• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2008
    Just finished reading Dan Brown's Deception Point. Great stuff! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Twilight is out for me
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    sdtom wrote
    Twilight is out for me

What do you mean? confused It's out to get you? shocked dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2008
    DemonStar wrote

Not a bad conspiracy thriller.
    For me though, he just isn't that great of a writer.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    DemonStar wrote

Not a bad conspiracy thriller.
    For me though, he just isn't that great of a writer.

I agree but he does know how to make a book a page turner.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Twilight is just not my kind of read
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    After reading about the plot, mine neither! I'm more into thriller/sci fi/fantasy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I'd really recommend this Homicide book
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008 edited
    To keep with the criminal theme: NR: Depraved - Harold Schechter

I've read some of Schechter's True Crime books before, and I find them riveting: he specializes in serial killers from the turn of the century, offering a wealth of information about the era, the social circumstances and the protagonist's surroundings that betrays the most thorough research. The era really comes alive through the minute details and social settings he describes with an ease as if it were fiction.

Depraved, the story of America's very first serial killer, H.H. Holmes around the 1880s, is no exception. As disturbing as the subject matter is, and the demonic psychological deviousness inherent to it, it's fascinating to read just how easily people are manipulated, how a web of deceit and murder goes unnoticed for so long, and how much things depend on just a turn of a screw.

In this day and age, psychologised and media-rich, we can easily place any suchsociopath, but it's fascinating to see how tur-of-the-century America tries and makes sense of such a man (which they can't in any other way tha to mythologise him: "monster", "devil", "bluebeard").
    A very interesting read indeed, if only to understand the era more.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008
    It does sound like a book I'd want to read Martijn. I've written it down on a notepad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2008
    Finished Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. I like how he makes academic research so accessible and repackages it using his own terms. He argues that social and cultural context, birth timing, practical intelligence, 10,000 hours of practice, as well as luck and opportunity are the ingredients for extraordinary success. I guess I'm not successful since I haven't found anything that I want to do for 10,000 hours yet! lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2008
    I'm reading a book, "Twisted," by Jeffrey Deaver, author of "Bone Collector," a series of short stories that rival the best Zone or AH. I strongly recommend it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Twisted-Collected … 0743491599

Thomas
  1. I'll be starting a film music-related book that I received at Christmas:

"A History of Film Music" by Mervyn Cooke

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Film-Mu … amp;sr=8-1

I've read a few history of film music books over the years and I'm hoping that this one will provide some additional insights on the subject. Scanning through the chapters there does seem to be more coverage across a few lesser areas. Take a look at the table of contents for a list of the chapters covered.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2008
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I'll be starting a film music-related book that I received at Christmas:

"A History of Film Music" by Mervyn Cooke

http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Film-Mu … amp;sr=8-1

I've read a few history of film music books over the years and I'm hoping that this one will provide some additional insights on the subject. Scanning through the chapters there does seem to be more coverage across a few lesser areas. Take a look at the table of contents for a list of the chapters covered.

Interesting! I'm familiar with Cooke, but not with this new book. As I try to stay up-to-date on film music literature, this is something that I need to check out - whatever the quality is. Thanks for the heads-up!
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008
    sounds interesting
  2. Just finished Crichton's Jurassic Park. Definitely deserved to be his signature novel for sure.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Just finished Crichton's Jurassic Park. Definitely deserved to be his signature novel for sure.

It differs quite a bit from the film doesn't it.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  3. Timmer wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Just finished Crichton's Jurassic Park. Definitely deserved to be his signature novel for sure.

Yes, it does. The thing is, I did read The Lost World before this one, so I at least know a few of the differences beforehand.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2008 edited
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Timmer wrote
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote

Yes, it does. The thing is, I did read The Lost World before this one, so I at least know a few of the differences beforehand.

I thought the quick moving, aggressive mini-elephant was creepy.

I read the book before the film was made so you'll have to remind me, was it the lawyer Gennaro who get's killed by the juvenile T-Rex?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    The novel Sea Wolf by Jack London is one that Hollywood did take a lot from the book.
  4. Timmer wrote

I read the book before the film was made so you'll have to remind me, was it the lawyer Gennaro who get's killed by the juvenile T-Rex?

Nope. It was Ed Regis, Jurassic Park head PR. Gennaro survived in the book.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Timmer wrote

Nope. It was Ed Regis, Jurassic Park head PR. Gennaro survived in the book.

Ahhh! Thanks. Hammond is another who doesn't survive in the book.

Anybody here ever read Benchley's JAWS? In the book marine biologist Hooper ( played by Richard Dreyfus in the film ) gets munched on underwater in the cage.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Anybody here ever read Benchley's JAWS? In the book marine biologist Hooper ( played by Richard Dreyfus in the film ) gets munched on underwater in the cage.

An excellent example where the film outshone the book by far!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote

An excellent example where the film outshone the book by far!

Without a doubt Martijn, without a doubt!

Incidently I also read JAWS before the film was made, in fact it was the first "proper" book I ever read, up until that point my book reading consisted of Herbert Van Thal's horror anthologies and the like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    Timmer wrote
    up until that point my book reading consisted of Herbert Van Thal's horror anthologies and the like.

shocked
    Oh, my dark demonic Lords!
    That takes me back!

You have most exquisite taste, Sir!
    (Even in the generally considered distasteful. biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2008 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    up until that point my book reading consisted of Herbert Van Thal's horror anthologies and the like.

shocked
    Oh, my dark demonic Lords!
    That takes me back!

You have most exquisite taste, Sir!
    (Even in the generally considered distasteful. biggrin )

smile beer

It takes me back too, there were many famous authors contained amongst those short stories cool

The artwork on many of the covers was seriously creepy, so much better than many of the lurid and flashy covers that came later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Back to "Twisted" with the quirky endings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009 edited
    I've been reading about puberty and adolescence a lot for my training. To try and understand the age we're also reading books and watching TV programmes aimed at that group (or rather, watched by that group). It's also fun to compare what I used to read and what adolescents are reading these days.

I read Sophies World, but it's not aimed at children in puberty at all I think although it says age 14 and up. The charackter is not developped at all. To go back to my own younger years I got the diaries of Adrian Mole again from the library. I read those (the first two) when I was 14. A lot of fun!

Not just fun books for any age, but it's nice to notice how different my experience is now. smile
    I'm still laughing my ass off with Adrian Mole but because of different things than back then! I finished the first two this week and I'm thinking of reading the other four as well, but I'm a bit afraid they won't be as good? Does anyone know?

I have to write something about TV shows too. Any soap would be OK but I'm a great fan of Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide so I'll take that one. I think, as with many series and films, that it's being watched by a younger age than it was aimed at though (it's even dubbed here).
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    I also got and read Twisted Volume 2 also by Deaver.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2009
    WORLD WITHOUT END - Ken Follett

A "sequel" to his mammoth PILLARS OF THE EARTH this time set in the 1300's, full of medieval doings and great characters it covers a timescale of 40 years that also takes in the great plague. This is an excellent pot-boiler and at 1,200+ pages it's just as big as it's predesessor.

I've found that Zimmer's Da Vinci Code & Hannibal and Barry's The Lion In Winter & The Last Valley make great subliminal background music for the book. cool