• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010 edited
    DreamTheater wrote
    Yeah, where are they now the Hansons?

Mmm-bopped their way into well-deserved oblivion.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. Important message to all American and Canadian Bear McCreary fans on this board.

You have a chance to win an all-expenses-paid trip to hang out with Bear during his final SOCOM 4 recording session.

More information can be found on his blog: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=4304#more-4304

Or you can go directly to the competition page here: http://io9.com/5549205/win-a-chance-to- … soundtrack

However, you have to be quick about it, you only have a couple of hours left to participate.

Damn, how I wish I was American or Candian right now...

Elin
    Recognizing somebody else's strength doesn't diminish your own (Joss Whedon)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2010
    Elin, did you already hear about the Battlestar concert at the film music festival in Tenerife?
    http://www.maintitles.net/forum/discuss … l/#Item_18
    Kazoo
  2. Hi,

As I already replied in the lother thread, I wasn't aware of it, and as there is no official paper trail of this concert actually taking place, I asked Bear about it on his blog. So far no answer yet.

In the mean time, I did find a little interview with Bear McCreary on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZW_4rm104

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    THAT'S GAIUS BALTAR! shocked
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2010
    Don't be silly. THIS is Baltar.
    The one and only.

Sorry. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Hi,

As I already replied in the lother thread, I wasn't aware of it, and as there is no official paper trail of this concert actually taking place, I asked Bear about it on his blog. So far no answer yet.

In the mean time, I did find a little interview with Bear McCreary on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9ZW_4rm104

Elin

Can someone with Superman-vision say if there are any scores in that rack behind Bear? smile
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Steven wrote
    THAT'S GAIUS BALTAR! shocked

Want to see both of them together? Here's a little part from the parody "making of" the music of BSG. it has Bear and James Callis in it. Cracks me up every time when Callis starts singing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTRVs1qYXc8

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010 edited
    FIMUCITÉ 4

Presents The International Premiere of

Bear McCreary

THE BATTLESTAR GALACTICA SYMPHONY

In The Auditorium of Tenerife

The Fourth Edition of the Tenerife International Film Music Festival,
    FIMUCITÉ, will present the world premiere of Bear McCreary’s The Battlestar
    Galactica Symphony on Friday, July 9, 2010. Conducted by renowned composer
    Bear McCreary, The Battlestar Galactica Symphony will be performed by the
    Battlestar Galactica Orchestra together with the Symphonic Orchestra of
    Tenerife and the Tenerife Film Choir in the Tenerife Auditorium. The
    program will include excerpts from the entire four season run of the series.

At the age of 24, Bear McCreary was launched into pop culture with his score
    to the SyFy channel hit, Battlestar Galactica, which features ‘the most
    innovative music on TV today’ (Variety). Four seasons and seventy-five
    episodes later, Battlestar Galactica is universally revered, having won the
    prestigious Peabody Award and special recognition from the United Nations.

His Battlestar Galactica score has been described as "sharp and sensitive"
    (The Wall Street Journal), "a key element in establishing the show's dark,
    complex tone," (The Hollywood Reporter) and "rich, raw, oddly stirring...
    kick-ass and powerful as hell" (E! Online). It "fits the action so
    perfectly, it's almost devastating: a sci-fi score like no other," (NPR).
    Seasons One, Two, Three and Four of his best-selling Battlestar Galactica
    soundtrack albums have rocketed up the Amazon.com Top Music Sales Charts,
    reaching the #1 sales spot in both television and movie soundtrack lists.
    The most recent album, Season 4, cracked into Amazon.com's Top 5 Music Sales
    and charted in the Billboard Top 150.

Under the direction of composer and conductor Bear McCreary, The Battlestar
    Galactica Orchestra features Raya Yarbrough (vocals), Brendan McCreary
    (vocals and guitars), Steve Bartek (guitars), Paul Cartwright (electric
    violin), Chris Bleth (ethnic woodwinds), M.B. Gordy (percussion). This
    unique combination of the symphonic, ethnic, rock and percussive realms will
    make this concert the most complete live performance of McCreary’s visionary
    Battlestar Galactica score ever.

FIMUCITÉ 4 occurs from July 5-10 in the Canary Islands town of Tenerife, and
    is sponsored by the Cabildo Insular de Tenerife, Canary Islands Government
    and Santa Cruz de Tenerife and La Laguna City Councils.

FIMUCITÉ 4 presents the International Premiere of Bear McCreary The
    Battlestar Galactica Symphony on July 9, 2010, at 9PM, at the Auditorium of
    Tenerife.

###

For information about FIMUCITÉ 4 and instructions how to purchase tickets
    visit www.fimucite.com
    Kazoo
  5. Bear has FINALLY received his first Emmy nomination (for his Title track foe 'Human Target').

Read about it here on his blog: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=438 … mment-8444

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2010
    Skating_Lientje wrote
    Bear has FINALLY received his first Emmy nomination

He must be very happy then tongue
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 13th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote
    He must be very happy then tongue

Off the charts!
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2010
    Bear will release his score to Human Target in a 2cd version on-line, and an expanded 3cd version via La-La Land Records.
  6. Talk about a case of bad timing.

Bear has just found out the Emmy category he is nominated for is going to be handed out at the exact same time and day as his wedding.

This is so not going to work out.

Hope he still wins though.

Elin
  7. Apparantly, at ComicCon it was announced by Frank Darabont (Director of The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) that Bear McCreary will be scoring his new zombie tv series 'The Walking Dead', which will be airing in October on AMC (which is known for its quality programming such as 'Mad Men')

Bear is pretty psyched about it.

This is definitely a show I'll follow (if only for the music because I'm not that into the zombie genre, but you never know).

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010
    Do you... also... like... other... composers?
  8. Steven wrote
    Do you... also... like... other... composers?

Yes, I actually do. But you can't blame a girl who just went to one of his concerts which was just spectacular, spent the better part of the past week decifering the sheet music she received from his brother and Chris Bleth after the concert and e-mailing with him about how to play certain cords, to be a little bit pre-occupied with Bear McCreary for now.

But really, I am looking forward to the World Soundtrack Awards 10 year anniversry concert so I can hear people like Howard Shore, Elliot Goldenthal, Gabriel Yared, Angelo Badalamenti and Bruno Coulais all in one go.

If only they would have thrown Zimmer, Horner, Clint Mansell, Nick-Glennie-Smith and Michael Nyman in there as well wink

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    Okay...
  9. I don't blame Elin, Steven. I have something similar smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  10. PawelStroinski wrote
    I don't blame Elin, Steven. I have something similar smile

Thanks Pawel. Feel great to know you can sympathize.
    BTW, I had a look at your profile and 'The Rock' was also one of my first soundtrack crushes, back in the day...

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    grou......
  11. Skating_Lientje wrote
    Apparantly, at ComicCon it was announced by Frank Darabont (Director of The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) that Bear McCreary will be scoring his new zombie tv series 'The Walking Dead', which will be airing in October on AMC (which is known for its quality programming such as 'Mad Men')

Bear is pretty psyched about it.

This is definitely a show I'll follow (if only for the music because I'm not that into the zombie genre, but you never know).

Elin

ow cool, I love zombie films, and I think this is a series I'll follow too. Having a good composer like McCreary on it just expands my interest in the series smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited
    The Walking Dead??? After Kirkman's landmark comics series?
    They're making a series out of dead? (heh biggrin )

Excellent!
    It's one of the finest comics series to date.
    Not default zombie fare per se at all, but far more a studies into Man in apocalyptic circumstances. It's very clear Kirkman has taken a huge leaf out of Romero's visionary Dawn Of The Dead, and updated it for a new millennium. It's a pretty harrowing epic/journey tale that rather more focuses on man's ingenuity in all things -good and evil- than on the living dead. It's a tale of such desperate hopelessness that at one crucial point the protagonist cries out "don't you see? It's us! WE are the living dead!".

Very much recommended to those with a taste for the more adult graphic novel with a sociological edge (there are whole issues where nothing happens but people talking...and it's spellbinding!).

Looking forward to the series immensely, and if Bear did what he did so far -especially referring to his fantastic work on Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles (which I actually prefer over his Galactica work) and Dark Void-, this should fit like a glove!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    Now YOU, Martijn, have sold me! beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    biggrin

Thought that might appeal to you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Ah dammit. He got sacked for season 2 of Human Target. Hmm, budget cuts, what to drop... music! It's a shame that the new management team is taking a whole new direction, because music was one of the key roles in the first season.
  12. Rian wrote
    Ah dammit. He got sacked for season 2 of Human Target. Hmm, budget cuts, what to drop... music! It's a shame that the new management team is taking a whole new direction, because music was one of the key roles in the first season.

I think it is the stupidist decision the newly appointed managment could make: firing the guy who got you the only Emmy nomination the series received.

But then again if Fox is dropping Human Target in the Friday night death slot, it might not be that bad to drop out of it at the same time as the managment that made it good.

It still sucks for Bear, though.

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    Any samples available from his newer works in general?
  13. Christodoulides wrote
    Any samples available from his newer works in general?

Well, I guess Dark Void, Razor/The plan our the last CD's released. But you can find tons of soundbites on his blog (Human Target, Caprica, ...).

He just promised a tripple CD release of Human Target, although he didn't mention the release date. But it's definitely pending.
    Also in the pipeline is Caprica season 1 and a final Battlestar Galactica CD (with tidbits that didn't make it on the earlier releases).

Elin
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2010
    I thought his score for Battlestar Galactica Season 1 was great before I saw the show. I've had that CD for several years. Now I just saw the first season and think he's a genius. I can't wait to watch and hear the rest!
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!