• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorEnemyToo
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008 edited
    The director of Tootsie and Out of Africa has passed away at the age of 73 of cancer.

So sad, another one of the greats gone.
  1. Hey yeah, he was an actor too huh? In Changing Lanes correct? Damn, he had charisma playing darker roles.

R.I.P.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    That's sad. He didn't make many really good films later in his career, but he made some great ones earlier on. He was a very accomplished actor too (especially in Eyes Wide Shut) - a pity we didn't see him doing it more often.
  2. Sad, very sad. Another burning arrow, then...

>>>--------------------<>
  3. His performances in EYES WIDE SHUT and HUSBANDS AND WIVES stand out to me as two of the better supporting performances from the 90s. He upstages his lead actors not through grandstanding, but just through simply channeling his powers of persuasion into the characters.

One thing I did like about his latter day films, even when they weren't terribly good, he was comfortable taking his time in telling a story. There's a nice gradual rhythm to THE INTERPRETER, RANDOM HEARTS, THE FIRM and others that it's hard to believe a more contemporary director would have brought to the films. I should watch more of his early films - I haven't seen any before TOOTSIE.

It was in his role as producer that I appreciated him most in recent years: HEAVEN, BREAKING AND ENTERING, TALENTED MR RIPLEY, MICHAEL CLAYTON and THE QUIET AMERICAN were not bad films for any producer to have on their resume.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2008
    I hate that disease. With a passion.

Currently I'm giving money to several charities.
    The last couple of months I've been seriously considering pooling everything into cancer-related research. There's SO much more work and research needing to be done. sad
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn