• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009 edited
    shocked

I find great worth in both fiction and non-fiction.
    I'd be as deeply troubled giving up my Lovecrafts, Easton Elisses, Conrads and Frosts (does poetry count towards fiction?) as I would be giving up my non-fiction historical, philosophical, ethical and political analyses (and cooking books biggrin )

Both have things to say about the world around me that challenge my preconceptions and perception and force me to look at things...differently.

It's not something I have ever found a film or a piece of music being able to do in quite the same fashion.
    And though there is of course indeed plenty to read on the web, the very format of it is generally such that it defies easy access to thorough analysis, something a 300+ page book obviously is far better suited for.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Since the stroke and the extra time I've become a reader again.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2009
    Good out of bad, Congrats Tom beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2009
    The History of Norwegian Music by Nils Grinde. I'm trying to learn more about Johan Svendsen.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    The History of Norwegian Music by Nils Grinde. I'm trying to learn more about Johan Svendsen.
    Thomas

Sounds interesting and probably something even I should read. Soon you'll know more about Norwegian classical music than I do! smile
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2009
    It seems to be well written. ISBN 0-8032-2135-5
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009
    A few books I've read in the past three months:

The Elegant Universe - Briane Greene
    The Fabric of the Cosmos - Briane Greene (best book I've ever read, better than Dawkin's God Delusion)
    The Goldilocks Enigma - Paul Davies
    The Mind of God - Paul Davies
    Big Bang - Simon Singh
    The Cosmic Landscape - Leonard Susskind
    Quantum Physics Cannot Hurt You - Marcus Chown
    The Never-Ending Days of Being Dead - Marcus Chown

All of them so highly recommended I can't even begin to describe. (But only to those with an affinity for science and truth.)

And I'm about to begin Warped Passages by Lisa Randall.

....I like physics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    W-e-e-e-e-l-l-l-l...I'd say recommended for those with a powerful affinity towards physics.
    There is very little debate (if any) about the concept of "truth" in any of these books.

Don't get me wrong! These are all very worthwhile reads (well, the few of these I know are), but I wouldn't pick them up to glean any insight or new ideas in a philosophical (or spiritual) sense. Most are proper scientific works with an eye towards explaining the nature of the Universe.

Not being a physics nut I found them moderately interesting myself, but not something I would be likely to pick up again.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited
    Paul Davies is probably the most philosophical of the above authors, but I'm not really referring to "philosophical truth", just literal nuts&bolts truth. Time is relative; gravity is weak; the observable universe is 13.7 billion years old - that sort of thing. Not 'emotions have an external meaning' or 'God is whomever you want her to be'.

Which of these books have you read? I find it hard to fathom you describing Brian Greene's Fabric of the Cosmos as 'moderately interesting'!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I didn't describe it as such: I said I personally found it moderately interesting.
    It was no reflection on the quality of the writing, or the book's intentions, which I find both daring and excellent, but on my own personal interests.

I'm simply not part of his intended audience. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Shame, I always assumed you liked this sort of thing. Personally, I can't imagine not being enthralled by the Big Questions in science! (Although I can appreciate reading a physics book, particularly particle physics, is certainly not for everyone. wink)

Which ones have you read? And no, I'm not going to write out numerous paragraphs to try and convince you to read the ones you haven't, I'm just curious.

Having said that, I do disagree that 'truth', in a philosophical sense, is left out in all of these books. As I mentioned, Paul Davies is one of the most philosophical of science writers out there, and it particularly shines through in one of his earlier books, 'The Mind of God'. Clearly it's aimed at a scientific audience, and thankfully there's no spiritualism to be found anywhere in his or any of these aforementioned books, but there's certainly a lot of thought-provoking philosophy to be found.

In fact, I find a lot of comfort in these books. I don't know why, but I think it's nice to be reminded there's an unimaginable world of wonders out there that don't need explaining through superstitious assumptions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Steven wrote
    Shame, I always assumed you liked this sort of thing.

Not per se.
    Purely as an interest I'm more of a history/politics kinda guy (with some ventures out into psychology and philosophy), though I'm certainly not beyond bringing proper physics to bear when people insist the Universe was created by a number of Santa Clauses as a hollow shell with the earth being its shining center...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Gotcha. I'm the same when it comes to biology and evolution: I appreciate the importance and impact, but I don't go out of my way to read about them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    ...but to get back to my original point for the third time, which ones have you read? biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've started in on reading Robin Cook, author of Coma, a movie done by Hollywood. So far I've gotten through Fatal Cure, and Toxin.
  1. The master of medical thriller. How is it?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The master of medical thriller. How is it?

If you like medical topics they are good thrillers. Enough so that my friend Maureen found 4 more for me and is sending them out.
    Thomas
  2. I've never read a medical thriller to be honest.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    sdtom wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    The master of medical thriller. How is it?

If you like medical topics they are good thrillers. Enough so that my friend Maureen found 4 more for me and is sending them out.
    Thomas

You broke up?
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Steven we're in different states now for the time being. We'll see each other every couple of months and when her daughter who is living at home goes off to college we'll move in together. I'm very happy with her.

Pawel I'd start with Coma and then watch the movie.

Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2009 edited
    That movie was quite good!
    Very first proper medical thriller I ever saw, and still few others (if any) come close!
    Excellent turns by Geneviève Bujold, Richard Widmark, Michael Douglas (when he was still just "son of...") and a pre- A-Team Lance Legault.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2009
    Pawel another author I can recommend is Anne Perry from Scotland. She writes about a character named William Monk in England in the mid 19th century. Quite good.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    "On the Wrong Track" is A Holmes on the Range Mystery. No it is not Sherlock Holmes but someone who thinks he would like to be or at least like him. They are railroad detectives. Haven't gotten through about 30 pages or so but it seems like it could be interesting. Clever idea by writer Steve Hockensmith.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorEric
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2009
    I'm reading Roger Moore's autobiography called "My Word Is My Bond" at the moment .
    An excellent and fun read - highly recommended !
    "Simplicity is the key to brilliance"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2009
    To the End of the Earth by Tom Avery.

A fascinating account of a successful attempt to prove that the oft-disputed journey by the American, Peary, to reach the North Pole over land in just 37 days from Canada (done in 1909 and nobody's ever come close to matching it - until now) could actually been done. Avery comes across as being a bit of an arrogant SOB, but it's a very impressive achievement and a riveting read.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    I'm currently reading the novel Azingcourt by Bernard Cornwall, a rivetting read and Cornwall really knows his stuff when it comes to history.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Schlock but riveting!!! Robin Cook's Marker
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Recent reading (god, it's been ages since I had time to sit down for a proper spell and just read a book through in one go! This holiday was a godsend!):

The Devil's Gentleman - Harold Schechter
    Schechter, being America's most prolific non-fiction writer on turn of the century American serial killers takes a slightly different turn here by exploring an 1890s poisoning case that was far more interesting for its media coverage than for the shock or heinousness of the actual crime.

In fact the real story here is the maniacal feud between Pullitzer's New York Journal and Randolph Hearst's San Francisco Examiner in depicting the crime in as lurid and public a fashion as possible, actually going so far as to influence news facts (and public opinion) rather than reporting it. Schechter makes the case that really this was the start of crime as a public media spectacle rather than the foray of criminologists and the law, but it's a point I find hard to credit. Even in the Middle Ages crime -or at least punishment- was a public spectacle and entertainment.

Schechter's research is thorough, and his style as engaging as ever, but this is one of the weaker entries in his oeuvre.

Black House - Stephen King & Peter Straub
    On the advice of Timmer. This sequel to the horror couple's acclaimed (and excellent) The Talisman is far, far darker and grislier than its predecessor. It's main environment is the real world rather than the extra-dimensional The Territories, which is a good thing: it makes the book more than a carbon copy with a now grown-up protagonist.

The story is OK, but -to my mind- FAR to selfreferential to King's The Dark Tower series, which it plays off like some sort of minor spin-off.

Still, it's an entertaining, and at times hair-raising yarn, IF you are able to get by the FAR too long introduction in which there's actually a narrator of sorts (at least the Fourth Wall is breached far too regularly by some unseen and unidentified "director/cameraman" directly addressing the reader in a rather condescending manner), which seriously hampers getting in to the story proper. King's arsenal of horror and terror tricks is starting to get a little stale, but overall it's a worthwhile read, though not an essential one.

Personally I thought the real-life parts of King's Rose Madder and Gerald's Game books were a lot more engrossing.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I haven't read any of the 'Dark Tower' stuff Martijn. In fact, when I read Black House it was after a very long gap of not having read any King for a long time so it probably seemed far fresher to me than it did to yourself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Well, for all my criticism I liked the book well enough. It was a better supernatural thriller than I have read in many a moon, and I liked the no-holds-barred attitude towards its antagonist. This is easily one of the vilest, most despicable villains to pop up in any of King's or Straub's books.