• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. I've just received three "graphic novels" aka comics!

30 Days of Night
    30 Days of Night: Dark Days
    30 Days of Night: Return To Barrow

I've not seen the movie yet but I saw an article in the magazine DeathRay that featured photos from these graphic novels and I was blown away by the illustrations. Such a brilliant realisation of the story and I'm sure that the movie can't hope to capture the feel of these books.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    I thought the original 30 Days Of Night was a pretty dismal effort. The writing is fine, but the graphics are of that "look at me doing indy stuff" material that just...irks me.

Very disappointing.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    I was reading Eragon before the movie came out and thought it was a so-so written Star Wars rip-off. Then the movie came out and all that remained was a BAD Star wars rip-off. The second book started out much better, but I just couldn´t help it and had to give up after the first half when I realized it was an Empire-rip-off.

Started reading Lois McMaster Bujold´s Barrayar-Saga now. MUCH better. The first book featured some very nice surprises, but the second one is rather slow at the moment. Still, very entertaining. So much more adult and intelligent than Paolini can ever hope to become.
  2. Martijn wrote
    I thought the original 30 Days Of Night was a pretty dismal effort. The writing is fine, but the graphics are of that "look at me doing indy stuff" material that just...irks me.

Very disappointing.

Yes, but I said that it looked great first, so I'm right. Okay!

I like this new site! I feel so FREEEEE!!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very disappointing.

Is that pic in the top corner Joe 90?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBobdH
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've not seen the movie yet but I saw an article in the magazine DeathRay that featured photos from these graphic novels and I was blown away by the illustrations. Such a brilliant realisation of the story and I'm sure that the movie can't hope to capture the feel of these books.

I don't know about the graphic novel, but I was surprised to like the movie! So refreshing that it's not just mindless killing, but also a rather chilling cat-and-mouse movie about vampires! More 'Salem's Lot then, y'know, gorno.

My current reading is Dostojevski's Crime and Punishment, which I'm thoroughly enjoying. Think it's even better then Tolstoj's War and Peace, just because it's so much deeper. I love the philosophical and psychological aspects of it.
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    The Tommyknockers - Stephen King.

One of the few SK-novels from the 80's I haven't gotten round to reading before now. Perhaps because I used to read King in Danish translations, and The Tommyknockers has never been translated for some reson.

Anyway, now I started it, and so far I like it. I'm only about 150 pages in, so that might change, as it's a long book. Next up are Jack Finney's Invasion of the Body Snatchers and Heinlein's The Puppemasters.
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very disappointing.

You do realize that -rather to my own surprise- I'm a moderator here, don't you?

Recently read: Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman
    An amusing though not outstanding tale about the son of an old African mischievous spider God, who's only confronted with his heritage once his long-lost brother (but is it his brother?) is on the doorstep.
    It's an easy read, with all of Gaiman's stylistic and narrative quirks present, some fine dialogue and a plot that's satisfying enough, but if you have read his American Gods, which shares a lot of commonalities (Ancient Gods walking the Earh, trying to make sense of it all in this day and age) and enjoyed its rather more dark and harsh tone, Anansi Boys will feel a bit fluffier.

What I always enjoy is Gaiman's ability to completely nail a character. All throughout the book I was somehow seeing and hearing Lenny Henry as the protagonist. When I reached the acknowledgements (which funnily enough I almost never read, but did now) I found a special thanks to a mister "Leonard Henry who provided much inspiration and will be narrating the book in the audio novel version"! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthormarie-lise
    An amusing though not outstanding tale about the son of an old African mischievous spider God, who's only confronted with his heritage once his long-lost brother (but is it his brother?) is on the doorstep.
    It's an easy read, with all of Gaiman's stylistic and narrative quirks present, some fine dialogue and a plot that's satisfying enough, but if you have read his American Gods, which shares a lot of commonalities (Ancient Gods walking the Earh, trying to make sense of it all in this day and age) and enjoyed its rather more dark and harsh tone, Anansi Boys will feel a bit fluffier.

Ooh, I just finished Stardust (influenced by the movie, I admit) and was thinking of reading Anansi Boy or American Gods next.
    I'll go for the second one, then smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    They're both well written, and Anansi Boys is still a lot of fun (and like I said: there's some lovely dialogue in there)

I just thought American Gods was in some ways more clever, and in tone nearer to his Sandman writings (which at times were exceptionally moody).

Let us know how you liked American Gods when you're through! wave
  3. Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very disappointing.

It is from Joe 90. But it's actually Ian McClaine, Joe's adoptive father. But the picture is so small it is difficult to tell!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very disappointing.

You do realize that -rather to my own surprise- I'm a moderator here, don't you?

Oh, I didn't know that, Martijn!
    Well, congratulations! I am so happy for you!
    punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Thank you dear friend. That is most kind of you.
    (I have read your mind, Alan and adjusted your poorly worded post to reflect what you really wanted to say).
  4. Martijn wrote
    Thank you dear friend. That is most kind of you.
    (I have read your mind, Alan and adjusted your poorly worded post to reflect what you really wanted to say).

biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    wink

(For anyone who didn't get it: Alan initially posted the vomit emoticon. I then used my Dark Side powers to change his post to how it reads now.
    Just a joke though. I don't plan to make a habit out of that!
    ...except with people who really annoy me.
    Or when righteousness demands it.
    Or when the urge comes over me.
    Or the moon rises in sagitarius. )
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    biggrin

Haha i love those edits of yours! This kind of 'why thank you kind Martijn' ones ahahahha!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I think this forum would be a better place if ALL posts began like that.
    In fact, I see a wonderful and rewarding task in my immediate future.

Oh...what's that?
    A PM from Bregt?
    Let's see...

Abuse of WHAT?
    Revoke WHAT?
    CRIMINAL CHARGES?????
    SUMMARY EXECUTION??????

But...but...but... I am so INNOCENT! sad
    cow
  5. A "technical" question. Does this thread feature only novels? There is a classical sociological book I'm reading (and, as a sociology student I know said - "classic of the classics") now and will be happy to discuss/recommend it to many people, because the stuff is amazing and I merely read more than half of it yet...
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Not at all, Pawel: reading is reading.

But if you think it warrants a separate sociology thread though for more throrough discussion, by all means create one.

It's all good. smile
  6. I'm a literature student, not a sociologist though. After I read this book I might create a more general "humanist studies" topic, so we can discuss philosophy, literature and whatnot. Would be great to - sometimes I miss having such stuff in my life...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited
    Sweet; anyone want to talk Surround recording techniques for musical ensembles? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007
    PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm a literature student, not a sociologist though. After I read this book I might create a more general "humanist studies" topic, so we can discuss philosophy, literature and whatnot. Would be great to - sometimes I miss having such stuff in my life...

That sounds absolutely spiffing! Looking forward to that a lot, then!
    punk

Christodoulides wrote
    anyone want to talk Surround recording techniques on musical ensembles?

Eh... I'm all for them?
    Right. Subject sorted.
    Next.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That's my thesis smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    See? I just wrote your thesis for ya.

On Surround Recording Techniques For Musical Ensembles
    By Demetris Christodoulides

We're all for them.
    Thank you.

Certified A+, right there! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    hahahaha biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very disappointing.

It is from Joe 90. But it's actually Ian McClaine, Joe's adoptive father. But the picture is so small it is difficult to tell!
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Martijn wrote

Very disappointing.

Yep, I see that now smile
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Erving Goffman - The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life

Quite amazing sociological book and great classic. Apart from the other sociological treatise I read (Pierre Bourdieu's Reproduction: Elements of Theory of Education Systems) was at times hardly understandable... I don't know the English terms Goffman devised expect "encounter", what defines what he is most interested in. Everybody is an actor and plays a role and tries to define a situation.

It's not something terrifying, the roles we play are something the people we encounter (or interact with, that's how Goffman defines an encounter) can grasp. If we didn't play the roles, we would build a bad impression. Making an impression on somebody (I hope somebody read the original and will correct the terms I use) is the key thing here. Let me show a simple example which showcases what is Goffman about for those who didn't read it. Imagine an executive in a big company and his assistant being very informal in their work, being able to call themselves with their names rather than "Ms. Smith", etc. For those who know German of French I mean a situation non-existent in English "se tutoyer" and "duzen". When they have some guest from another company or something like that, they start to be official to each other for two reasons - first the case of being seen as higher in culture and hierarchy, second - the assistant may not want the guest to be as unofficial in the relations with the guest as with the boss. There are great things like "stage" and the "backstage" where everybody can calm down after the tension of playing the role and support themselves in one group (does Goffman use the word "ensemble" to define it? As I said, I read the Polish translation). To do this, they e.g. joke about their audience or show a lot of disrespect to them. Really, fascinating stuff and recommended to anybody. It is written in a rather simple language, it seems and that makes it even more appealing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2007
    Yeah, that Goffman book is a true classic in academia, and it's amazing to see how his "front stage" and "back stage" concepts have seeped into other disciplines, such as media rhetorics (which I myself taught this semester).

And I certainly sympathize regarding Bourdieu....with complex sentences running for almost half a page, you're bound to get frustrated!
    I am extremely serious.
  8. Remember how much Goffman refers to Kenneth Burke who is regarded as one of the reformers of rhetorics.

I loved Bourdieu. I need to read The Rules of Art of him. With Goffman I plan to read Interaction Ritual. I wanted to read Frame Analysis but it seems unavailable in my university library.

I will get more into sociology soon. I would use some recommendations. As a self-respected humanist I feel lackluster when it comes to some classical categories. I love social psychology and sociology started to appeal to me more too. Great stuff really. though I'm a literature student, as I stated.

I need to get that human studies thread going...
    • CommentAuthorMogens
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007
    Martijn wrote
    See? I just wrote your thesis for ya.

On Surround Recording Techniques For Musical Ensembles
    By Demetris Christodoulides

We're all for them.
    Thank you.

Certified A+, right there! punk

Would you do my Ph.D. for me? I like your concise style. biggrin
    Luminous beings are we.. Not this crude matter.