• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013 edited
    God, there's so much alcohol during the summer holidays! Anyone else experienced this?

There was lots this weekend, then more today, then more tomorrow, Thursday, Friday, Saturday. All with different groupings (family & friends).

Geez.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013
    Crazy man!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    Alcohol is something that just happens to you, isn't it.

I can imagine a meme: I got up with the best intentions and then alcohol happened.
  1. Bregje wrote

I can imagine a meme: I got up with the best intentions and then alcohol happened.

Right. I can easily party with friends all night without drinking a drop of alcohol. I suppose in Sweden that would make you loose you citizenship. cheesy
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote

Right. I can easily party with friends all night without drinking a drop of alcohol. I suppose in Sweden that would make you loose you citizenship. cheesy

Don't know about Sweden, but maybe here in Norway! wink

Personally, I cannot party with friends and have a reasonably good time without alcohol. I can hang out with them, of course, but not PARTY without booze in some shape or form or quantity. Never have, probably never will.

Right now, the situations CRY OUT for a cold beer or glass of wine as we're cruising the archipelagos, summer cabins, late nights with sparkling sunsets at 11 and so on. They belong together like hand in a glove.

I'm surprised this isn't more commonplace down on the continent??
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    It is. But we have clinics and 12 step programs for that. wink
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  2. Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    Bregje wrote

Don't know about Sweden, but maybe here in Norway! wink

Personally, I cannot party with friends and have a reasonably good time without alcohol. I can hang out with them, of course, but not PARTY without booze in some shape or form or quantity. Never have, probably never will.

Right now, the situations CRY OUT for a cold beer or glass of wine as we're cruising the archipelagos, summer cabins, late nights with sparkling sunsets at 11 and so on. They belong together like hand in a glove.

I'm surprised this isn't more commonplace down on the continent??

Sweden! A Freudian slip! shame We Germans have entertain a stereotype about Swedish people drinking lots of alcohol ...
  3. Well, I was never a man for greater quantities of alcohol. That's not because I am so sensible. It's just because my stomach won't cooperate. Before I get real drunk I vomit .

The other thing is: My generation tends to drink no alcohol when driving. I notice that people about 10 years older than I are far more relaxed about it. Since I'm a bachelor andlive in a rural area I often drive when meating people. Also I like to be independent.

So - I have many vices - but drinking too much alcohol ain't one of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Captain Future wrote
    I often drive when meating people.

Well done?

But I agree, drinking and driving is a no-go for me too. I only have one beer if I feel like it if the evening is long but otherwise I only drink Looza ACE. :ace: Or sparkling water. But I don't think Thor would drive and drink, if he would drive a car.
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    I often drive when meating people.

Well done?

Yes. But you shouldn't over-cook your thigh-on-the-bone roast. Keep it nice and juicy! devil

But I agree, drinking and driving is a no-go for me too. I only have one beer if I feel like it if the evening is long but otherwise I only drink Looza ACE. :ace: Or sparkling water. But I don't think Thor would drive and drink, if he would drive a car.

I was strictly speaking about myself of course. Didn't mean to imply anything about anyone. smile

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    One or two alcoholic drinks taste better than more than two.

Three glasses of wine is my limit. I really need half a liter of water then! And my stomach starts to hurt a bit yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Of course, I don't drink and drive, but then again I don't drive much to begin with.

I also get HUGE hangovers and like you, it mostly goes to the stomach (and some to the head and general body areas), and while I don't think it's worth it at that exact time, in retrospect it usually is. I can have fun without alcohol, but as far as parties are concerned, they get all the much better with a slight intoxication. Mind you, the days of getting totally sloshed to the extent that I roll around in ditches and stuff is over, especially after I was diagnosed with a chronic liver disease. Whenever I reach the 'perfect level', I slow down with water or nothing at all. Of course, that level may be slightly higher to many of you (except maybe Timmer).

In any case, summer and booze are best friends, especially if the weather is good -- especially because you tend to meet different constellations of people and have parties with all of them.

(that came off more rant-y than I had expected)
    I am extremely serious.
  5. Drinking and driving are a definite no-go for me also. If I am driving then I don't drink anything at all - even with a meal. It's not worth it.

It does mean, in my experience that, if you are involved in an accident and the police don't smell alcohol on you at all then you are not asked to take a breathalyser test. And that's one less thing to worry about!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2013 edited
    Ah, bliss.

Arrived at our paradise summer house on the island of Fur in Denmark after a gruelling 9-hour trip (with my mother) with various busses, trains and ferries. My father was waiting for us here. I could have flown to Bangkok in the same timespan!!

In any case -- arrived, took a bath in the sea, drank a local brewery beer in the seething heat (30 C), drove to some farmer friends of my parents, had a brilliant dinner (all the ingredients came from their own farm -- salad, beans, meat, fantastic potatoes etc.) with loads of wine and whatnot. A fantastic sunset tipped the scale in bliss favour. Tipsy. Summer. Cheers!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2013
    Sounds magic! cool beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  6. cocktail cool

Besides: after a gruelling 9-hour trip (with my mother) ...
    You realize how that sounds, don't you? biggrin

Have a spendid time!

Volker
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ha, ha...yeah, there was an unintended 'double entendre' there. Oops!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Here are a few photos I took on today's off-road biking trip on Fur -- a jewel of an island:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set … 62599ba67e
    I am extremely serious.
  7. ENVY!

What was inside that crepes? lick
  8. My girlfriend is going to Cyprus for a week... which means... I got the house to myself! Woohoo!!! punk

<s>
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Captain Future wrote
    ENVY!

Pancake with delicious chicken in a curry-type stuffing?? Tasted brilliant anyway.
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ENVY!

Pancake with delicious chicken in a curry-type stuffing?? Tasted brilliant anyway.

Mmmmmm! lick
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  9. Timmer wrote
    Thor wrote
    Captain Future wrote
    ENVY!

Mmmmmm! lick

Indeed: Mmmmmm!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Pancakes have an undeserved reputation for only being about SWEET stuff. But it's actually brilliant with other foods too.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014 edited
    So....this year's summer holiday is nearing its end for me.

First I had one great week at our summer house in Denmark (marred only by some annoying guests that stayed there for the whole duration of my time) followed by a few days in my hometown followed by one week at our small family island in the southern archipelago that climaxed in a big, outdoors wedding yesterday (and from which I'm still recuperating). Great sunny weather 99% of the time, so no need for long trips to Southern Europe etc. Both of these places are absolute paradises on Earth.

Heading back to Oslo tomorrow, but I still have things to look forward to -- the Norwegian Film Festival in Haugesund in two weeks time, a film music weekend in Helsinki at the end of August, a weekend at our summer house in Denmark again (this time with a few friends of mine) and then Krakow in September. Maybe Ghent after that.

How has your summer been?
    I am extremely serious.
  10. Doing work from home, the summer holidays is defined by when everyone else is off school/college.

We've recently returned from 4 nights in Norfolk (SE England). It's a part of the world I've not been to before and I was curious to see what it was like (it's very flat), but the main reason for going was because of the various nature reserves that are about, particularly places for seeing new birds that are rare in North Wales.

It was really a birthday treat for me (being 50 in a week or two) so it was more expensive than we would normally do. We asked the couple who run a business bird guiding in North Wales to organise a 4-night guided tour of Norfolk. They organised everything - accommodation, travel, entry to reserves and they set up an itinerary for the trip.

It was great! Just relaxing for 5 days with no driving and no thoughts of organising things. The weather was brilliant and it was nice to see a new part of the UK. Some of the days were a bit gruelling: on 3 days I decided to go out "pre-breakfast birding" which meant up at 5am and out to local bird reserves for 6am and back for breakfast at 8.30am...and then the day would begin! On one day I did this we were still out after 9.30pm looking for Nightjars!

I won't go on about it here but if anyone is at all interested (and who is not fed up being bombarded with info and photos on Facebook or Twitter), Anne has written a blog about the trip:

Birding In Norfolk
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    No Skye for you this year Alan?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014
    Sounds nice, Alan. I'm not really into bird-watching, but the scenery and general area sound great.
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Bregt wrote
    No Skye for you this year Alan?

No, it was an either/or choice this year. With it being a guided holiday these 5 days probably cost us the same as 2 weeks self-catering on Skye. I am missing not being there though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015
    Is it just me, or is internet activity (forums, social media etc.) extremely slow these days? I've been away for a couple of weeks myself -- without much internet connection -- and it didn't take me long to update myself once I came back two days ago.

This must mean everyone is having some sort of summer holiday. What is everyone doing/planning?
    I am extremely serious.