• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Timmer wrote
    TheTelmarine wrote
    Currently reading Eldest, by Christopher Paolini. Really good book; at least I think so. I have Patrick Doyle's Eragon score running through my head the whole time! biggrin And then there's The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. Ugh. I have to read that for school, in addition to To Kill a Mockingbird. sad

Is the sad <-- because you have to read them?

I read 'Mockingbird' years ago ( I didn't have to wink ) and thought it was an excellent book, I can see why it's considered an American classic.

Yes, it's because I have to read them. It's not that I think they're bad books (at least so far I don't think The Count of Monte Cristo is), but more the fact that I need to write chapter summaries and book reports/critiques. Really time-consuming...

Ahhh! Bummer! slant

Takes a lot of any enjoyment away.

Yeah, it stinks. sad
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Started reading "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. Looks pretty good for now...

Did you finish it Ravi?

Timeline is one of only two novels I ever gave up on reading when nearly half way through ( the other being The Great And Secret Show by the normally brilliant and twisted Clive Barker ), I usually like Crichton but that one left me bored.

I'm currently reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger, I have just under another 100 pages to go but this is easily the best book I've read in a long, long time. Witty, poignant, tragic and very well written. I've heard it's going to be made into a film? If so that'll be some undertakling with many actors having to play the same part.

It's a popular book that's been on the bestselling lists.....anyone else here read it?

Anyone else apart from Jordi & I reading anything right now?

--->

....and Telmarine?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Currently I´m reading the third of six books collecting Bujold´s Barrayar novles and short stories. Most tales start rather slowly, with plots whose relevance to the overall arc you seriously doubt about, but you never notice how the author stalks you up from behind and then, with a single turn of events, explains it all to you and turns it into a great rush to a very entertaining finale. It´s a really good SF saga with interesting characters, lots of political intrigues and stunning battle tactics. The main protagonist is the kind of guy who gets himself into more and more trouble, until it all spins out of control while he is forced to go along and keep it all together. Very funny to read.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2008 edited
    Now reading: The Caged Virgin - Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Hirsi Ali has an axe to grind...well, to swing with Islam, and she's not wrong.
    Her overly belligerent and uncompromising stance has earned her very few friends in compromise-loving Holland, but there are many things hear worth thinking about.
    My main point of criticism would be that she does fall into the same trap most everyone else does by attributing a lot to religion that is mainly due to primitive and disturbing elements of Arabian culture.

Though the book is far from subtle, being vehemently opposed against any form of organized religion (which has wrought more evil than good throughout history and culture) myself, I don't find this book nearly as harsh and damning as it's propagated to be by the overwhelming majority of multi-culturalism apologists. And I can forgive her unsubtlety easily: she's had to live it. She's bloody entitled.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2008
    NR: The Screwtape Letters - C.S. Lewis

A great book! I'm reading this for school, and so far I am loving it! cool
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2008
    A MAD WORLD, My Masters - John Simpson

Autobiographical writing from BBC journalist John Simpson makes rivetting reading, I'm only on page 50 and I'm totally hooked. This man really has had a life and a half already travelling to the kind of hot spot countries you or I wouldn't dream of going to. Funny, tragic, mad, I can't recommend it enough so far.

Makes a traveller like me right at the bottom of the lightweight ladder.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2008
    Sounds interesting Tim, I'll have to check it out!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote

Please do, it's BRILLIANT!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote

Please do, it's BRILLIANT!

Ordered. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008
    Timmer wrote

Have you finished this yet Tim?

My copy arrived today and I'm really looking forward to getting started.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote

Have you finished this yet Tim?

My copy arrived today and I'm really looking forward to getting started.

No not yet, I haven't had loads of time to read but this is a book you can pick up anytime without losing track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    DEAVER DEAVER DEAVER

He created the character Lincoln Rhyme who was featured in a film starring D.W. called the Bone Collector. Excellent page turners.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    I'm reading two books currently. The one is called "The Spartans" by Paul Cartledge. It's an epic story about Ancient Sparta and it gives a very good insight on the culture of those people.
    The other is the "Parma lambe Quenyanna" and it's a book on Quenya, one of Tolkien's elvish languages. It's written by Minas Tsoulis, a Greek linguist, who has studied Tolkien's fictional languages and he wrote this book on the grammar,the syntax and the pronounciation of Quenya.So, in a way I'm trying to learn how to write and speak in an imaginary language! smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
  1. Yeah, that's cool to learn an imaginary language. Though, don't forget that Tolkien was a linguistic genius, he KNEW how to build the languages smile.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2008
    I've purchased $200 worth of Terry Pratchet books last week.

I'll have enough to read for the next three years. I certainly hope that the hype's been worth it!
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008
    HeeroJF wrote
    I've purchased $200 worth of Terry Pratchet books last week.

I'll have enough to read for the next three years. I certainly hope that the hype's been worth it!

I've never read a single one but I have a few friends who adore them, a bit annoying when they anally quote whole passages.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    I know. I have too many friends who know me too well and suggest those book too often for me to ignore them too much longer.

I'm still catching up on a couple of Anne Rice works now, but then I'll start Discworld post-haste.

It's such a liberating feeling being 100% caught up with Star Wars novels and only having to read when a new one comes out. Ahh.. It's been the labour of a lifetime, it sometimes feels.
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    I just finished reading Kate Elliott's Jaran. I've read the Crown of Stars and Crossroad fantasy series but finally got around to her earliest series. It's a sci-fi adventure about an offworld woman who gets stranded on a planet with nomadic horseriders and eventually becomes accepted by them. Lots of anthropological detail and political intrigue.

Heero, if you're in the U.S., you can use Paperbackswap.com and save money if you don't mind reading used, sometimes beat up books. I post a bunch of cheap thrift shop books and get credits to request other books to read. $200 is sure a lot to spend on Terry Pratchett!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2008 edited
    Hm. I kinda do mind. Call it obsessive if you may but I like my books to be completely free of creases on their spine. Usually when I'm done with a book the corners are a bit bent and wrinkly, but the spine is pristine!

The Anne Rice I'm reading now is second-hand and has a big annoying crease.

Still, that's quite a useful suggestion, thanks! Too late this time, but I'll keep it in mind for the future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2008
    For those who like good quality high fantasy for adults, I would like to recommend:

A Song of Ice and Fire books by George R.R. Martin (the best, but heavy stuff)
    Books written by Robin Hobb (very nice 'warm' books, first person pov)
    Books written by Raymond Feist (straightforward)
    Books written by J.V. Jones (Sword of Shadow series)
    Books written by Greg Keyes (Kingdom of Thorn and Bones series)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Talos wrote
    Books written by Greg Keyes (Kingdom of Thorn and Bones series)

Also the author of three Star Wars : The New Jedi Order books. Good ones, too!
    •  
      CommentAuthormarkck
    Timmer wrote
    DemonStar wrote
    Started reading "Timeline" by Michael Crichton. Looks pretty good for now...

Did you finish it Ravi?

Timeline is one of only two novels I ever gave up on reading when nearly half way through ( the other being The Great And Secret Show by the normally brilliant and twisted Clive Barker ), I usually like Crichton but that one left me bored.

Really? I actually quite liked it. I've read it a few times. I do find Crichton's book to be sort of hit and miss, though.

I am reading a couple of books - Roger Moore's journal of the filming of Live and Let Die which is amusing. Richard Wiseman's Severall Chirurgicall Treatises as research for a book I've been working on for the last year and a Social Psychology textbook for a class I'm taking (mostly for fun).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Homicide from David Simon was a book given to me as a gift years ago and I never cracked it open. They made a television series about it which lasted for a few years. Nothing like the book much which chronicals one year a news reporter spent with the Baltimore homicide detectives (230+ murders). Not what you'd call a safe place.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    ^ It's because I live there. Fear me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm reading two books currently. The one is called "The Spartans" by Paul Cartledge. It's an epic story about Ancient Sparta and it gives a very good insight on the culture of those people.
    The other is the "Parma lambe Quenyanna" and it's a book on Quenya, one of Tolkien's elvish languages. It's written by Minas Tsoulis, a Greek linguist, who has studied Tolkien's fictional languages and he wrote this book on the grammar,the syntax and the pronounciation of Quenya.So, in a way I'm trying to learn how to write and speak in an imaginary language! smile

At least you're not reading Twilight. rolleyes Oh, wait, I shouldn't have said that. shame wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    What's Twilight?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Christodoulides wrote
    What's Twilight?

A vampire romance book which is currently being read by just about every member of the female sex I know. rolleyes The movie is to be released Friday, during (or after) which every guy who has a girlfriend is going to die as he is dragged to see the film. So if I randomly disappear for eternity, you'll know why. wink Luckily, tickets for the film in my area are already sold out for Friday (and quite possibly Saturday, as well), meaning I may last just a few more days than expected. biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Why they go bananas about it? Is is SEX AND THE CITY for vamps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Why they go bananas about it? Is is SEX AND THE CITY for vamps?

Possibly. I'm not really sure. I just know that pretty much every girl at my school (and even some teachers!) is addicted to it. The hype has been becoming more and more noticeable over the past week or two, as they are all cramming to read it (and sadly, the sequels rolleyes) before the film is released on Friday. I really can't wait for it to all be over. I mean, who knows? Maybe they are good books. One or two guys I know are just as hooked on them as the girls. But I won't even consider reading one until the hype for the film has died down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Interesting. Anyone knows how this trend started specifically and what's the story about? What makes the female minds go crazy about it? Although i am not too sure i want to know, still i am curious wink