• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016
    I've just returned from the island of Paros where I spent the past 6 days. I had a blast even though I had a health issue most of the days but I didn't let it get me down. I'm currently unloading my suitcase and listening to songs to remain in the summery mood! I have to admit that even though I love autumn and have big things coming my way this coming one, I'd love to keep my summer tan! Godess Stavi
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Summer break is over. We did preparations at school yesterday and today. When the kids return tomorrow, all will be ready.

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2016
    Summer holiday is definitely over, yes, but as Bregt said above (well, on the last page), I'll be having 2 1/2 days at our summer house in Denmark this coming weekend, with two of my friends, plus Bregt and his girlfriend.

Like Stavi above (hope you get better soon!), I've had some health issues these last couple of days (my pancreas is acting up again!), but hopefully it will be manageable before departure on Thursday.

I'm sure both Bregt and I will report back when we return.

For me, one of the most crucial things in life is to book or plan another trip or something else to look forward to once the dreary everyday life begins. One should always have one such thing.
    I am extremely serious.
  2. My ischiatic nerve is giving me hell currently and makes my legs hurt. I'm living on ibuprofen right now.

Who else wonna complain?

smile Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016 edited
    So we came back from our brief holiday yesterday -- my family's summer house at the island of Fur in Denmark. With our very own God and Moderator as one of the guests.

Brief synopsis:

Arrived Thursday evening, just in time for sunsets, barbecue, a short walking tour and a nice (not too late!) evening of drinks. Bregt and Kaat had already been on the island for 3 hours before I arrived with my two friends, having driven all the way up from Belgium.

On Friday was the long bicycling trip. Bregt, Kaat and me. Cycled all around the island (almost 30 km) through various forms of landscape -- moors, fields, cliffs etc. And lots of off-road "shrubbery" which donated ticks to both me and Kaat -- removed with surgical precision later. Investigated the special geology of the Northern coast, with various ash layers embedded in the cliffsides.

Pitstop at a camping with three delicious sandwiches, a big beer and a schnaps. Then on through a forest area to the local brewery for some sampling, and then onwards on bike for the last leg along the beach.

Back home, we prepared wonderful pizzas for dinner, and then the "party evening" began -- loads of wine, beer (both local and Belgian types that Bregt had brought) and licor to the wee hours of the morning. Also included film music quizzes, obscure Flemish children's games ("Schipper mag ik overvaren...") and dancing. At 4:30, Bregt and I had a night swim -- a fantastic experience with phosphorescence in the sea and a dark heaven full of bright stars above. Only downside is that both he and I cut ourselves (somehow), which we realized when we saw our bloody legs back home.

On Saturday, we got up very late for obvious reasons (I had to be awoken at 13:00), but we still had time for some stuff. After breakfast and a few hours of recuperation -- I had another swim -- we drove to the local pancake house with a spectacular view and a museum for "men". Then to another panorama point and a photo shoot with some hey balls(!). Off to play an 18-hole minigolf session for a few hours (I had a hole in one!) before we went off to see one of the best sunsets I've seen on Fur. Back to the house for another barbecue, and then a very calm evening due to an early departure the next day.

All in all, I think this was one of the better Fur trips I've had with buddies, and I hope Bregt was equally happy. Too short, yes, but we managed to jam a lot in there. I didn't take any pictures, but hopefully Bregt will put some out there soon.

Now to book something else to look forward to! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016
    Wow! Sounds like a brilliant weekend.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016
    I dunno...I feel exhausted just READING about it!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Thor wrote
    Arrived Thursday evening, just in time for sunsets,

Wow... how many have you got?!

Seriously though, sounds like a wonderful weekend. Except for all the drinking. biggrin
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016
    It was a fantastic weekend fur sure! I cannot add much more to what Thor already said, and can only wish it was a day or so longer. It's a I took part in the beer drinking (not the wiskey, that was for the others), quizzing, discussing differences and common ideas, music and movies, ... The night swimming was amazing, also because I've rarely seen so many stars!

Fur itself was a secluded place in an already not so busy region of Denmark. Beautiful landscapes, quite varied as well, on such a small surface. I loved the sunsets and colours around, the moors part, and defenitely some of the beers of the local brewery. wink

Kaat and I made a small road trip for this weekend because the island is quite up North in Denmark. We spent a night at Enschede where Kaat's sister lives for a year, and in the return trip we had a sleepover in Antwerp to split up the long drive.

Thanks a lot Thor!!!
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016
    It was a pleasure, Bregt!

Next time, you'll visit our very own island in Norway. wink
    I am extremely serious.
  4. Back from a 7 day theme park trip in America. We decided after many years of visiting Disney Paris to explore and conquer the one and only Magic Kingdom of Orlando (including Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom and Epcot) whilst taking the Orlando Universal Studios and Island of Adventure with it on our adventure.

No time for sightseeing on this trip, it was all about the attractions, shows and magic of the theme parks. Quite exhaustive but definitely worth it for us. The weather was a bit lesser (during several days we had just about 14 degrees and rain) while the week before and after it was all sunshine and 25 degrees. Still we did so much, experienced so much, ate so much and spend tongue so much it was worth it.

I don't know how many people like theme parks here, but for us this was a blast. Epoct (with the glorious attraction Soarin' (music by Jerry Goldsmith), Hollywood Studious with the Star Wars mania, and Universal Studios with my kick ass attractions Transformers 4D and Harry Potter, in the wonderful and busy Diagon alley. It was a blast. Quite strange to discover the day before I visited the wand shop of Olivander I discovered John Hurt had passed away sad

Still recovering a little bit from the jetlag, and lots of photo's to come on facebook soon. It will be a trip I will remember for the rest of my days.

PS, the citizens of Orlando were so warm and friendly, it was amazing how kind they treated us. wave
    Ps ps, I still do not understand the way they add tax and service in their bills. spin
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2017
    Sounds a blast!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  5. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Ps ps, I still do not understand the way they add tax and service in their bills. spin

yeah

I swear that has something to do with why taxes are so reviled in the States. Having to constantly do mental math to add it to your bill keeps the whole concept at the forefront of your mind as an annoyance and money drain.

In any case, that sounds like a fantastic - if no doubt rather expensive - trip!
  6. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote

yeah

I swear that has something to do with why taxes are so reviled in the States. Having to constantly do mental math to add it to your bill keeps the whole concept at the forefront of your mind as an annoyance and money drain.

In any case, that sounds like a fantastic - if no doubt rather expensive - trip!

expensive it was, not for every year. But worth it nonetheless smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2018
    Martijn wrote
    A nice bit to discover is the area below the Hooglandse Kerk: loads of little antique shops, galleries and design stores:

I’ve been spending some time in antique shops recently. I’ve seen some REALLY NICE JUGS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2021
    I returned from my summer holiday two weeks ago.

Spent 3 weeks in the South. First week at my parent's new apartment (they've moved into an apartment from an old 19th century house). Then a week at our island. Then another week at the apartment. A bit too close to one's parents when you're 43 years old, but we managed to get through it (thankfully, they were not at the island, only extended family was). That's about as much holiday as I could get this year. I received my second vaccine shot yesterday, so now I'm able to travel abroad a bit more, but we'll see if I can manage this fall.

How's everyone else's summer holiday been?
    I am extremely serious.
  7. We took a drive from our home in Utah to the Oregon coast. It was about 750 miles/1200 kms one way. We split the drive up and did it in two days for the sake of three-year old. We went to visit my wife's biological mother. My wife, Krista, was adopted as an infant and only met her biological mom for the first time in December. So we went out to spend a week with her and her fiance. She never had any other children after Krista and never got married until now, so she went from knowing she had a daughter out there somewhere to suddenly finding out she was a grandmother of four! It was a really great trip, despite the length of the drive. We'll be heading back in September for the wedding, but we'll be flying this time smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021 edited
    Nice story, christopher! I'm a sucker for those TV programs that reunite people with their long-lost biological parents.
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Still looking forward to 2 weeks off later in August. We probably won't go anywhere - all the restrictions and uncertainties are something that would affect the enjoyment of any holiday away.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  9. Thor wrote
    Nice story, christopher! I'm a sucker for those TV programs that reunite people with their long-lost biological parents.

Have you seen Relative Race? That's the show that inspired Krista to find her birth mother in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2021
    I haven't, no. We have limited access to US shows like that over here. But thanks for the tip!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2022 edited
    So, what are everyone's plans this summer?

I'm in Oslo for another two weeks, trying to get back on track after the massive water leak in late May.

Then it's off to the south of Norway, for a week-long stay at our island in the southern archipelago, along with many members of my extended family. After that, it's off to Denmark, to our summer house there (where I will either stay until August 10 or September 4, depending on circumstances). Two weeks with my parents first (oh, the humanity!), and then MAYBE 3 weeks alone.

It's been a while since I had a proper holiday abroad (not counting Denmark or work-related trips). Years, even. Partly due to the pandemic, partly due to financial circumstances. It's something I would like to do again soon, before I'm on the dole again. Maybe this autumn, let's see. As I've told Thomas, Ghent is high on my list (although the workload in researching the Korean composers needs to be fit in there....I know some of their work, but not a lot of it).
    I am extremely serious.
  10. So far no plans, except playing padel on a weekly basis. My vacation is mid september to begin october, but so far it's not that I have plans. I'm alone and can always adapt when things change, or opportunities arise.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2022
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    So far no plans, except playing padel on a weekly basis. My vacation is mid september to begin october, but so far it's not that I have plans. I'm alone and can always adapt when things change, or opportunities arise.

What's 'padel'? Canoeing?
    I am extremely serious.
  11. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    So far no plans, except playing padel on a weekly basis. My vacation is mid september to begin october, but so far it's not that I have plans. I'm alone and can always adapt when things change, or opportunities arise.

What's 'padel'? Canoeing?

Nope, the new hype wink

Padel
    Padel
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2022
    Ah! Never heard of it before. It's like tennis, badminton and squash all combined into one. Looks tiresome. smile
    I am extremely serious.
  12. Thor wrote
    Ah! Never heard of it before. It's like tennis, badminton and squash all combined into one. Looks tiresome. smile

Tennis on a Squash terrain, I actually like it a lot, in this good weather a perfect way to lose a couple of hours (playing and drinking afterwards) ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2022
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

Tennis on a Squash terrain, I actually like it a lot, in this good weather a perfect way to lose a couple of hours (playing and drinking afterwards) ;-)

I'm game for the last part.
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Thor wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Thor wrote

I'm game for the last part.

you don't say :p
  14. How is everyone enjoying the summer?

I have to admit, barely listened to music lately. Incredibly falling behind in my Spotify library but I don't mind. I'm enjoying myself playing sports, going to summer bars and just went on a week's vacation visiting one of the best European theme parks (Europa Park)

So, I'm enjoying the time off here

How is everyone else doing?