• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2010
    Stavroula wrote

Pity... I wanted to show off my perfectly shaped abs after all these months working out! (kidding tongue )

:faint:
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTintin
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    Thor wrote
    henry ressurected his "summer plans" thread over at FSM, so I thought we should do the same, even though it's barely just spring yet.

2010 is also turning out to be a great concert year, though. I've already seen Rammstein in Oslo and Ennio Morricone in London. Next up is Jean Michel Jarre in Budapest and Supertramp vocalist Roger Hodgson at the Norwegian Wood festival here in Oslo in June.

You got anything planned yet?

That sounds like a real treat and you finally get to see Hodgson! I imagine Jarre will have a brilliant light show as usual. Happy listening!

I'll be seeing Peter Gabriel with a full orchestra on thursday. I'm really looking forward to that.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2010
    I'll be interested in hearing what it was like Martin, please give us a report.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2011 edited
    So we're going into the tailend of the summer holiday 2011 (at least over here).

Spent the last few weeks in the south of Norway (at our family house, our family island and at a friend's cabin near Kristiansand). Superb weather in an otherwise rainy and cold summer. So lucky there.

I've now been home in Oslo for about a week, working on my health issues and some other stuff, but on Thursday I'm going with some friends to my family's summer house in Denmark. Just for a few days. Hopefully we'll get an "Indian summer" of some sort. It's a fantastic place.

That was my summer. How about you?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012 edited
    So....as this can go beyond 'world travelling', what are everyone's summer plans this year?

I'm going to the South of Norway tomorrow for a couple of weeks. Then I'll spend the remainder of summer in Oslo, before a long weekend to our summer house in Denmark in mid August and then the California trip in late August.

It's raining quite heavily today, 15 C, and we're still waiting for the summer we had hoped for. The temps have barely hit 20 C on the best of days. Disappointing, but kinda typical.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    I can't remember a worse June than the one we're having.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorCaliburn
    I will be trying special American beers during labor weekend with Thor ;-)
    • CommentAuthorJoshL
    I don't travel much, though I will be making a weekend trip this summer from Pittsburgh to Virginia. My girlfriend's brother is getting married, so that should be fun (and it's very pretty there). We're also booking some regional shows for the band, so that'll give us occasional day-trips. But when I have time off from work, I expect to spend most of it at home, relaxing, catching up on movies and trying not to work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012 edited
    Caliburn wrote
    I will be trying special American beers during labor weekend with Thor ;-)

Certainly, as long as it's not Budweiser (and as long as it's smaller doses!). beer

Give me a Samuel Adams and I'm a happy camper.
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Well, I'm counting the days (3) before I leave for my mini-holiday to the North of Spain.
    I'm in dire need of R&R and now it's finally here in the form of doing absolutely nothing except enjoying myself in a sunny country in a good hotel, with pool and beach and some good company.

Then more hard work until the end of August, when i'll head out to my parents place, to write somewhat more on my PhD, and then also try to relax a bit and have some actual holiday...

That's it for me.

Right now, just counting, 3 days wink
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012
    Have a good trip Elin! You seem to really need that R&R!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2013 edited
    So what are everyone's plans this summer?

This is a thread not only for travelling (that goes in the 'World Travelers' thread), but for all kinds of plans, I guess.

I'll stay here in Oslo for a couple of more weeks, then head down South to my hometown where I'll spend a few days on our family island. Then my friend's wedding, then MAYBE a week at our summer house in Denmark. Then it's back to applying for school jobs and whatnot.

So no 'fancy travelling' or anything like that. Pretty much a standard summer.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013
    No plans here. Maybe a last minute thing like we did last year. Because of the rainy summer then we booked a cabin on a campsite in southern France, we booked only one or two weeks in advance.

This year we don't even know yet if and when Maykel will have weeks off. So once we know, it will probably be a last minute thing like last year if we want and maybe we will just stay at home if the weather is good.

So the kids and I have seven weeks off... I already made a list of things we can do. I promised them (and myself) we will have one day out in each week. I get kind of depressed when I am home for seven weeks and we don't get out much.

Here's some things I'd like to do:

Museum Boerhaave in Leiden - history of science and medicine. I went there with school in april and I loved it and now I will take my kids.

NASA exhibition - A Human Adventure in Utrecht.

And at least some rollercoasters for Quinn. Maybe Efteling or another coaster parc.

I still want to go to Space Expo Noordwijk.

IKEA. Yes, that's a day trip.

And maybe a walk or a swim somewhere.

And all of this together will be more expensive than a week on a campsite in France I guess!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2013 edited
    Bregje wrote
    Museum Boerhaave in Leiden - history of science and medicine. I went there with school in april and I loved it and now I will take my kids.

When you're in Leiden may I also (heartily!) recommend the very cool Museum For Anthropology? It's a great building and they always have great exhibitions!
    From a kid's point of view though maybe a better bet though would be the outstanding Museum Of Antiquities.
    They have an Egyptian temple!
    And mummies! freezing
    Seriously, I think it may be the best museum Leiden has to offer, and it's very child-friendly!

But maybe two museums in a day is a bit much?
    I remember my own youth, and having to do the "cultural thang" for too long is wayyyyy boring. wink

Anyway, for what it's worth.

As for my own holidays...um....well.
    Maybe I'll be able to sneak in a weekend in Paris.
    End of August I will definitely be visiting the wonderful Sonsbeek Theatre Avenue, which is an alternative theatre/carnival sort of festival, which I have enjoyed immensely in former years.

But for the rest: all work, no play.
    I am a dull boy. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2013
    Thanks! With school we went to Antiquities as well, it is a beautiful museum. Perhaps we will do that next year, when Quinn has had the subject classical antiquity for a year.

Perhaps you can tell me what the nicest streets are, with cute little book shops or other nice shops (not the shopping main street). With school we walked from the trainstation to Boerhaave, then to the city hall (square), then to Antiquities. We passed some nice little streets but I didn't pay attention with all those kids! We visited the Burcht as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited
    Hmmmm....that's not an easy task, and very much depends on what you're looking for.

A nice bit to discover is the area below the Hooglandse Kerk: loads of little antique shops, galleries and design stores:
    Basically go to the Burcht and follow De Nieuwstraat from there until De Hooigracht (Hooigracht itself isn't so interesting, though). Nieuwstraat and especially Nieuwe Rijn are very nice!
    Also very cute, a bit more to the south, crossing the Breestraat, is the Pieterskwartier. Loads of little shops!

Not many shops about there, but my favourite children's book shop is Silvester on the very scenic Rapenburg (on the way to either the wonderful Hortus Botanicus or the Museum Of Antiquities). I have no idea if they're really good (although they've been able to make it for decades, so they must be doing something right!), but I happened to find my very favourite book from very tender years there. So I'm favourably prejudiced towards them. smile
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013 edited
    I'm pretty much alone in Oslo right now (except the tourists), so today I took the boat out to one of our fjord islands. I found a spot at the far side of it where there weren't a lot of people and chilled. It's been splendid summer weather for a week now. Sometimes, you have summery options right in your "backyard", so you don't have to travel half way around the globe.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2013
    Alone in Oslo ...that sounds like a particularly depressing Scandinavian film (and Scandinavians can make some DAMN depressing films!)
  2. I won't go on any hollyday this summer but in the fall I'll be on Spiekeroog island.

https://maps.google.de/maps/ms?gl=de&am … 535403c22e

I love the north sea in this time of year. Spiekeroog is a remote, very, very quiet place. Perfect for deep relaxation. You bring along good books and music - I relish that.

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013
    Free music festival Werfpop yesterday.
    It was really nice during the late afternoon with some proper summery, holiday-ish tunes from The Hague band Splendid , but the evening main program kicked off with hardcore drum 'n' bass on the east stage vs. Suicidal Tendencies on the west stage...

The two sound waves met in the middle of the park, where I was.

I fled.
    Er...I mean, I went for ice cream.
    On the other side of town.
    dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    You there is a FESTIVAL thread?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I didn't there. But I here there is?
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    ....honest to goodness guv'nor, I ain't on drugs.... shame dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    A gorgeous sunset going down right now. love
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    Martijn wrote
    Hmmmm....that's not an easy task, and very much depends on what you're looking for.

A nice bit to discover is the area below the Hooglandse Kerk: loads of little antique shops, galleries and design stores:
    Basically go to the Burcht and follow De Nieuwstraat from there until De Hooigracht (Hooigracht itself isn't so interesting, though). Nieuwstraat and especially Nieuwe Rijn are very nice!
    Also very cute, a bit more to the south, crossing the Breestraat, is the Pieterskwartier. Loads of little shops!

Not many shops about there, but my favourite children's book shop is Silvester on the very scenic Rapenburg (on the way to either the wonderful Hortus Botanicus or the Museum Of Antiquities). I have no idea if they're really good (although they've been able to make it for decades, so they must be doing something right!), but I happened to find my very favourite book from very tender years there. So I'm favourably prejudiced towards them. smile

Thank you very much! I'm sorry I forgot to mention that we already went to Leiden on July 4th. shame
    We did see the area and shops near The Burcht and we'll just have to go back for Pieterskwartier some day.

I had many plans for that day but in the end we were very tired after travelling and when we were done at the museum (every train station where we had to switch trains was a construction site!). So we just had something to eat and walked to the Burcht and then home. It doesn't sound like an 11-hour day but it was.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2013
    Aw! Sorry!
    If I'd known there was some urgency to it I would have responded sooner!
    Hope you had a nice day anyway. De Burcht is always a nice place to visit, and it is quite a beautiful bit of Leiden. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    Just arrived in my home town and enjoyed a glass of red wine with my mom on one of our porches. The weather is splendid....26-27 degrees Celsius. Tomorrow, I'll go to our family island paradise and probably won't be online for a few days (even if there is connection there, I don't have an iPhone and won't bring my huge laptop).

Ah....summer finally arrived -- both physically and mentally.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013 edited
    Thor wrote
    Ah....summer finally arrived -- both physically and mentally.

Relaxing and family. Sounds great!
    Enjoy the palm trees too! (Martijn does not accept this fact at all).

I need the weekend. The weather here is great as well. Just had a drink with Thomas in Ghent. The city was calm, a few days before the biggest festival starts. Relaxed!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2013
    I'd like to see the big summer festival in Ghent one day...but to justify TWO trips to the city a year is a bit excessive.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2013
    Just returned from a glorious weekend at our ridiculously beautiful paradise island -- the best in years, weather-wise. Maybe I'll upload a few photos.
    I am extremely serious.