• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I like the actor. Not too mad about the character (it IS a bit of a one-noter).
    The character I really, really like is Gaeta. Truly excellent character development and SO well acted!

Agree. Gaius is the one character I didn't really care for, before my viewing came to an abrupt end midway through season 3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    DreamTheater wrote
    For me one of the best performed characters is Gaius Baltar, the actor James Callis just puts so much feeling and uncertainty and arrogance in the role that I'm always entertained whenever he pops up on screen. His interactions with the invisible (1) Miss Helfer are a treat to watch. cheesy

(1) You'll know why if you watch the series.

Miss Helfer is always a treat to watch.
  1. applause beer
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. for me Helo's the biggest star, but the passion between Adama and Roslin is unbeatable, this you can't act, you just make it so
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  3. What about Starbuck?
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2009 edited
    I think it´s SO obvious she´s ruled the series from Day One that it doesn´t need to be mentioned any longer.

If this series wouldn´t be called "Battlestar Galactica" but "Lost in Iraq" or something like that, she´d have five Emmys now and would get her sixth soon.

Oh, and Bear would´ve won the last three years in a row, too, and be musical host for the next show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Bregt wrote
    The hardest part is the first half hour of the Miniseries, because it drags a bit, but that's because of all the characters etc. you'll get into it once the ...

+, you'll love the cylon women! wink

Oh really? Caprica in that red dress immediately drew my attention, though, right from the first minute! :P
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  4. Lost in Iraq, lol. They did a lot in the series to refer to reality of their times.
  5. Demetris, you GOT TO watch the series if only to hear the music in context!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What about Starbuck?

Emo b*tch annoys the f*ck out of me.
    Hated the way she ended up too.

Though I do see how the character works within the series, and would appeal to a post-2001 audience, I feel Dirk was spot on all the way.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    I like the actor. Not too mad about the character (it IS a bit of a one-noter).
    The character I really, really like is Gaeta. Truly excellent character development and SO well acted!

Yes! I wish there'd been a bit more room for him and Dualla to grow as characters in the series. Zarek too. They only really started to use Zarek to his potential in the last stretch.

Baltar did have a great character progression in the third season. The journey from his Six-fuelled paranoia at the start of things to his scene with Gaeta when he's returned to the fleet in the middle of the third season is a nice character shift. The way he ultimately loses his fear: great. What didn't work for me from that point on was that they gave him back his fears pretty soon, and then positioned him in a harem that was far too close to parody for my liking.

But he did have two fine scenes in the last season. *SPOILER* One - his confession to Roslin during the Hub assault that he did aid the cylon attack on Caprica. Two - his brief response to Gaeta's final monologue in 'Blood on the Scales': "I know who you are." *END SPOILER*

I do think they let the ball drop with Tigh, particularly towards the end. Everything was going so well... even through the discovery at the end of the third season.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2009
    Martijn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote
    What about Starbuck?

Emo b*tch annoys the f*ck out of me.
    Hated the way she ended up too.

She annoyed me too. We get it, you have an attitude. Good for you! slant

I always liked Helo. He wasn't the most interesting character in terms of development, but he was a rock throughout the four series. He was one of the few characters who didn't throw hissy fits and had a real sense of nobility about him. In terms of development, I liked Tai's character. He became more likable in the end, and I really liked his loyalty to Adama and of course their relationship throughout. Those scenes where Adama had to come to terms with [spoiler] his best friend being a Cylon [/spoiler] were great to watch.

I'm just glad I have a new series to watch in Battlestar Galactica's stead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    I think it´s SO obvious she´s ruled the series from Day One that it doesn´t need to be mentioned any longer.

If this series wouldn´t be called "Battlestar Galactica" but "Lost in Iraq" or something like that, she´d have five Emmys now and would get her sixth soon.

Oh, and Bear would´ve won the last three years in a row, too, and be musical host for the next show.

Spot on Ralph! So true!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Sci-fi unfortunately tends to get shunned by studios and awards. I don't think there nearly enough proper sci-fi films being made these days (and by proper, I mean spaceships and evil aliens and rayguns and spacepirates and warp drives).
  7. Much to my own disappointment Steven. I love sci-fi, especially the ones with big guns and explosions.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2009
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Christodoulides wrote
    No, you misunderstood; the prospect of a movie, sounds crap to me; for both bsg and lost.

okay, no harm there

but watch the series Battlestar Galactica, you'd be surprised how much you'll like it

I am sure i will; i watched snippets and - esp. combined with the brilliant music, which in every case is a big bias factor for me, it seems exactly like the kind of stuff i'd enjoy; hope i find some extra time for the series this year.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Sci-fi unfortunately tends to get shunned by studios and awards. I don't think there nearly enough proper sci-fi films being made these days (and by proper, I mean spaceships and evil aliens and rayguns and spacepirates and warp drives).

Like every other genre out there these days it seems wink

PawelStroinski wrote
    What about Starbuck?

Who is that? Any photos of the emo-bitch?
  8. I like Starbuck... she is just the perfect blend of tough as nails, and oversensitive.

Does that make me emo?

Or just plain weird? dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I just regretted google-imaging her.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Why?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    'Cause of the resulting spectacle, my friend!
  9. Christodoulides wrote
    'Cause of the resulting spectacle, my friend!

you'd be surprised how she transforms from a gun ho girl in the first episodes to a really cute girl in the second and third season wink
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, I'd be surprised too.
    And I actually saw the show!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  10. Guys, is it okay to watch BSG: Razor in between seasons 3 and 4? I'm just finishing up S3 and getting ready for S4 (which I have not seen one single minute of, and glad too). I'm really wondering how this megafantabulous show's going to end.

Razor's just a side-story of the Pegasus arc right?
  11. It wouldn't really make a difference, since RAZOR is the first two episodes of season 4. If you watched it between 3 and 4, you'd be watching it at the right time.
  12. What I don't get it confused Is Razor the opening two episodes of S4? The way you put it is confusing. dizzy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    What I don't get it confused Is Razor the opening two episodes of S4? The way you put it is confusing. dizzy

No, it's a separate movie that leads into season 4, it isn't necessary to watch it to carry on with the story.
  13. Ah thanks a lot Steven.

On a sidenote this is my second viewing of all 3 seasons and I must say I've enjoyed this show a lot more this time around. I personally like the more character-driven episodes where people are confronted with the very same problems we as a species get to struggle with in these troubled times. Or the ones where the script is focusing on 2-3 characters. Every character gets its time in the spotlights. One of the strong points of this show is how episode feels contained and ends appropriately but always feels like a part of the overall storyline. So not every episode is gripping but each one is necessary to get the epic and personal substories of the BSG universe across. It's after all a very human story, and the good vs. bad side is explored very elaborately without picking sides... that's up to the audience.

It may be a sci-fi show, but only on the outside.

The movie will have to be something exceptionally good to even be a match for this series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009 edited
    It is very much a sci-fi show, just that the science is not the usual one (natural or technical), but social, religious, and political (as much as, for example, 1984 has been). It is a fiction about how people deal with extreme social, political, and religious changes. If you keep that in mind, it´s one of the best science fiction series ever told on TV. It hust happens to be set in space, which adds a lot of fantasy, and a little bit of astrophysics and technical science.

Regarding Razor, it is actually set between episodes 2.17 and 2.18, just after Lee Adama gets promoted to Commander of the Pegasus. It flashes back a lot from then, but the main story arc is set at the end of 2nd season, before the discovery of New Caprica. The reason for it being officially sorted at the beginning of Season 4 is its production number and because it was produced before season 4. That´s all. It even has a recap that plays scenes only up to 2.17. One could argue that some of the events are a bit of foreshadowing about later events, but it really doesn´t make any difference whether you see them sooner or later, so I would always suggest to watch the movie after 2.17.
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    What I don't get it confused Is Razor the opening two episodes of S4? The way you put it is confusing. dizzy

It was the first two episodes on my season 4 dvd. I guess what I was meaning was that if you see RAZOR between season 3 and season 4, that's when most people saw it anyway.