• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009
    Martijn wrote

God Is Not Great (undertitle: How Religion Poisons Everything) is a well-written, if very personal and at times overly acerbic pamphlet against religion as an institute. Hitchens argues coherently and -noy unimportantly- very entertainingly and with clear literary skill- that religion's role in the development of human civilization is over, and that its remnants do nothing but poison society at large.
    While more readable than, say, Dawkins, the downside of this book for the likes of me is that he's preaching to the converted: here's not much he brings to bear I hadn't already considered or deduced for myself.
    However Hitchens' clear writing skills add an extra layer to this book, so it never becomes dull or preachy.
    Recommended!

Entertaining read, but not my favourite "atheism" book (I hate that word). I much prefer Sam Harris's End of Faith as he takes a more philosophical stand point than Dawkins or Hitchens. Dawkins, Harris and Hitchens all put forward extremely compelling reasons not to keep outdated religious beliefs, but to really grapple with the whole "God" issue, I do prefer someone like Paul Davies.

I recently read a couple of his books, 'The Goldilocks Enigma' and 'The Mind of God', both great books that deal with the subject (in a mind-bending kind of way). Of course he never admits to believing in any high power as such, but he does express a certain awe of nature that I can certainly adhere to.

I'm reading Brian Greene's 'The Fabric of the Cosmos', and he stays well clear of any such issues and simply gets down to explaining current knowledge... well, so far anyway. I'm about half way though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, you see, it's not the whole God issue I actually have issues with.
    If anyone is happy pledging allegiance to a kindly old gentleman (or even plural ones) in the skies they're perfectly welcome to do so as far as I'm concerned.

What i do have a HUGE issue with is religion and its corrupting influence.
    Hitchens tackles the subject cleverly and adroitly, but steer clear from the whole God thing.
    And quite rightly so: while the two concepts are obviously clearly intertwined, tackling one is quite different from tackling the other, and I see the need to challenge the social order as far more urgent and acute than challenging the underlying truth or metaphore.
    (Though in an ideal world or discussion, that should go hand in hand).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    What i do have a HUGE issue with is religion and its corrupting influence.

And I couldn't agree more. Thing is, I'm all anti-religioned out for now!... if I start reading a book like God Is Not Great, I tend to get quite riled up. This is why I suppose I'm [in]famous for being the local atheist. But it's far more a case of absolute non-religiousness than 'atheism'. I vehemently reject any God concocted by Homo sapiens, that's the point I stick to. This is why I like Paul Davies' books, he (like Einstien) thankfully doesn't give any credit to religious gods*, but still explores the idea in some very fascinating ways.

*Not that I'm insinuating the other authors do. Davies simply doesn't need to dwell on religious beliefs to get his points across.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    By the way, have you read any of Greene's books? (Two of them in total; The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos.)

I'm told that the former requires drugs to fully comprehend it. The latter isn't far off.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009 edited
    edit
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2009
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    other book

Yay, there's more!

Yeap! Strange Places, Questionable People

Could be the title of this site!? cheesy wink
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anybody here ever read Benchley's JAWS? In the book marine biologist Hooper ( played by Richard Dreyfus in the film ) gets munched on underwater in the cage.

An excellent example where the film outshone the book by far!

here here

I don't give a flying flip about this long building affair.
    The ending wasn't very climatic at all.
    Also, no real characters to pull for.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    The Grey Pilgrim wrote
    Just finished Crichton's Jurassic Park. Definitely deserved to be his signature novel for sure.

Definitely. Though I am quite fond of Sphere. There's a page turner. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    Finished Shutter Island a couple of weeks ago. Can't wait for the film. Very descriptive. Lots of twists and turns.

This was my first Dennis Lehane novel. He also wrote Mystic River and Gone Baby Gone. He sure loves to write about Boston. smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    omaha wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Anybody here ever read Benchley's JAWS? In the book marine biologist Hooper ( played by Richard Dreyfus in the film ) gets munched on underwater in the cage.

An excellent example where the film outshone the book by far!

here here

I don't give a flying flip about this long building affair.
    The ending wasn't very climatic at all.
    Also, no real characters to pull for.

JAWS was the very first "grown up" book I ever read......and before I'd heard of any plans for a film!!! ( man, I make myself seem old sometimes slant rolleyes )
    •  
      CommentAuthoromaha
    it is o.k.
    you are wiser.

wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    biggrin

Not much wiser wink

I was 12 or 13 when I read it. The film is indeed far superior.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    Timmer wrote
    LSH wrote
    Timmer wrote
    other book

Yay, there's more!

Yeap! Strange Places, Questionable People

Could be the title of this site!? cheesy wink

biggrin

That's right though, he does refer to it a couple of times in this one.

According to Wikipedia, he has written several autobiographical 'volumes':

> Strange Places, Questionable People (1998)
    > A Mad World, My Masters (2000)
    > News From No Man's Land (2002)
    > The Wars Against Saddam: Taking the Hard Road to Baghdad (2004)
    > Days from a Different World: A Memoir of Childhood (2005)
    > Not Quite World's End: A Traveller's Tales (2007)
    > Twenty Tales From The War Zone (2007)
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Lately, other than the Cinema Book, which will end up as reference material, I've been into Michael Palmer and his medical thriller books. Currently I'm reading The 5th Vial which has to do with transplants.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009
    Just finished the first book of a trilogy... Daugher of the Empire... by Feist and Wurst... nice read. (fantasy) Ok... so continue to read now with book two.. Servant of the Empire.

Recommend for fantasy buffs... (its not troll/elves stuff)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I love Raymond Feist ever since his not flawless, but very different Magician!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorTalos
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote

Finished that one to first of course.. then i started to read to rise of Mara. Also read other works of Feist.. Conclave of Shadows was nice too.

A very good writer, which writes very 'warm' 'personal' books... is Robin Hobb... I love all her work. Easy to read, engrossing.

The king is George R.R. Martin...!!! But he writes sloooooooooowwwwww. Another fantastic series is the Sword of Shadows series by J.V. Jones. Nice!

Another good read, is the Winds of the Forelands series by David B. Coe.

A series to started promising but went downhill quickly is the series by Greg Keyes. Kingdoms of Thorn and Bone. The last book is quite bad.

But my top favorites are:

Martin, Hobb and Feist... and later perhaps Patrick Rothfuss (still need to start reading his books, but I think I will like it)
    www.budgethotels-hongkong.com LOWEST Hong Kong hotel rates
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've pretty much given up on fantasy novels (especially when they started doing these interminable book series: six books at 780 pages each to tell a story? Unless you're starting a new religion or chronicling a star system, you're doing something wrong (if I were a cynic I'd even offer a supposition that maybe they're just doing it for the money. shocked )

I'm only attracted back to the genre now by writers who really have something to add, or something new to tell.
    I'm halfway Tad Williams' The War Of The Flowers now, which is starting to come up like a sort of steampunk-fantasy, which is very entertaining indeed!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote

I read Faerie Tale which was okay.

I'd ask for recommendations but I'm well behind on a pile of books.

I'm currently reading Magic Terror by Peter Straub, 7 short stories of which I'm on the 4th. Gripping stuff, Straub is a better writer IMO than his contemporary ( and friend ) Stephen King.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2009 edited
    On my initial reading of Faerie Tale I thought it was the dog's bollocks! (But then I was only fifteen at the time).
    I recently reread it, and though there's more than enough suspense and off-beat material to keep things interesting, the too-easy nightcandle ending was a bit of a disappointment, as was the linearity of the material (something that bothered me in Magician as well, though I'd rate that one higher to this day).

As for Straub, like I think I said before, I never enjoyed any of his work much.
    Too convoluted (though I love The Talisman!)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Did you ever get around to Black House?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    shame

Ehm...

shame

I will though! Honest Injun!
    <Chalks up another one on the Amazon wish list>
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Carol O'Connell, a new author to me, wrote a book "Killing Critics" which is beginning to tie in a 12 year old killing to a present day one. Hard for me to comment as I'm only into it by 60 pages so far.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    One of the books I read on holiday was Sebastian Faulks's James Bond novel "Devil May Care". I haven't had so much fun with a novel in ages! I know one forum member here who would absolutely adore it. It is so full of all that is good about the Fleming Bond novels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    RR: Adventures of Huckleberry Finn - Mark Twain

I have to read it for school. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    I don't read anymore.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Thor wrote
    I don't read anymore.

your loss my friend
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    I don't read anymore.

your loss my friend

I guess, but I've had my share of reading over the years, what with 11 years in academia and all. I now prefer to use that time for other things, like listening to music with my full attention. Besides, I get plenty of "reading" done here on the internet! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I have been reading like three books the past 5 months. I find that unbelievable!

A year on the Mekong - Edward A. Gargan
    Yeah, before my trip to Laos, and the act that I like reading journals about trips. Now this journalist travels the Mekong from its source to the Southern-Vietnam delta, and focuses on the culture and history of the countries this mighty yellow river passes through; Nepal, Tibet, Yunnan, Laos, MyanMar (Birma), Cambodia and Vietnam. Interesting to know more about the Secret War in Laos (the most bombed country in the world, thanks to the USA), the Cambodian Khmer Rouge (somehow partly related to the USA politics with Vietnam), the French colonisation, the current 'catholic' colonisation, rice, the suppression of cultures in China (not only Tibet obviously), ... Really a good read, and enriching for the trip itself. smile

Another Quiet American - Brett Dakin
    Bought this surprisingly enough in Laos itself, in a book store in Luang Prabang. It's about a American student taking about his two years of internship in the tourism department of Laos, in 1998-1999, in the capital Vientiane. Fun to read since we visited the place. But he doesn't keep away criticism for its communistic government, NGO's or UN/WTO and their donations which seem not to have feeling with the country or the needs, ... Interesting again to see the country from an other perspective. He concludes that since h hasn't been there anymore, Laos slipped away quicker than he thought: the country clearly hides itself away from the real world. (http://www.anotherquietamerican.com/)

Daughter of fire : a portrait of Iceland - Katharine Scherman
    Hihi, you might know what the next destination is. Anyway, got this book almost for free at a sell-out at the library and I'm about 1/3 now. Old book, but fascinating!! It talks about the history of Iceland, its creation, its newer islands, its people, ... Perhaps a bit uninteresting at first, but actually well written and again, with that sense of awe, and constant nice stories or bits of information. It's a print with some black and white pictures, released short after the creation of the World's Newest Island, Surtsey. Awesome
    Kazoo
  1. sdtom wrote
    Thor wrote
    I don't read anymore.

your loss my friend

Reading fiction is something I don't tend to do anymore either. Years ago I used to read constantly - before film music took over most of my free time. Any reading I do now tends to be mostly non-fiction.

Don't really miss it.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn