• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Noticed that Bear McCreary has released a new score: The World of Steam: The Clockwork Heart.

I was going to moan that this 12-minute single track costs £7.50 on Amazon compared with Alexandre Desplat's one-track Venus In Fur which runs to 37 minutes and costs only £5.50 (or £3.50 on Google Play).

But then I noticed that on Google Play The World of Steam: The Clockwork Heart costs only £1.00!!

It pays to shop around.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2013 edited
    Captain Future wrote
    I have a complete collection of McCreary's (and Gibb's) BSG material. I'd like to create a playlist for my mp3 player. I wonder if anyone out there has done that before?
    Alterntively I ponder simply using the score from "Daybreak" (CD 4/2) as I consider this the crown jewel of that musical journey.

Volker

It´s really hard to put a "best of" together. Whenever I try that, it is heavily influenced by the mood I´m in, since there are so many great tracks to choose from, especially if you include the Caprica scores and the stuff from the TV movies. Usually I tend to give up towards the end and just include everything. ^^

But you´re right, Daybreak is a great thing to play if you want a short, representative list.

EDIT:
    I just remembered that I put a playlist for seasons 1 & 2 together a couple of years ago; maybe it´s a start.

01. Main Title
    02. Reunited from the pilot

03. Main Title
    04. Two Funerals
    05. Forgiven
    06. Helo Rescued
    07. Boomer Flees
    08. A Good Lighter
    09. Battle on the Asteroid
    10. Wander My Friends
    11. Passacaglia
    12. Kobol’s Last Gleaming
    13. The Shape of Things to Come
    14. Bloodshed from Season One

15. Metamorphosis Five (Philip Glass) if available
    16. Martial Law
    17. Allegro
    18. Reuniting the Fleet
    19. Prelude to War
    20. Roslin and Adama
    21. Epiphanies
    22. Roslin Confesses
    23. One Year Later
    24. Colonial Anthem from Season Two
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2014
  2. Bear's forwarding of your review should guarantee more than 500 views in a day!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Nobody ever forwards anything from my Celluloid Tunes!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bear's forwarding of your review should guarantee more than 500 views in a day!

It did!

When I can be bothered to spam my reviews over the forums, these are approximate clicks from the three sites I spam:

Maintitles - 3
    Filmtracks - 150
    Film Score Monthly - 200

(Not joking.)
  3. It's entirely possible that a lot of the Maintitles crowd (moreso than Filmtracks or FSM) checks your site on a daily basis and therefore has no need to click the links? I know that's the case for me...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2014
    I generally see it pop up on Facebook first.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I click your links on the forum whenever it's something I'm even vaguely interested in, so I guess I'm one of the 3 cool
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    (I wasn't complaining, by the way - just got worried it may have come across that way.)
  4. Thor wrote
    Nobody ever forwards anything from my Celluloid Tunes!

WAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Well, we looked at it for 30 minutes, then decided that was good enough.
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
  5. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It did!

When I can be bothered to spam my reviews over the forums, these are approximate clicks from the three sites I spam:

Maintitles - 3
    Filmtracks - 150
    Film Score Monthly - 200

(Not joking.)

We're a bunch of egocentric misanthropes, aren't we? wink
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  6. FalkirkBairn wrote

Actually, it was my forwarding it to Bear, who then posted it which lead to this outcome.

You're welcome, BTW wink.
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Captain Future wrote
    Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It did!

Maintitles - 3
    Filmtracks - 150
    Film Score Monthly - 200

(Not joking.)

We're a bunch of egocentric misanthropes, aren't we? wink

I suspect it's only me, but I don't think I'm particularly misanthropic. There are certainly three forum members I like almost as much as I like myself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Actually, it was my forwarding it to Bear, who then posted it which lead to this outcome.

Ah, thanks!

You're welcome, BTW wink.
  7. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

It did!

Maintitles - 3
    Filmtracks - 150
    Film Score Monthly - 200

(Not joking.)

I know I for one type in the URL from memory, because that's how much I value it. biggrin
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Southall wrote
    (I wasn't complaining, by the way - just got worried it may have come across that way.)
  8. It didn't. And my remark was meant ironic. I hope it came across that way. smile
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  9. Southall wrote
    Southall wrote

Well I was. When are you going to appreciate your readership! wink
  10. Well, I am a subscriber, actually smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 5th 2014
    If you don't like heavily distorted electric guitars in a mix of slightly eccentric and a bit all over the place - pieces combined with LOADS of bagpipes, you're gonna have a bad time with this new score https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-k12MVNcvw
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  11. Demetris wrote
    If you don't like heavily distorted electric guitars in a mix of slightly eccentric and a bit all over the place - pieces combined with LOADS of bagpipes, you're gonna have a bad time with this new score https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-k12MVNcvw

Sounds like he uses Irish Uilleann Pipes rather than the Scottish Highland bagpipes. Maybe that's just a step too far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2014
    Da Vinci's Demons Season 2 soundtrack has been out for a bit now. It's very good. I need to listen again before I talk about favorites, but I enjoyed The Undiscovered Land, Bold and Fearless and The Fuse a lot. I think one of Bear's greatest strengths is his willingness and ability to take his initial ideas and push them further. Just look at Battlestar Galactica Season 1 VS. the last season, for example. He does that well with this score too.
  12. How does it compare to BSG? I've found a lot of Bear's other stuff hasn't come near the melodic strength of BSG, but I'd always be willing to try him out again if I hear he was back in that mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFeliz
    • CommentTimeJul 2nd 2014
    Well there's nothing as melodically dense as The Shape of Things to Come / Prelude to War / Violence and Variations, but those are kind of melodic perfection so... :P

I think they're hard to compare, but it's more ambling. There is a very strong melodic theme in the 1st season of Da Vinci's Demons (best heard in The Glider / Visions and Demons) that is just about BSG-levels of enjoyable, to my ears, anyway. And it's all over the second score with a grander pallet. The Fuse is also very strong. If you like those check it all out.
  13. Cheers
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2014
    I like this...

CONSTANTINE

A great comic series. I hope this show is good and gives it respect.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  14. A brief review of McCreary's AGENTS OF SHIELD.
    www.synchrotones.wordpress.com | www.synchrotones.co.uk | @Synchrotones | facebook | soundcloud | youtube