• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008 edited
    Christodoulides wrote
    Interesting. Anyone knows how this trend started specifically and what's the story about? What makes the female minds go crazy about it? Although i am not too sure i want to know, still i am curious wink

No idea. Well, the story (IIRC) is about a girl named Bella who falls for a vampire named Edward. Apparently Edward is perfect in body, irresistibly handsome/beautiful, and Bella basically idolizes him. But there's a slight catch: as a vampire, Edward is drawn to blood as a source of nourishment. Though they love each other, Edward is constantly having to be cautious that he doesn't lose control and harm Bella for her blood. At least that's what I know about the story from off the top of my head. But as for why girls are so attracted to this sort of thing, I have no idea. I mean, it sounds interesting, and I may even give it a try someday (though likely only if my girlfriend urges me to do so). But for now, it's just a story, a story which is way over-hyped (IMO), and it's getting pretty darn annoying.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2008
    Yeah, evidently girls get excited about the thought of being raped by a vampire or something. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    I was taken aback by the Twilight hype as well. The first book is engaging because Bella seems so normal. She's a kid trying to take care of her single dad, who's the police chief, and fit in at a new school. Edward belongs to the Cullen 'family', a group of vampires that tries to survive without human blood. Girls probably love Edward since he's a heroic figure who tries to protect Bella from a very bad, bloodsucking vamp. Edward's also noble, emotionally torn, and romantic for preventing himself from biting Bella. Personally, I liked the book because of the secondary characters like Carlisle, the gentle moral authority in the Cullen family, and Alice, a vampire with precognitive abilities who becomes like a sister to Bella.

Omaha, your comment wasn't very appropriate. It's the restraint from physical intimacy that makes the relationship more romantic.

In the second book, Bella is drawn to her Native-American friend, Jacob Black, while Edward keeps his distance. The story turns into a love triangle of sorts between a vampire, a werewolf, and a human. Later in the series, Italian vampire enforcers see the Cullen family as a threat to their authority and intend to attack and capture them. Bella is seen as breaking some ancient vampire laws and both Jacob and Edward have to come to terms with each other to protect her.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    We Were Soldiers Once... And Young

I read multiple books at a time though, this is one I'm working on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    William wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    I'm reading two books currently. The one is called "The Spartans" by Paul Cartledge. It's an epic story about Ancient Sparta and it gives a very good insight on the culture of those people.
    The other is the "Parma lambe Quenyanna" and it's a book on Quenya, one of Tolkien's elvish languages. It's written by Minas Tsoulis, a Greek linguist, who has studied Tolkien's fictional languages and he wrote this book on the grammar,the syntax and the pronounciation of Quenya.So, in a way I'm trying to learn how to write and speak in an imaginary language! smile

At least you're not reading Twilight. rolleyes Oh, wait, I shouldn't have said that. shame wink

Actually William I've read Twilight,Eclipse and New Moon and they are pretty good.I'm not sure that I'll watch the film though.As I gather you don't like the idea of the books. smile
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    zirael wrote
    The story turns into a love triangle of sorts between a vampire, a werewolf, and a human.

rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes rolleyes
    Jackie Collins goes Goth.
    I swear: Anne Rice has a LOT to answer for. angry
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    The "love triangle"it's more in their mind.It never gets physical.
    Whatever you gaze rests on,do not use your vision, but the eyes of your soul...She knows better...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ahhh, the wonderful neo-Victorian touch...that was all that was lacking indeed.
    I say again: Anne Rice has got a LOT to answer for. kill
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Do you want me to send you the books hon?You never know, you may find them interesting and then have a discussion on the new turns fantasy writing has taken! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    IT'S NOT A NEW TURN!
    It's simple adolescent non-conformism ("look at me being special and different and tragic") in a black velvet cape. If I want non-conformism I'll pick up a Hulk comic. rolleyes

Damn kids.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Ok,ok don't get overexcited and DON'T SHOUT!!! tongue
    Well sometimes we need some non-conformism in our lives wheter from a Hulk comic or a Meyer book.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Hey, don't go all diplomatic on me! I was in the mood for a fight! wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    By all means hon!Diplomacy ends here!Start the fight and I'll follow!What do you want us to fight about? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'll stick to Homicide
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shocked

I realize people who read Rice and this Meijer person stuff inherently have terrible taste, but you don't have to kill them!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Seriously, the book I'm reading is an interesting look at the Baltimore police.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    By all means hon!Diplomacy ends here!Start the fight and I'll follow!Waht do you want us to fight about? wink

Is there a reason why there are no spaces in between your sentences? Not that I'm having a dig here, I'm just wondering why that is? A technical fault perhaps?
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    By all means hon!Diplomacy ends here!Start the fight and I'll follow!Waht do you want us to fight about? wink

Is there a reason why there are no spaces in between your sentences? Not that I'm having a dig here, I'm just wondering why that is? A technical fault perhaps?

Yes, there is a reason. If we were talking face to face I would be saying this in one breath, you know, really fast. So, no spaces between the sentences. smile
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

I realize people who read Rice and this Meijer person stuff inherently have terrible taste, but you don't have to kill them!

Mmm, I thought that having you as a friend showed my good taste. But since you think that people who read Meyer have a bad taste (add that I actually like the books) then logically the first sentence is not true either and consequently you are not a proof of good taste! tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Yes, there is a reason. If we were talking face to face I would be saying this in one breath, you know, really fast. So, no spaces between the sentences. smile

Iseeyourpoint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Greek style wink

As for Twilight, i read the plot and understood right away from the first 2 sentences why chicks dig it. rolleyes
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Christodoulides wrote
    Stavroula wrote
    Steven wrote
    Stavroula wrote

Greek style wink

As for Twilight, i read the plot and understood right away from the first 2 sentences why chicks dig it. rolleyes

Greek style indeed!Please,please,please tell me you aren't calling me a chick too!I'm allergic to the notion of a chick.It's to close to "bimbo"in my mind and I hope I'm not considered one!Am I my sweet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No; i know a lot of dumb chicks sadly but you're certainly not one my dear wink You, are our resident Greek Goddess. Nothing less. kiss
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHeeroJF
    Martijn wrote
    shocked

*looks up from the pages of Memnoch the Devil* Hey! angry
    ''The mandate, as well as the benefit, of responsibility is the ability to tell when one can afford to be irresponsible.'' - Me
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Ahhh, the wonderful neo-Victorian touch...that was all that was lacking indeed.
    I say again: Anne Rice has got a LOT to answer for. kill

I suggest we team up and get all Van Helsingified on poofy vampire ass!
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Stavroula wrote
    Mmm, I thought that having you as a friend showed my good taste.

I would never be a member of a club that would let in people like me! angry
    (Groucho Marx said it first)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Chicks are cute! :chick:

Do we have a christmas chick? christmas_reindeer
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love chicken riesling. lick

I love Nigella too, though obviously she has no clue what coq means.
    •  
      CommentAuthorStavroula
    Martijn wrote

I would never be a member of a club that would let in people like me! angry

Methinks the sire doth protest too much... tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    A touch, a touch, I do confess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    [b]As I gather you don't like the idea of the books. smile

You gather correctly.