• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. Just in case you have too much money on your hands...

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=255
  2. While the link above needs no explanation, just look at it and go shocked is a pretty normal reaction, I wanted to use this topic to ask who has seen the show and is somewhat a fan of it, be it a little fanboy or huge admirer, it don't matter... I'm not a total convert, but I like BG nonetheless, mainly because it's Science-fiction, my favourite genre, and has all the upsides of any good modern TV show..

I've only seen the 3 hour miniseries and 2 first seasons. I still remember the old show from my childhood and I'm sure I would not like it at all if I should see it again, especially compared it to this re-imagining. For once, Starbuck is a woman, and hard as nails too. And there's some new kind of Cylon which looks, acts, thinks, feels, and fears like a human. Makes for some interesting plot twists... I like how most characters are portrayed by some very talented actors (veterans and newbies) and the way they all have little stories and motivations for what they do on the Battlestar. I've always been fond of Mary McDonnell who plays the newly elected president, who tries to keep the colony together and has to fight off internal as well as external attacks on her policy. The other veteran of the bunch is Edward James Olmos, as Commander Adama and he is a joy to watch, in his most restrained and respectable role I've seen him in. But the younger actors are equally as good, and there's quite some guest starring going on over the course of the various seasons.

Special effects are VERY impressive for a TV show, and the storyline goes far deeper than pilots fighting for humanity's survival, against the dreaded Cylons. In this remake nothing is as clearcut, and the humans are not heroes or all trustworthy... The current series reflects more on human nature in our times than the adventurous heroics of the 70s one. In that way its a much more refreshing and interesting look on current day politics but in a Sci-fi setting that's as detailed as any good film screenplay.

One more mention must go to the show composer Bear McCreary with his rhythms and drums always spicing up the action, and sometimes throwing in a nice tune during a pivotal scene. Much appreciated.

Still looking out to buy season 3 in my country... it looks to be sold out everywhere I look. Aaarghh crazy angry
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    Battlestar Galactica = Great acting, brilliant special effects, good storylines, top notch scoring.

cool cool cool cool cool
  3. I don´t know what to add, since all has been said. Right from the beginning, Galactica jumped from nowhere to the upmost top of my list of favourite shows, and I hope the end of the fourth and final season will live up to the sky-high expectations. What I love most is that the show not only needs for the viewers to follow multiple intertwined plots which get extraordinarily complicated very soon, but that it rewards them with spectacular turns of event, excellent drama, fantastic acting, mind-blowingly complex space battle scenes, a brilliant score, and the ability to constantly turn around your beliefs in whats wrong or right and whether you´re really standing on the good guys´ side.

Absolutely frakking good TV - Highest recommendations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Atham wrote
    Battlestar Galactica = Great acting, brilliant special effects, good storylines, top notch scoring.

cool cool cool cool cool

Damn, i haven't ever watched a single episode and - combined with the fact that i love the scores, you're now making me drool!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  4. Do yourself a favour then and don´t watch an episode that you accidentally might catch somewhere, because you would probably understand not a second from that thing, and you would ruin lots of surprises for you.

Do the right thing, start with the pilot, also called the Mini-Series. It is three hours long (without commercials!), and might seem to drag a bit, which is why you should watch the first episode of season one, "33", right after that, to catch a glimpse of what this series is really capable of.

Enjoy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Sweet. I'll probably do it mid-summer.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  5. Great! Tell us all about it then!

(Yay, another name on the "converted" list...)
  6. Yes, it isn't Star Trek, where you can just pick up any episode. The storyline is too complex and vast, so I totally agree with Ralph. And the mini-series didn't drag on and on... Hell I was totally glued to the screen. I have to watch it again soon, Tommy_boy, you reading this???

I love how the first season ended with this incredible cliffhanger... Man I didn't see that coming! Luckily I didn't have to wait a full year to know what happens next.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    And the mini-series didn't drag on and on... Hell I was totally glued to the screen.

Me too, but I know some people who didn´t make it in one session...

I love how the first season ended with this incredible cliffhanger... Man I didn't see that coming!

Well, who did? I had to search for my missing jaw for an hour after that one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA rocks. It easily became one of my favourite TV shows of all time.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009
    Anyone following the new episodes, that are airing since last week? I found the first very disappointing, but the second took the story up again, leading us into the final 8 episodes of the whole series.

Apparently, there's gonna be a prequel series, about Caprica.
    Kazoo
  8. Yeah, the first one was extremely depressing, but that´s what it wanted to be, and I applaud them for that courage.

And now, with the second one, the story gains momentum like never before. I ´m very excited about the fact that, with all the resolutions we´ve had, there´s no way to tell how the whole damn thing is going to end.

BTW, if you didn´t already, try to catch Bear McCreary´s blog. He goes very deep into analyzing his score and has a lot to tell about the thoughts and creative impulses behind each episode.

http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/

He´ll score Caprica, as well. I´m not quite sure what to expect of that one, but I´ll certainly give it a try.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2009 edited
    Bregt wrote
    Anyone following the new episodes, that are airing since last week? I found the first very disappointing, but the second took the story up again, leading us into the final 8 episodes of the whole series.

Apparently, there's gonna be a prequel series, about Caprica.

Seriously? That 1st episode was mindfrakking! So much revelations, so much new questions that were raised. The second was too slow-paced imho. Huge character development, but little actual happening in it.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  9. Holy! Frak!!!

Last week was already nail-biting business, as we watched the writers placing their pieces on the board.

Now, yesterday´s episode was a grenade going off in all directions, and I LOVED every minute of it!!!

God, I knew they would shred themselves into pieces after what happened two weeks ago, but this is going downhill with the hill being the Himalaya. I can´t wait to see the rest of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009 edited
    OMFG!

After these latest events I have NO idea what´s happening next.

And the clock is slowly ticking. Not many episodes left...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2009
    Somewhere throughout Season Three I shifted my sympathies towards the Cylons anyway, so...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Understandable. ^^ Those humans really knwo how to tear themselves apart, don´t they?

But you are still watching, I hope? If not, you´re missing a helluvalot excitement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Wow. Just wow, those last two episodes. Those writers really know what they're doing.
  10. I´d like to see it more as a trilogy of episodes, the first being a slow, but intense build-up to the events in the last two. It´s the build-up that made those two so great, because this time, it didn´t come out of nowhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    I didn't understood the last scenes of the latest episode. [spoiler]Who is he, and why did it stop? Wtf?[/spoiler]
    Kazoo
  11. [spoiler]Who was who? What do you mean?

And it was the itching in his leg that stopped. That had no real relevance, it was just ironic.
    [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    [spoiler]Gauis knew who Phoenix was? I took that as he really knew the guy, but I don't need to look for more?[/spoiler]
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    [spoiler]His name is Felix! smile And I am sure Gaius just referred to the fact that they both are victims of their own good intentions. As Gaeta, Baltar doesn´t see himself as a bad guy. He knows he´s made terrible mistakes, but he´s the type of guy who just can´t help it. Shit happens. And that´s what happened to Gaeta, too, time and time again. I mean if you think about the fact that Gaeta was nearly executed in Season 3 for collaborating with the Cylons on New Caprica, executed by guys who nearly all turned out to be Cylons, you can´t help but understand why Gaeta has had enough of that crap. This year´s webisodes (The Face of the Enemy) dug further into that matter.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    [spoiler]I like these spoiler tags.
    Couldn't read a damn thing! punk
    [/spoiler]
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Ah. Emoticons aren't spoilered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    If you look really hard, you can read your own spoilers. biggrin Until you write something new, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    [spoiler]Are you serious, Bregt? Gaeta has been in it since the miniseries. And yes, Felix was Gaiius' aid on New Caprica. He's always been an idealist, but finally realised his mistakes.

To put it in Baltar's words: "You're an idealist. There's no sin in that."
    [/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Yes, I know he's playing from the beginning. I just didn't get the last two scenes together, but now I do. Thanks.
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    [spoiler]Well, I think there could even be more to it than that. The webisodes between season 4.0 and 4.5 showed that Felix was homosexual. In his last conversation with Baltar, he sort of mentions (but doesn't say it) that he's always looked up at Baltar. Also, if I'm not mistaking, a couple of episodes ago Baltar said "Felix, your secret's safe with me.", so it's possible Felix admitted his bigger feelings for Baltar during B's presidency. Just my 2 cents. smile[/spoiler]