• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    I prefer a mix to lean towards the dramatic rather than the spectacular myself (to avoid Buck Rogers banalities).

Well, that depends on how you define 'spectacular'. Personally, I hate it whenever film (or TV) is basically replicating a BOOK. Film and TV as media can do so much more than just relate dialogue or verbal information; there are many things to be done in audiovisual terms other than to degrade oneself into "Buck Roger banalities". Or in other words - there can be just as much "intelligence" and drama in various tableaux than it can in a 20-minute dialogue.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009
    Sure!
    But it's not one or the other for me: the point I was trying to make is that I enjoy the mix.
    Yet if it looks good , but falls flat dramatically (limiting myself to sci-fi: e.g. the "old" Battlestar Galactica, or latterday Andromeda) it will hold my attention far less raptly than the other way around (e.g. a lot of the original Star trek run, or Blake's 7)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    Sure!
    But it's not one or the other for me: the point I was trying to make is that I enjoy the mix.
    Yet if it looks good , but falls flat dramatically (limiting myself to sci-fi: e.g. the "old" Battlestar Galactica, or latterday Andromeda) it will hold my attention far less raptly than the other way around (e.g. a lot of the original Star trek run, or Blake's 7)

I'm not familiar with those old series, but BABYLON 5 is IMO a great example of how to do this mix properly. There's the myth, the politics, the characters and the "aura" of the place all combined into one; only very rarely did it bore. In this case, this was not so much due to the visuals (which were quite crude at times, and severely limited), but of action-driven dialogue, the right mix of plotlines etc. BSG often DWELLED a little too long on things, almost as if the writers were showing off how clever they were in writing dialogue. Of course, what BSG has in advantage over B5 is the VERISIMILITUDE...it's not "pointy ear sci fi", as I like to call it. And that's such a strong advantage that it MAY in some instances cover up the fact that it's a bit boring and the words are a bit too high and mighty and lofty....like your average Obama speech! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  1. Rookie Alert here,

I've just begon to explore Battlestar Galactica Season 1
    I'm through 6 episodes + of course the pilot and I'm really beginning to enjoy this series smile

So far, latest is the tribunal interrogations surrounding the bom explosion

And when she asks why Adama allows a relationship between two of his crew members despite it being against the law, his answer is classic

I'm a soft touch cool

Man, the way he said it, classic genius biggrin punk
    Cool characters, I'm really beginning to like em smile
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
  2. I'm gonna start with the series soon.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  3. Thomas Glorieux wrote
    Rookie Alert here,

I've just begon to explore Battlestar Galactica Season 1
    I'm through 6 episodes + of course the pilot and I'm really beginning to enjoy this series smile

So far, latest is the tribunal interrogations surrounding the bom explosion

And when she asks why Adama allows a relationship between two of his crew members despite it being against the law, his answer is classic

I'm a soft touch cool

Man, the way he said it, classic genius biggrin punk
    Cool characters, I'm really beginning to like em smile

You'll learn to love some of them.
    You'll learn to hate some of them.

Just like in real life.

The powerful human drama and character relationships are what make BSG so frakkin' awesome!!!!

OH AND I WANT SEASON 4 ON DVD NOW

To the freaks out there: Is Razor worth it? It's about the Pegasus right? I loved those episodes, shame there wasn't more of them.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. Razor is frakkingly brilliant, if you ask me, but everybody knows I like everything, so there you go.

Between us, its main arc happens right after 2.17, but there are lots of flashbacks reaching back further than you might expect. It has some nice action, some great effect scenes, and introduces a nice new character which fits perfectly into the whole story (as a matter of fact, the whole movie plays out from her point of view). That combined with a great score by Bear McCreary should sell it to you. But try to get your hands on the DVD version which has a couple of additional minutes that you don´t want to miss, believe me.
  5. yeah, what's with that word frackin? rolleyes

I can understand they can't say shit or fuck, but it feels still lame in some situations smile
  6. I don't think it's lame, it actually has the same powerful and vulgar ring to saying that other f...k word without actually saying it, and thus nicely avoiding the censorship board and other hypocrites that like to banish these so-called obscenities from our world. There's nothing wrong with swearing once in a while!!! Bregt where is the :fuck: smilie? I think this would be quite popular here. tongue

Oh and Ralph I think I may just check out the DVD of it... Thanks again. wink
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  7. DreamTheater wrote
    I don't think it's lame, it actually has the same powerful and vulgar ring to saying that other f...k word without actually saying it, and thus nicely avoiding the censorship board and other hypocrites that like to banish these so-called obscenities from our world. There's nothing wrong with swearing once in a while!!! Bregt where is the :fuck: smilie? I think this would be quite popular here. tongue

Oh and Ralph I think I may just check out the DVD of it... Thanks again. wink

well at times it works really well, and the fact I'm getting used to it smile
    Still, there are times I say to myself, here we go fracking again wink
  8. PawelStroinski wrote
    I'm gonna start with the series soon.

I keep wanting to start watching Battlestar Galactica from the beginning but the thought of all those episodes and additional "specials" is so daunting!!

I'm having trouble enough trying to find time getting through the 4-disc set of Firefly just so I can watch Serenity!
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009
    Firefly was a wonderful show on the most part.
    But Battlestar is king as far as I see things.
    So rich on so very many levels!
    I wont add to all the specific praise points previously written on this thread.
    Just watch it. You wont regret it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

I keep wanting to start watching Battlestar Galactica from the beginning but the thought of all those episodes and additional "specials" is so daunting!!

I'm having trouble enough trying to find time getting through the 4-disc set of Firefly just so I can watch Serenity!

So take your time!
    Nobody's forcing you to watch a disk a day!

I kinda like the fact there's some series waiting for me. It's something to look forward to!
    Just four more episodes from Galactica to go and I'm done...and then there's still 5 and a half seasons of The Sopranos, 5 seasons of Six Feet Under, two seasons of Rome and three seasons of The Wire awaiting!
    I could cut my cable now and still happily be watching TV for two years! smile

Oh, and Thomas, be thankful they went for "frak" rather than the Old Skool Galactican "felgerkarb" ...
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote

Having trouble because you don't like it or because of a lack of time? Because if it's the former, I will have to come and visit you with my 5 iron.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Oh, and I never watched Firefly, but I enjoyed the heck out of Serenity, so don't feel compelled to watch the series first, if that's the bottleneck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Martijn wrote
    Oh, and I never watched Firefly, but I enjoyed the heck out of Serenity, so don't feel compelled to watch the series first, if that's the bottleneck.

The series is better IMO. More heart, more humour and dare I say it more soul. Sometimes the production values are bit a rough around the edges, like the music (which is crap) and some of the costume design for example, but it has some excellent stories and typically witty humour for a Joss Whedom series. I couldn't recommend it enough, and that fact that you enjoyed the heck out of Serenity is surely a reason to watch the series!? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Sure I will!
    The only reason I hadn't yet was that basically I forgot all about it until I happened to catch a bit of Serenity on TV last night. smile

But I know Firefly got more than just a cult following, so I'm sure to get that at some point (but like I said: I still got two years worth of series lined up, so I'm in no particular rush. )

Getting back on track: with just five episodes to go, I'm not overly impressed with the final season's second half so far. Even though the desperation and hopelessness having set in after episode 10's devastating discovery are very realistic, many of the characters' actions seem plot-motivated more than really believable.

Well. It's still a superior show, and I'm not bored or annoyed, so that's already excellent (for example in the first four episodes of The Wire, which is universally lauded as being the best thing to happen to TV since Hillstreet Blues, there are a number of scenes which -although the pundits are falling over each other burning frankincense over the scripts- are so uterly unrealistic they're honestly annoying).
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm one to talk really, I've yet to see Battlestar Galactica. shame (I too will get round to it though.)
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Steven wrote
    I'm one to talk really, I've yet to see Battlestar Galactica. shame (I too will get round to it though.)

Me too Steven. I thought the two episodes I caught by accident looked exceptional so I'm looking forward to seeing the full series.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

So take your time!
    Nobody's forcing you to watch a disk a day!

I kinda like the fact there's some series waiting for me. It's something to look forward to!
    Just four more episodes from Galactica to go and I'm done...and then there's still 5 and a half seasons of The Sopranos, 5 seasons of Six Feet Under, two seasons of Rome and three seasons of The Wire awaiting!
    I could cut my cable now and still happily be watching TV for two years! smile

Oh, and Thomas, be thankful they went for "frak" rather than the Old Skool Galactican "felgerkarb" ...

Wow! That's some fantastic viewing to catch up on. cool beer

Re : THE WIRE

What was the "utterly unrealistic" scene(s) you were referring to? I think the seies is brilliant though not to the 'best thing since sliced bread' extent that many critics have heaped upon this show.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2009 edited
    Timmer wrote
    What was the "utterly unrealistic" scene(s) you were referring to?

My main beef was in episode three or four of the first series with the scene in which the really fat "Norm" like detective comes into the major's office to try and get McNulty re-instated (who had been on detach), and starts some really awkward story to the major about him jerking off to ease into it!

I've been in many different "all guy" situations, work-related and otherwise, and I can tell you for a fact that guys do NOT talk that way. I wouldn't have minded as much if the series hadn't been lauded so opulently for its "stark realism".

There are some additional little gripes, but this one really annoyed me.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I see what you mean even though I don't remember the episode clearly. The problem with any show labelled as "real" is that any scene that misfires is going to stand out. Still, it's a brilliant series.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Thomas Glorieux wrote
    yeah, what's with that word frackin? rolleyes

I can understand they can't say shit or fuck, but it feels still lame in some situations smile

It's funny most of the times... you motherfrakker! spin
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
  9. Martijn wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    PawelStroinski wrote

Oh, I didn't know this was an inside joke to the older series, I thought it was just a way to say something insulting without being insulting

Thanks for claryfying the matter beer
  10. So, I ended up seeing the finale...

* SPOILERS *

Look, it's their show, and it's up to them how they want to end it. But I can't overlook the fact that the last time this show really moved me was when Baltar said to Gaeta at the end of 'Blood on the Scales': "I know who you are." Given the way this finale was mostly about character moments, I find that dismaying. There were some touching moments - Adama's final beat on the hillside, Lee's final words to Kara, Kara's farewell to Anders. But very few escaped the feeling for me of constructed resolutions. Sometimes the writers have managed to make themselves invisible in the scripts they've written. 'Daybreak' wasn't a shining example of their ability to do that.

Greatest shame for me? The end of all mysteries. I feel like a flashlight was shone in every corner of this universe, resolving every single point. I would have much rather had an ending that kept me trying to figure out what it meant. People may insist that ambiguities abound in the answering of the key questions, but I beg to differ. If the most ambiguous resolution was the answer to 'what about Starbuck?' then ambiguity was in short supply. They answered that question very clearly.

When I think of my favourite sci-fi ... 2001, Solaris (both films), Stalker, the novel of The Glamour (or its cousin, The Affirmation), La Jetee, Brazil, Bladerunner... so many of them choose to deepen the mystery, satisfying their audience in some ways, and presenting them with deeper mysteries to resolve. It's not the only way to end, but for a certain sort of project, where the appeal of the whole thing is because of the mysteries, I feel it's the only sensible way to end.

The Opera House resolution was clever on one level, and allowed McCreary to return to his most compelling theme for the show, but was unavoidably disappointing for me on another. The scene is about getting Hera to CIC. It's so functional a purpose that the characters are serving in this scene - almost literally moving the scenery into place for a showdown between Cavill and everyone else - that the 3 season-long anticipation of it feels incredibly misjudged. The answer is simply not proportional to the size of the question. It suggests to me that they didn't know what they were setting up when Head Six showed Baltar the Opera House at the end of season 1. While I have to admit there's a certain amount of cleverness in the way they slotted the Opera House into 'Daybreak' (non-literal thinking), it feels more clever than satisfying to me.

The Epilogue. Great to hear 'One Year Later' in an updated form, but the campy performances of Callis and Heffler as Head Six and Head Baltar just kill this for me. Hammering home points seemed to be the order of the day in this final episode. Clearly identifying a God/It. Verbally scrolling through the history of the human race (and accidentally limiting our imagination by implying that Kobol was where it all started, when a more compelling suggestion might have been that Kobol was at one point also a 'new beginning'). Asking out aloud - 'does all of this need to happen again?' (How stupid did they think the audience was that this needed to be pointed out?)

Some of the flashbacks were better than others. The Best: Kara and Lee on the table. The Worst: Saul and Ellen in the strip bar.

But there was some very good stuff in Season 4 overall. Gaeta's arc over the season was one of the best, I thought. The arrival at the original Earth and subsequent disappointment was perhaps the season's finest hour. It was good to see Admiral Cain again, though I wish they'd done more with her when they'd had the chance. For those who wanted battles, the opening of 'He that believeth in me' and the battle of 'The Hub' were both very satisfying, and I only wish that for all its effects budget, the final battle of 'Daybreak' had felt as consequential as either of them. My reservations are more scrupulously documented in an earlier post.

Of course, I look forward to hearing the music of the finale in isolation.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2009 edited
    Excellent thoughts, franz. I definitely agree with you in that the Hera/CIC plotline was not proportionate with the mythic scale of the Opera House set-up.

I have some other points regarding the final as well, and here's the post I made in the BATTLESTAR GALACTICA finale thread over at FSM:

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

"I just saw the finale myself (although the 4th season hasn't even BEGUN on Norwegian TV yet).

I really liked it, almost RETURN OF THE KING-like in how the epilogue was drawn out to untie all knots. However, a bunch of questions still remain:

- If Starbuck was an angel like the Gaius and Caprica angels, then why was she visible; "real" to everyone?
    - Did we ever get to know why Starbuck was considered an "harbinger of death for all mankind"? It wasn't her that blew up the first Earth, after all.
    - The hybrid child - was her only narrative purpose to put the melody that all the original Cylons heard into NOTES so that Starbuck could use them as the jump code? Was that all there was to the "Saviour of Mankind"?
    - Why is it considered a "final farewell" when Adama and the President leave to see the wildlife "up close"? After all, he still has the ship to visit his son and anyone else, if he wants to?
    - Am I to believe that they landed on OUR Earth 150.000 years ago and that they encountered our own species, appr. 50.000 years old at the time? What was that earlier Earth all about, then? A parallell universe!?!

Overall, this was a superb show with lots of nerve and character development. Perhaps a bit TOO talkative with lots of big, lofty words in the episodes leading up to the finale, but I can live with that. It will certainly stand as a landmark, intelligently written sci fi series, much like BABYLON 5 was in the last decade - but perhaps with even wider appeal.

By the way, did everyone notice Stu Philipp's original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA theme being played as the fleet was steered into the sun?"
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009
    Thor wrote

I really liked it, almost RETURN OF THE KING-like in how the epilogue was drawn out to untie all knots. However, a bunch of questions still remain:

- Am I to believe that they landed on OUR Earth 150.000 years ago and that they encountered our own species, appr. 50.000 years old at the time? What was that earlier Earth all about, then? A parallell universe!?!

Overall, this was a superb show with lots of nerve and character development. Perhaps a bit TOO talkative with lots of big, lofty words in the episodes leading up to the finale, but I can live with that. It will certainly stand as a landmark, intelligently written sci fi series, much like BABYLON 5 was in the last decade - but perhaps with even wider appeal.

By the way, did everyone notice Stu Philipp's original BATTLESTAR GALACTICA theme being played as the fleet was steered into the sun?"

I thought of Return Of The King when I saw it too. Multiple endings galore!
    Indeed Babylon 5 was a landmark series. Such a massive show!
    Great to hear the Stu Phillips theme return in that scene. Thats the fourth time Bear has incorporated that tune into the show. McCreary's score shines brighter than ever in the finale!

Oh, and the first Earth you asked about was simply the home of the thirteenth tribe which was Cylon. A place that Galactica and the Cylons "had to see" before Kara leads them to our Earth.
    All part of the "big plan" that "God" (not that he likes to be called that) had from the beginning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzirael
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote

SPOILERS AHEAD!!

- Did we ever get to know why Starbuck was considered an "harbinger of death for all mankind"? It wasn't her that blew up the first Earth, after all.
    - The hybrid child - was her only narrative purpose to put the melody that all the original Cylons heard into NOTES so that Starbuck could use them as the jump code? Was that all there was to the "Saviour of Mankind"?

SPOILERS AHEAD!

I figure that the baseship hybrids see multiple futures/possibilities and their prophetic visions aren't completely accurate. When Kara's ship crashed, it could have wiped out everyone. wink

The human/cylon child was mitochondrial Eve, the matrilineal most recent common ancestor for all humans so she was pretty important. I love how we're all part Cylon.

I didn't like the ending set in the modern world with the first Gaius and Six walking around - it disrupted the flow too much. Otherwise, I was very satisfied with how the series was wrapped up and enjoyed the suspense in the CIC sequence edited with the Opera House flashbacks.
  11. I read Bear Mccreary's notes on scoring the finale episode over the weekend. Once again, he does a wonderful job of giving viewers insight into his decisions and process. I particularly respect that he and other producers put in money in order to afford the orchestral sessions required for the finale.

** SPOILER **

However there is a little point that I thought allowed for an interesting observation... "Apollo commands the Marines to repel down into the colony, and a solo duduk states the Lee Theme, the only place I found for it in the episode."

That's interesting. The theme of a major character. A theme that has tended to represent his idealist/cynic divided mind very well, and has often appeared when he's faced with the choice of doing (to use Roslin's words) the right thing or the smart thing. (E.g. destruction of the Olympic Carrier, investigation of the Black Market) It's a theme of pathos, etc.

Why I find that interesting is that I hear a lot of talk about how every narrative/creative decision in the finale was justified by the 'it's really about the characters'. How is it then that the only place to put a particular character theme actually was a moment when nothing was actually going on with the character? Maybe McCreary has unintentionally given us a clue that there wasn't that much about the characters, particularly once you get past the flashbacks.

Take Apollo. For 4 seasons, there's been this tension between him and all around him - his father, Tigh, eventually Roslin - about the role of ideals in their survival. Where was this character trait - his defining character trait - explored in Daybreak? His one big decision - the decision to abandon technology - rather than approached with anything like the hand-wringing of every other major political decision in the last 4 seasons, prompted no self-reflection, and met no opposition. It is a shame that in the end, the only thing they were prepared to take time with was Apollo's feelings about Kara, because there used to be more to the character than that one idea.

Or we might look at Roslin. Her three main character traits in the series: (i) coming to terms with dying / not dying; (ii) being a leader the last remains of the human race, dealing with blend of democracy and military autocracy required by that (her 'tough' streak comes into this); (iii) resolving the role of her visions (snakes, opera house) & the prophecies (dying leader) in her life. Obviously the Opera House made an appearance in the finale, although the character in no way reflected on it.... But what precisely was she there for other than that? What decisions did she make? Since the only real character trait she'd shown in the episodes leading up to the finale was drawing closer to Bill Adama, did we even get a moment with her before she died where we just looked at Bill through her eyes / over her shoulder? No, her final scenes are mostly told outside of her perspective.

Or we might look at Tigh. Some of the major character traits... (i) loyalty to Adama; (ii) seniority of rank but poor personality for governance; (iii) a cylon that thought he was human for a long time, and wanted to still be human; (iv) contempt for civillians and obstruction; (v) love for Ellen. Certainly NONE of those came into question in the finale. From Tigh's perspective, his character's end was surprisingly passive.
    (And I do find it funny that Tigh's last remark to Galen was something goes along the lines of - 'I would have done the same thing (as Galen did to Tory) if someone had done that to Ellen.' Oh, the irony.)

I'm not saying the finale was devoid of character moments, but it certainly was pretty sparse on character choices, especially when you consider the history of the characters on the show. The finale was less about the characters than I think people are prepared to admit. What it was not short on was melodrama - with death-bed scenes, unrequited love, tearful farewells, unexpected farewells, romantic longing, Boomer switching sides and being killed by Athena.... For a certain sort of viewer, there was plenty to enjoy. (Including the music, which was generally excellent.)
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2009 edited
    Wrapped up the series this weekend.
    First of all: I enjoyed the series and the story arc as a whole.
    I do agree though with many that the series was on the talkative side, and the heavyhanded esoteric mysticism did not only bog many an episode down, but many a time was downright annoying.

Franz is very right when he says not every detail needs to be explained (it's nice having some mystery left in the Universe, and this is something that for example Babylon 5 did to perfection), but I was annoyed by the unevenness of the unexplained: just throwing out plot devices to further the drama, and then "explaining" them away by being the will of God is just a cop-out in my opinion.

I'm perfectly happy for Kara being a ghost/angel/guiding light, but if she exploded, how did she arrive on Earth? And if she arrived on Earth, why would God go through all the trouble creating a space ship with some hidden code to bring them to the wrong place and send it back months later?
    To quote a famous starship captain: "what does God need with a spaceship"?

I won't even go into the whole schizophrenic Baltar/Caprica angels shit, as that makes the least sense of all in light of the four seasons gone before, and the way these "angels" steered their counterparts.
    God is either the mosty inefficient harebrain ever, or a sadistic game master. Either of which I wouldn't have minded if it had actually been integrated in the plot.

It's finally pointless excercises like these, with no dramatic pay-off whatsoever, that made the fourth season lag for me beyond tolerance. Especially the last five episodes felt like a chore to get through. The final farewell felt like a relief (even though it was horribly protracted) than the obvious reflective, contemplative epilogue the makers were aiming for.

In many ways I'm sorry the series was kinda spoilt like that, as there were so many elements that did work: Anders becoming a "hybrid hybrid", the Cylon civil war and its outcome, Gaeta's uprising.

I even liked the way the final episode echoed the final episode of 1978's Galactica (where the Galactica has to fight a nose-to-nose battle with a Cylon Baseship to get through the only navigable passage in the system, with a strike team -consisting of Starbuck and Apollo- making a run to deactivate the baseship from within). It was even underscored by the dozens of "old" Cylons running around.
    Very odd for an old-timer like me to see "my Cylons" fight "new Cylons"dizzy

What i especially liked is that it was only VERY late in the season I recognised the "Cylon Wake-up Song" as being Bob Dylan's All Around The Watchtower! I'm not a big Dylan fan, but I do recognise that his folk-pop always has a tendency to (try and) transcend its place in time.
    The suggestion that this song should be the root of Earth, and hence -apparently- lingering in the collective consiousness before being "rediscovered" by Dylan, appeals to me. smile