• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Started reading the other day: "Film Music" by Peter Larsen:

http://www.amazon.com/Film-Music-Peter- … amp;sr=1-1

I've just finished the first section on the beginnings of music in moving pictures, particularly the use of the old anthologies/manuals that were available to pianists/orchestras for accompanying the images on-screen.

Larsen paints a picture of bad musicians playing inappropriate music* for scenes before things became more organised with the preparation of these anthologies of "standard" mood music. In other books I have read on the same subject it is usually just mentioned that there was live accompaniment with the pictures and that this musical accompaniment was well played and fitted the images well.

*For example, an early film with a scene of a grieving widower perfomed to the tune of "No Wedding Bells For Me", a popular song about the joys of bachelor life with the line: "Gee whiz! I'm glad I'm free! No wedding bells for me!"
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Still reading Peter Larsen's "Film Music" (which is an enjoyable read) but also fitted in a 40-page "music guide" (for students doing Music Technology A level (school qualification)) on Goldfinger.

It's quite interesting in the sense that the author talks about the instrumentation & orchestration Barry uses in this 1964 score, points out "leitmotifs" and analysis of each cue from the film (including musical notations). It's a nice, compact reference piece for one of Barry's (and Bond's) greatest scores.

Also, arrived yesterday was Thomas E. Scheurer's book entitled "Music and Mythmaking In Film: Genre and The Role of The Composer". I've not started this one yet but the book promises to discuss what methods composers use to underscore genre movies. Genres covered are:

--- science fiction (Star Wars, Them!, Alien, It Came From Outer Space, E.T., The Day The Earth Stood Still)
    --- detective movies (Farewell My Lovely, Double Indemnity, L.A. Confidential, The Big Sleep, Chinatown)
    --- horror (Bride of Frankenstein, The Omen, Horror of Dracula, A Nightmare on Elm Street)
    --- historical romance (Adventures of Robin Hood, Prisoner of Zenda, Captain Blood, El Cid, Robin Hood Price of Thieves)
    --- western (Dodge City, The Big Country, The Magnificent Seven, Shane, Red River, Dances With Wolves)

http://www.mcfarlandpub.com/contents-2. … 864-3190-8

It looks quite interesting.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008
    Falkirk, I didn't know that Larsen's film music book was translated into English. It was the first film music overview book in Norwegian (even though Larsen himself is Danish), and quite pioneering in that way (I do feel that he "stole" my future idea, though! smile). It's quite useful and not half-bad....I actually read this while cruising down the Amazon on a riverboat in 2006! BUT...it's a little all-over-the-place. It brushes past some theoretical sections which truly leaves one hanging. It seems to WANT to explore many areas, but forgets that an overview book also needs to be structured.

As for Scheurer, I do think he has some fine ideas, especially on science fiction. Have you read his article on the music of 2001?
    I am extremely serious.
  3. Thor, the translation was published last year - and it reads quite well. I found there to be quite a few positives in Larsen's book and on several occasions it gave alternate views on subjects covered by other film music books. Nice to read some fresh perspective on things. Most of these were not earth-shattering. For example, Larsen suggests that the road to musical accompaniment in early silent films was a lot more difficult that some people I've read suggest.

The last couple of chapters that touch on the psychology of film music and the function of film music were interesting but seemed a bit tagged on with no real link with what had come before. But, for me, Larsen's book will be remembered as being the book that put me in touch with Gottfried Huppertz's music for Metropolis. Thanks!

I don't think I've come across Scheurer before, but I'm struggling with the first few chapters on "Music and Mythmaking In Film" - at the moment he's explaining some background on how myth and genre are connected and talks about kernel structure identification in genre movies such as westerns. And then mentioning how variations within genres arise based around the specific genre kernel structure. I'm hoping that he's going to start applying these ideas to film music...and quickly!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2008 edited
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    The last couple of chapters that touch on the psychology of film music and the function of film music were interesting but seemed a bit tagged on with no real link with what had come before. But, for me, Larsen's book will be remembered as being the book that put me in touch with Gottfried Huppertz's music for Metropolis. Thanks!

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about. If you have read some of Larsen's other articles, you'd know that he has gone into more detail on these issues before. So he's presenting them here "on the surface", and it's really not material that you can treat this way. Additionally, like Russel Lack's book "Twenty Four Frames Under", it wants to be everything at once.

I don't think I've come across Scheurer before, but I'm struggling with the first few chapters on "Music and Mythmaking In Film" - at the moment he's explaining some background on how myth and genre are connected and talks about kernel structure identification in genre movies such as westerns. And then mentioning how variations within genres arise based around the specific genre kernel structure. I'm hoping that he's going to start applying these ideas to film music...and quickly!!

It's important to be patient with texts that are academic. They often spend much time setting up their premise, before moving on to what it's "really" about. In either case, I'm reminded of Thomas Schatz in the genre theory you mention. Also, Royal S. Brown mentions the link to Levi-Strauss' myth terms in his book" "Overtones and Undertones" (in relation to the leitmotif debate), so it's obviously a very popular source for film and film music theory.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Started reading "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. Looks pretty good for now...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFalkirkBairn
    Thor wrote
    Additionally, like Russel Lack's book "Twenty Four Frames Under", it wants to be everything at once.

:shudder:
    I wasn't very keen on that book at all!!

Thor wrote
    It's important to be patient with texts that are academic. They often spend much time setting up their premise, before moving on to what it's "really" about.

This initial introduction is definitely a "scene-setter", explaining the premise. I just hope I retain a reasonable amount of this by the time the meat of the book begins!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Wow Thor, you did a cruise on the Amazon!? shocked
    Kazoo
  4. Bregt wrote

I meant to add a shocked with my original response!!

Maybe I just didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I was just reading it at home!!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote

I've swum in it! tongue wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Bregt wrote

I meant to add a shocked with my original response!!

Maybe I just didn't want to draw attention to the fact that I was just reading it at home!!

biggrin

Yeah, but also, when I'm on a boat on the Amazon, I don't think I'd be reading. wink
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Bregt wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Bregt wrote

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh.

It's brown and full of Piranha biggrin
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Yeah, I went on a safari into the Amazon jungle in 2006 (as part of the TV series I was in). I also took a swim there (or rather, the "side river" Rio Negro). And I've got the photos to prove it (I'm the one jumping off the boat):

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=1 … =530696277

The most absurd thing was probably playing a football match against a tribe of local Indians!

What a trip (literally)!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Woow, awesome.
    And very disturbing! shocked

I bet you had fun here and there.

Oh, and why do I live in Belgium and can't I run with dogs through the snow? sad

You did like everything!
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Woow, awesome.

Oh, and why do I live in Belgium and can't I run with dogs through the snow? sad

You did like everything!

I can't view the pics? slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2008 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Woow, awesome.

You did like everything!

Hmmm...the links seem to have "expired" (even though the pictures are still obviously there), but yeah, everything I did in relation to that TV series was incredible fun. But I'm sure you can run with dogs through the snow in Belgium as well? You do have dogs and snow, right? wink

And Timmer....you couldn't have seen the pictures even if they WEREN'T expired, coz you're not on facebook in the first place! tongue wink
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Awaits Steven's response rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I say nothing...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    You can show images in facebook to people NOT in facebook by right clicking on the images and pasting the IMAGE URL / LOCATION instead of the generic url that's in the address bar when you view a photo.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    DemonStar wrote

Did you finish it Ravi?

Timeline is one of only two novels I ever gave up on reading when nearly half way through ( the other being The Great And Secret Show by the normally brilliant and twisted Clive Barker ), I usually like Crichton but that one left me bored.

I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, I have just under another 100 pages to go but this is easily the best book I've read in a long, long time. Witty, poignant, tragic and very well written. I've heard it's going to be made into a film? If so that'll be some undertakling with many actors having to play the same part.

It's a popular book that's been on the bestselling lists.....anyone else here read it?

Anyone else apart from Jordi & I reading anything right now?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Did you finish it Ravi?

Timeline is one of only two novels I ever gave up on reading when nearly half way through ( the other being The Great And Secret Show by the normally brilliant and twisted Clive Barker ), I usually like Crichton but that one left me bored.

Yeh I finished it last month. Not that great but good for some time pass anyway. I feel Crichton could've done much better than that. I had Jerry Goldsmith's rejected score playing in my head all along though! biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Did you finish it Ravi?

Yeh I finished it last month. Not that great but good for some time pass anyway. I feel Crichton could've done much better than that. I had Jerry Goldsmith's rejected score playing in my head all along though! biggrin

I was reading it before the film was made. Perhaps if I'd had Jerry in my head I would have finished it!? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    I was reading it before the film was made. Perhaps if I'd had Jerry in my head I would have finished it!? wink

Why not try read with it playing in the background? wink biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's too late now, there are far better books I want to read smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Timmer wrote

It's too late now, there are far better books I want to read smile

Indeed! beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    Currently reading Eldest, by Christopher Paolini. Really good book; at least I think so. I have Patrick Doyle's Eragon score running through my head the whole time! biggrin And then there's The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. Ugh. I have to read that for school, in addition to To Kill a Mockingbird. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008 edited
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Currently reading Eldest, by Christopher Paolini. Really good book; at least I think so. I have Patrick Doyle's Eragon score running through my head the whole time! biggrin And then there's The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. Ugh. I have to read that for school, in addition to To Kill a Mockingbird. sad

Is the sad <-- because you have to read them?

I read 'Mockingbird' years ago ( I didn't have to wink ) and thought it was an excellent book, I can see why it's considered an American classic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

I read 'Mockingbird' years ago ( I didn't have to wink ) and thought it was an excellent book, I can see why it's considered an American classic.

Yes, it's because I have to read them. It's not that I think they're bad books (at least so far I don't think The Count of Monte Cristo is), but more the fact that I need to write chapter summaries and book reports/critiques. Really time-consuming...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote

Yes, it's because I have to read them. It's not that I think they're bad books (at least so far I don't think The Count of Monte Cristo is), but more the fact that I need to write chapter summaries and book reports/critiques. Really time-consuming...

Ahhh! Bummer! slant

Takes a lot of any enjoyment away.