• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    Very true, he totally creeped me out.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Interestingly the link with noted serial killer Albert Fish in the early twenties of the last century struck an additional note with me, as I had just read Deranged -again by Harold Schechter whom I mentioned before- which excellently documents all the circumstances of Albert Fish's murder spree.

He was a very eerie and disturbing character.

So that really helped in characterizing the villain in the book.
    (The Fritz Haarmann reference was good too, but that is a far more notorious case, so was less immeditae to me in characterization).
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited
    It would be hard to think of a more vile and disgusting human being than Albert Fish, the true epitome of the childhood bogieman freezing

Maybe I'll get ahold of Schechter's book, it is the kind of stuff that fascinates me.

My next read ( after I finish Azincourt ) will be Anthony Beevor's D-Day which I've heard is an exceptionally well written account of the Normandy landings.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Maybe I'll get ahold of Schechter's book, it is the kind of stuff that fascinates me.

I generally like most of Schechter's books (also because it's an era that fascinates me), and Deranged (the Albert Fish one) is easily one of his best.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    I've been reading school related stuff only, but during vacation I read some children's books again and I enjoyed it a lot!! This was partly school related too, to get into that age again, but I also did it for fun and fun it was. It's great for adults too.

Plus, it reminds me so much of the time in my life when I had no worries at all, when I could just be a child and read and read. No homework yet, no housework yet, just go to school and have friends and read. Especially in the fall when the days are getting shorter I get this 'with a book on the couch' feeling back. You know, dark outside, heater on, my mom making dinner and I could just read until dinner was ready.

Sigh... now I only read on the bus. At home I only read when there is no work left (both homework and housework) which in the end is never of course.

Anyway, I'm talking about children's books for the ages 9-12. There is some truely great stuff and during vacation I read Polleke (Guus Kuyer) for instance and got some great ideas for lessons out of it too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregje
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2009
    And thanks for the book tips earlier about religion and science and all that. I hope I will find the time soon to read some more...

No, I hope I can manage my time better to have some time left for reading. Because I save all my work till the last moment, I'm never finished with work. Preparing lessons for instance. I wish I could do it at once and then have some free time. Now I'm always busy in my mind with preparing lessons until the last day...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2009
    Continued here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2010
    Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" is my latest book. I'm about a 100 pages into it and it is become riveting. My only drawback is my lack of knowledge of Sweden where it takes place.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2010
    sdtom wrote
    Stieg Larsson's "The Girl With The Dragon Tatoo" is my latest book. I'm about a 100 pages into it and it is become riveting. My only drawback is my lack of knowledge of Sweden where it takes place.
    Thomas

Highly recommend it cheesy
    Tom
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Tom, this thread is closed (and has been for some time). smile

Martijn wrote
    Continued here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    got it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2011
    Interesting at least to me that this thread hasn't been used for 8 months. I got a new book called "Some Like It Wilder," my favorite director. Read the chapter, which is slow reading, about The Lost Weekend and couldn't put it down till I finished it last night.
    Thomas