• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2009 edited
    It can be quite confusing to get the context of the movie if you see it between seasons 3 and 4 because it´s obviously told from a point in time way back in season 2, and you might having trouble remembering what happened around that point. Since the movie has a lot of flashbacks and jumps around in time quite often, that can be confusing enough. Watching it between season 3 and 4 might confuse the hell out of you. I mean, I´ve seen the series three times now and still had difficulties with one or two details in the movie. So it really helps to watch it where it belongs, between 2.17 and 2.18.
  1. franz_conrad wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    What I don't get it confused Is Razor the opening two episodes of S4? The way you put it is confusing. dizzy

It was the first two episodes on my season 4 dvd. I guess what I was meaning was that if you see RAZOR between season 3 and season 4, that's when most people saw it anyway.

Ah gotcha. I have it on a separate DVD released as a film without any sort of reference to S4.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  2. So, I'm a little behind here. My wife and I just checked out season 1 of BSG and we're through the mini-series and the first four episodes. Is the first part of this show indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the series? So far we've not been very impressed by the story, or the characters. I have yet to actually care about anyone. Many episodes seem to invent new characters, but just for that one episode. I've heard so many good things about this show, so maybe I got my hopes up, but after watch season four of Lost, BSG is really just okay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009 edited
    Blimey, a new contender for the Top Ten Most Shocking Opinions from Main Titles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2009
    christopher wrote
    So, I'm a little behind here. My wife and I just checked out season 1 of BSG and we're through the mini-series and the first four episodes. Is the first part of this show indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the series? So far we've not been very impressed by the story, or the characters. I have yet to actually care about anyone. Many episodes seem to invent new characters, but just for that one episode. I've heard so many good things about this show, so maybe I got my hopes up, but after watch season four of Lost, BSG is really just okay.

Well, if you were expecting a lot of crash-boom-bang sci fi histrionics, you won't find it here. Sure, there's the occassional action piece, but for the most part this is pure character drama that happens to be set in a sci fi setting. For the most part, that's what makes it so good, but even I have to admit that in the last season (or next-to-last, I can't remember), it got overly talkative and boring at times.

Still, the scope of thematics - from politics to philosophy to religion to human psychology to ethics to what-have-you - is quite astounding. And to do so in an engaging fashion.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Thor - Did you watch the complete 4 seasons or just watch 12 episodes here and there out of chronological order for maximum view pleasure. wink

Sorry - that was too tempting not to post

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Erik Woods wrote
    Thor - Did you watch the complete 4 seasons or just watch 12 episodes here and there out of chronological order for maximum view pleasure. wink

-Erik-

biggrin You evil b!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  3. christopher wrote
    So, I'm a little behind here. My wife and I just checked out season 1 of BSG and we're through the mini-series and the first four episodes. Is the first part of this show indicative of what we can expect for the rest of the series? So far we've not been very impressed by the story, or the characters. I have yet to actually care about anyone. Many episodes seem to invent new characters, but just for that one episode. I've heard so many good things about this show, so maybe I got my hopes up, but after watch season four of Lost, BSG is really just okay.

I think if you didn't like the first four episodes, then all you're really missing is the mystical stuff that ultimately became the show's dominant factor in its final series. Personally those episodes were among the very best for me, and I was only occasionally reminded of them in the final half season.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Erik Woods wrote

-Erik-

Why you... wink <-- incidentally, that's Norway's new "knowledge minister", announced today.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    Steven wrote
    Blimey, a new contender for the Top Ten Most Shocking Opinions from Main Titles.

I'd like to read the other 9 smile I take it you wildly disagree with me on BSG. That's fine. Let me lay out some of the problems I've had with it.

First, the whole premise is a little off. Earth is supposed to be a group of these people who went off and were never heard from again? Then why the similarities between us and them? There are so many things in this show that I would say are parts of earth life. Their society is just too much like ours for me to believe. They play poker, though they call a few things by different names. They apparently developed cigars just like us. They used nukes, and call them that. They use dry erase markers. It's going to take something a little more original than octogonal paper and a different F word for me to believe that their society didn't come from ours. Maybe I'll learn later than all them did descend from earthlings, then all that would be explained to some extent.

Second, the technology doesn't match up. We've got space craft and huge beautiful cities, but we're keeping track of the number of living humans on a white board?

Third, the characters are one dimensional. An old, tired captain that believes in the military more than anything. The XO seems to be nothing more than experienced and mean. Kara is just a butch girl with a chip on her shoulder. Apollo is perfect, and usually angry about something. The Dr. is selfish. None of these characters are likable.

Fourth, the writing is convenient. The conflict in the first episode after the miniseries was whether to blow up one of their own ships. They try to make this really dramatic, but this is a ship with no one on it that we know, and about which we've never heard until this episode. I didn't care about that ship, and wasn't really convinced that Apollo or Commander Adama (sp?) cared about it either. The writers wanted Kara to become a flight instructor. Rather than just making her that, they kill 13 pilots with some random accident. What was the point of that? I didn't care about any of those pilots (only one had ever been mentioned by name, and that only in the previous episode), so any dramatic effect they were going for was lost completely.

Fifth, this show seems to value rebellious and top gun attitude above all else. Nobody does what they should. Every episode involves someone breaking protocol or disobeying a superior, but every time things work out for the better because of it. I wonder why anyone even bothers giving orders anymore.

See where I'm coming from?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    christopher wrote
    It's going to take something a little more original than octogonal paper and a different F word for me to believe that their society didn't come from ours. Maybe I'll learn later than all them did descend from earthlings, then all that would be explained to some extent.

I'm not going to give anything away, but YES - I can promise you that ALL will be explained in the end. Well, almost everything. There are some minor things that are open to interpretation even after the very last episode and that I believe I talked about earlier in this thread (but don't look at that now!).

As for the characters, I urge you to continue watching for a while. They become far more nuanced eventually, with more and more layers as you move along - for better or worse.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorchristopher
    I'm glad to hear it. Thanks, Thor.
  4. The show gets better even if the mini-series and opening episodes don't hook you... you will eventually get to care for some of the characters. The acting is really spot on for this series, subtle and emotional, without going overboard (Edward James Olmos, Mary McDonnell, James Callis, Jamie Bamber, Tahmoh Penikett, Grace Park, Katee Sackhoff are all great IMO).

If the S1 finale doesn't want to make you watch the rest of the show I don't know what will !!!

Just started S4 and I hope the quality maintains for the rest of the season.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  5. So far S4 is gripping to say the least... I'm just before the episode 'Revelations' and I haven't seen an episode yet that bored me or was mediocre. Truly quality writing. It just moves at three times the speed the third season did. If S3 was the talky season, S4 is definitely the cliffy season (as in cliffhanger-tastic). There are already more twists here than in the first 3 seasons combined. Can't wait to see the rest ! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009
    Christophe, if you're watching the show for a huge pay-off at the end, you will be bitterly disappointed.

However, if you're watching the show as a showcase for the human condition in the most adverse circumstances, with very raw emotions in the direst of situations, powerful and at times disturbing character development, some serious issues and questions surrounding leadership, religion and politics, some truly excellent multiple-episode plot lines and some of the best damn special effects on TV ever, than this will be your cup of tea for sure!
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  6. Martijn wrote
    Christophe,
    Uhm what? Who??? confused Get your facts straight biggrin

if you're watching the show for a huge pay-off at the end, you will be bitterly disappointed.
    I'm not expecting this as this show is not about the spectacle or Star Warsy adventure.

However, if you're watching the show as a showcase for the human condition in the most adverse circumstances, with very raw emotions in the direst of situations, powerful and at times disturbing character development, some serious issues and questions surrounding leadership, religion and politics, some truly excellent multiple-episode plot lines and some of the best damn special effects on TV ever, than this will be your cup of tea for sure!

More like this. I'm loving it for the intertwining character relations and powerful human drama.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    biggrin

Confusion at MT. Who'd a thunk it!?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christophe,

Yes, apparently I mistyped and left the end -r off.
    I can where that would cause confusion, mayhem, madness, traffic jams, major economic collapse in industrial countries, deforestation on a scale unparaleled and meteorite strikes in Latvia.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  7. Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Christophe,

Yes, apparently I mistyped and left the end -r off.
    I can where that would cause confusion, mayhem, madness, traffic jams, major economic collapse in industrial countries, deforestation on a scale unparaleled and meteorite strikes in Latvia.

face-palm-mt

did I mention:

face-palm-mt

in case you missed it:

face-palm-mt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    No need to be embarrassed, dear boy. Anyone can make a mistake. smile
  8. That's not a mistake that's a major boo-boo. angry

I'm not even remotely resembling Chris, Christophe, Christopher, Christian, Chr.... etc.

tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    No need to be embarrassed, dear boy. Anyone can make a mistake. smile

Pft, you're the worse meany ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    DreamTheater wrote
    I'm not even remotely resembling Chris, Christophe, Christopher, Christian, Chr.... etc.

Excellent, excellent.
    I am most relieved to hear identity crises are no longer of any concern.

Thusly you nor I will need to worry about you feeling the need to respond to any posts I will direct to another person by -for instance- referring to him or her by his or her first name, which does not resemble yours in any way, shape or form.
    Truly, I feel we've made progress!
    punk
  9. You know your posts always make me a little cross-eyed. You do it on purpose.

Just call me DT, simple enough no?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure, Gilles.
    I mean DreamTheatre.
    Theater.
    DT, I mean.

Aw jeez, can't I just call you christopher to avoid confusion?
  10. lol

You Willempje may call me Christophe from now on! Agreed. beer
  11. I've lost all sense of what topic is about. crazy

Willempje is toch zo'n geinige gozer (dutch enough?).
  12. Revelations

omg shocked omg shocked omg

Single most frakking brilliant episode until now... I was in tears !

The follow-up episode was equally fantastic, yet the feel of it was the total opposite.
  13. To go right back to the beginning...I see that next week Sci-Fi Channel in the UK are screening the mini-series that began the new Battlestar Galactica. I'm hoping that they are going to give a regular slot to repeating the whole lot.

I've been waiting to give this a go right from the beginning.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  14. DreamTheater wrote
    Revelations

omg shocked omg shocked omg

Single most frakking brilliant episode until now... I was in tears !

The follow-up episode was equally fantastic, yet the feel of it was the total opposite.

Quite a ride, wasn´t it?

One hint: Plan ahead to have sufficient time to watch "The Oath" and "Blood on the Scales" back to back, you will need it. And also try to watch "Daybreak" in one session, too, since Part 1 is NOT a standalone episode, but only the first third of the story. SyFy really messed up by showing the finale as a two-parter.