• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010
    Depends on how racist you are.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Very. I especially hate those limey, tea-drinking bastards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    TEA-DRINKING?! MY God, this is [b]disgusting[/b]!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    Very. I especially hate those limey, tea-drinking bastards.

Shut it you Pommie bastard!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Christodoulides wrote
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    jeezus, Bear McCreary is hot, this guy gets all his music released punk

I can see how the first part of this sentence can get tremendously misinterpreted wink

everything I say gets misinterpreted here on this forum cool
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. Listening to McCreary's DarkVoid score at the moment. Percussive heaven!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Listening to McCreary's DarkVoid score at the moment. Percussive heaven!

As his BSG scores. You can say he's a man who loves his percussion wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Can you tell me a bit more about the score? Is it basically just an extension of the Battlestar "sound", or is it different enough to be more than that?

My only other concern from the clips is that the only significant thematic material I hear is the main theme and its variations. Is this a primarily mono-thematic score?

Either way, it sounds like there's some fantastic material here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    simplyjosh wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Can you tell me a bit more about the score? Is it basically just an extension of the Battlestar "sound", or is it different enough to be more than that?

My only other concern from the clips is that the only significant thematic material I hear is the main theme and its variations. Is this a primarily mono-thematic score?

To my ears yes to both questions: there's a lot of Galactica there and it's pretty monothematic.
    It is however more overtly, "martially" even, percussive than anything in Galactica.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. You got there before me, Martijn.

I've only listened to it once, and even then not in too much detail. I like it because it's, as you say, an extension of the BSG "sound" (more of what I like is okay by me!)
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsimplyjosh
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2010 edited
    I guess the more important question regarding thematic material is whether or not McCreary varies this material enough for the listener not to be bothered by it. It's been a few weeks since my last listen to the "Caprica" score (which I very much enjoyed, by the way), but that was the only thing (in my opinion) that held it back: over-reliance on a limited range of themes, with too little variety in their use.

I have a feeling I'll probably want to buy this one either way. McCreary interests me in a way that few composers do at present.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010
    Faithful fans obviously already pre-ordered a signed copy of Dark Void and Battlestar Galactica: The Plan / Razor at DarkDel.com, but now Bear has put up some samples for the latter on his blog.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=3732#more-3732
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010 edited
    THE PLAN / RAZOR

CD COVER

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_EuFQwtxwhtw/S … 0/bear.jpg

Amazon has this info on the CD release of the score:
    Product Details
    * Audio CD (February 23, 2010)
    * Original Release Date: 2010
    * Number of Discs: 1
    * Format: Soundtrack
    * Label: La-La Land Records

Track Listings
    1. Apocalypse (Theme from The Plan) - From The Plan (4:06) Featuring Raya Yarbrough, vocals
    2. Razor Main Title - From Razor (2:13)
    3. Arriving at Pegasus - From Razor (2:27)
    4. The Plan Main Title - From The Plan (4:33)
    5. Attack on the Scorpion Shipyards - From Razor (3:37)
    6. Apocalypse, Pt. I - From The Plan (6:36)
    7. Apocalypse, Pt. II - From The Plan (2:35)
    8. Pegasus Aftermath - From Razor (4:09)
    9. Kendra's Memories - From Razor (2:43)
    10. Mayhem on the Colonies - From The Plan (3:28)
    11. Civilian Standoff on the Scylla - From Razor (2:56)
    12. Husker in Combat - From Razor (1:54) Contains Theme from Battlestar Galactica by Stu Phillips and Glen A. Larson
    13. Major Kendra Shaw - From Razor (5:03)
    14. Cavil Kills and Cavil Spares - From The Plan (2:12) Featuring Raya Yarbrough, vocals
    15. The Hybrid Awaits - From Razor (2:43)
    16. Kendra and the Hybrid - From Razor (6:06)
    17. Princes of the Universe - From The Plan (3:56)
    18. Starbuck's Destiny - From Razor (0:39)
    19. Apocalypse (Theme from The Plan / bonus Live Version) (6:24) Performed by The Battlestar Galactica Orchestra

Product Description
    Bear McCreary's Battlestar Galactica music lives on with this all-new, premiere release of his exceptional scores to the Galactica feature-length TV events The Plan and Razor. Both of these television films, based on the hit series, play a crucial role in fleshing out the key backstory in this now-classic, dramatic sci-fi saga. Composer Bear McCreary relishes the creative challenges both films present, expanding his riveting Galactica musical arsenal in new and exciting directions. This special soundtrack presentation features the scores to 2009's sensational The Plan, directed by Edward James Olmos, and 2007's acclaimed Razor, both of which are available now on DVD in stores everywhere. The Plan airs on SyFy Channel in January 2010.

Click HERE to be redirected at amazon's page for the CD.

Click HERE for more info on the series: http://scoremagacine.blogspot.com/2010/ … ca-cd.html

-----

I can't recommend this release enough, especially the theme turned into song, which appears in its orchestral form in 6. Apocalypse, Pt. I - From The Plan and as a great song, in 1. Apocalypse (Theme from The Plan) - From The Plan (4:06) Featuring Raya Yarbrough, vocals. I am not too sure what time will say on this one, but up to now it's my favorite, most upbeat and modern BSG release from Bear McCreary; altogether with the previous 4 releases, he made a very impressive musical universe of the series.

Any other views on this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2010
    I've got seasons 2, 3 and 4 (as well as Caprica), but for me none of the music from 3 or 4 ever topped "Allegro" and "Prelude to War", so I'm holding off a bit on this one. How would you say it compares to the season 4 release?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    It's kind more modern, energetic and upbeat, it has rock elements in places, it really is a great treat. The previous season was on the more epic, melodic and on the kinda restrained side of things.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfommes
    Thanks! I'm sure I'll pick it up eventually.
  4. Hi,

Just thought I'd post the link to a talk Bear McCreary gave (with Raya Yarbrough at his side). It's a google talk. You can find it at the following youtube link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LQinFAQN4

But you can also find the video at Bear's blog where he also included some pictures of the event. http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4088

It's a long video, but I enjoyed it very much. He addresses how he got the Battlestar galactica gig, his first job for Elmer Bernstein etc... it's funny at times, serious other moments...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Wow! That's a great new talk by McCreary. Very informative!
    Thanks for the link!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2010
    Thank you!
  5. Atham wrote
    Wow! That's a great new talk by McCreary. Very informative!
    Thanks for the link!

Christodoulides wrote
    Thank you!

You're welcome, guys.

I'm an avid Bear McCreary blog reader. Do you want me to update this forum regularly when goodies like this pop up?

Elin
  6. Skating_Lientje wrote
    I'm an avid Bear McCreary blog reader. Do you want me to update this forum regularly when goodies like this pop up?

Of course!!
  7. FalkirkBairn wrote
    Skating_Lientje wrote

Of course!!

Will do then wave

Elin
  8. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Hi,

Just thought I'd post the link to a talk Bear McCreary gave (with Raya Yarbrough at his side). It's a google talk. You can find it at the following youtube link.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2LQinFAQN4

But you can also find the video at Bear's blog where he also included some pictures of the event. http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4088

It's a long video, but I enjoyed it very much. He addresses how he got the Battlestar galactica gig, his first job for Elmer Bernstein etc... it's funny at times, serious other moments...

Elin

I'll try to check this one out in the next couple of days Elin, but thanks for the link
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  9. Just watched it... a lenghty but superb watch, worth every minute. I learned a thing or two about Bear's passion, talent and inspired persona.

But I wanted to know something as it was hinted at during the video: is Miss Yarbrough his fiancée?

Thanks again Elin. cool
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  10. Dear DreamTheater,

DreamTheater wrote
    Just watched it... a lenghty but superb watch, worth every minute. I learned a thing or two about Bear's passion, talent and inspired persona.

Yeah, I just love how very approachable he is. the way he talks like that, he's exactly the same when you talk one on one with him.

DreamTheater wrote
    But I wanted to know something as it was hinted at during the video: is Miss Yarbrough his fiancée?

Yeah, she is. Bear always said there were 2 things he wanted to do before turning 30: finishing his last cue of Battlestar Galactica music and asking his longtime girlfriend Raya to marry him. He succeeded with a day to spare, if I'm not mistaken. Anyway, if you're interested you can read about it on his blog. Below is the link to that specific entry.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1536

Funny little thing is that he also changed an answer in the FAQ question section. The questions was 'Will you marry me?'. Up until that day the answer was something like: 'Please send a picture and we will see how it goes from there'. After he popped the question the answer was changed into 'I'm sorry. That position has already been taken."

I just love this guy's sense of humor.

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    He's extremely likable that's for sure!

And his music?

Fantastic! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2010
    ^ Atham, i completely agree. Thanks for sharing the interesting points / links / resume from his blog...i'd love to read them too, at least most of them if i had the time, but frankly i prefer listening to his music instead and just reading the highlights you post here beer
  11. Christodoulides wrote
    ^ Atham, i completely agree. Thanks for sharing the interesting points / links / resume from his blog...i'd love to read them too, at least most of them if i had the time, but frankly i prefer listening to his music instead and just reading the highlights you post here beer

That sounds like a plan. spin

I'll keep you guys updated. I enjoy spreading the 'love' as much as listening to his music.

Elin
  12. Hi,

Bear just posted a bunch of entries on his blog, but this one reply to a remark of a fan just made me smile, and I wanted to share it with you.

Bear McCreary wrote
    Captainvideo wrote
    “Bear, I have no idea if composers like being compared to other composers. I would guess not.”

You’re right, those comparisons can sometimes be annoying, but its usually the only way people relate to musicians. But, yes, this has occurred to me many times, that my work is frequently compared to that of people with decades of experience more than me, and most of the time, ten times more budget per minute than I have to work with.

A funny story on this topic. When my brother and I were both in college, there was a family friend who knew absolutely nothing about music. Her family was into sports, at the exclusion of almost everything else. At the dinner table, they would talk about college soccer: who was playing for what school, who was going pro, etc. My brother and I, knowing nothing about this subject, would just sit and listen.

Finally, the conversation shifted to music. She asked what Brendan and I do, and we said we’re both musicians. As Captainvideo pointed out, sometimes people compare you to the only musicians in their lexicon. (Its why so many people often say “You’re gonna be the next John Williams!” because he’s the only film composer they’ve ever heard of. It’s their way of validating you.)

She looks us both square in the eyes and says “Oh, you’re musicians? Do you guys have a boy band? Like Hanson?”

It was all we could do to not burst into laughter right there. “Something like that,” I told her.

-Bear

biggrin I'm trying to imagine Bear and Brendan as the Hanson brothers biggrin

Elin
  13. Yeah, where are they now the Hansons? Bear's fame is only growing! Cool anecdote! biggrin
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.