saying ''So...Jack's killed Curtis and a nuke's gone off!''

GAYS! crazy

Curtis had such a wasted death. There was no reason for it apart from shock value. Milo on the other hand, I cheered when he was shot. biggrin
  1. Anthony wrote
    A few points:

1. Why can't you be like me Demetris and like both of them equally? tongue

2. You can't compare the music. It's vastly different in both shows. Giacchino's work for Lost is undoubtably brilliant, but Callery's music (while no way near as clever) really helps the episode move along. His lack-of orchestra makes his synth work even more impressive.

3. 24 is better at lots and lots of ''holy shit!'' moment, where Lost is better at the ''Wuuuuuh?! What the hell is going on here?!''. Again, both different, both liked by me. Lost rewards on-going viewing. 24 can be viewed as more episode centered thing (one big plot, one small story for each ep). Lost is like one massive mystery.

4. 24 luckily has soundtracks. Lost is gay as as we don't have season 3 score. wink

Again, I was a big fan of Lost, especially the first season but I start to hate the basic concept of pushing us too much garbage that isn't nessecary for the show, keep to the subject at hand in 3 seasons and you've got a killer show. I will watch it till the end and it will have brilliant moments to come, but when you have a show as 24 where each episode is basically filled with WTF moments and Lost having once's every 2 to 3 episodes I know which one to pick

And if one man is tortured more than any other person its Jack, common every season he must do the most difficult things and still he must get the job done. Kiefer's performance of Jack is one of the best I've ever seen on TV. There will never be a show quite like it
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Jack Bauer could get off the Lost island in 24 hours anyway. wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I like 24 and LOST equally. Some of my favourite TV shows of all time, both of them.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMarselus
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2008 edited
    Tommy_Boy wrote
    And if one man is tortured more than any other person its Jack, common every season he must do the most difficult things and still he must get the job done. Kiefer's performance of Jack is one of the best I've ever seen on TV. There will never be a show quite like it

Agree totally. The evolution of the character through the six seasons has been amazing. When I see him in the screen in a dramatic scene I always remember all the bad stuff that has happened to him in this six seasons and I think it gets reflexed in Kiefer´s performance.
    And yes, there will never be a show like "24", and Jack Bauer is one of the greatest characters ever created.

Anthony wrote
    Jack Bauer could get off the Lost island in 24 hours anyway.

Or less, given the appropriate gear and equipment. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008
    Anthony wrote

See? Rambo-isms! wink
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    But who'd win in a fight? wink

Add in James Bond, John McClain and Jason Bourne and anyone else who's initials are JB! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Anthony wrote
    But who'd win in a fight? wink

Add in James Bond, John McClain and Jason Bourne and anyone else who's initials are JB! smile

Juliette Binoche?
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Juliette who? confused
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    I hope Logan comes back in season 7 and has a much bigger and more interesting role than season 6. One of the best villains ever.
    • CommentAuthorRick
    Just got thru reading this thread.

I watched the 1st 3 series of 24 religiously. By the end of season 3 I felt it was predictable crap. For example...which person in the CTU "base" seemed least likely to be affiliated with a terrorist? Ok - Then they will eventually be the one outed as a terrorist groupie.

It seemed to get more and more ridiculous (and improbable) with each episode.

On the other hand, LOST - for all its faults, has a more character based approach to its story telling. Those who have stuck with the series are engaged with/attached to the characters. Each character has a "back story". The plotline of being lost on the island/the others takes a backseat to the lives of the people stuck on the island.

PLus, the acting and music in the series are PHENOMINAL.

I know this is just my opinion but LOST beats 24 hands down. It is an emotional roller coaster.

I can't get enough of it.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Watch season 5 of 24. It's got some of the predictable things that you mentioned...but some of the later twists = shocked

In all honesty, I found Lost quite average until Ben and the Others were introduced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Rick wrote

I know this is just my opinion but LOST beats 24 hands down. It is an emotional roller coaster.

YOU.ARE.MY.MAN!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2008 edited
    Death to the non-equal-loving type! crazy

After cake. smile
  2. Anthony wrote

haha, that's a good one biggrin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorRick
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
    Anthony wrote
    Watch season 5 of 24. It's got some of the predictable things that you mentioned...but some of the later twists = shocked

Was season 5 the one where Jack was brought back from being tortured by a Chinese(?) secret government agency, only to (once again!!!) serve the country that betrayed him by trying to stop (another) nuclear bomb going off on American soil. Once again being covertly helped by Chloe in CTU???

No wonder I get seasons confused smile smile smile smile