• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2009 edited
    Still no word on when S4 will be released in Europe or Benelux. But I'm a patient man! cool

FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK !!!!!! I want it now !!!!!!! crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  1. DreamTheater wrote
    Still no word on when S4 will be released in Europe or Benelux. But I'm a patient man! cool

FRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK !!!!!! I want it now !!!!!!! crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy crazy

I want it now, you hear me now
    And I want everything from BG, everything, even the in between episodes or TV movies
    waaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! Where's my nut? arrrghhhhhhh
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2009
    Right, I think I've had enough of being in the loser 24 and Lost threads (both shows that have gone down the toilet) and I'm willing to give BG a try. Is it cool just starting with episode 1 "33" or are there prequels and loads of other bits before that which are essential?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    "Begin at the beginning", the King said, gravely, "and go till you come to the end; then stop. "
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    So I have to watch the 70's show first? cry
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yes.

And there will be a quiz.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Seriously though, no: start with the mini-series, which sets up the whole story.
    Follow through with "33".

Here's the proper order.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Anthony wrote
    So I have to watch the 70's show first? cry

Will the process include chaining you down too?
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Anthony wrote
    Right, I think I've had enough of being in the loser 24 and Lost threads (both shows that have gone down the toilet) and I'm willing to give BG a try. Is it cool just starting with episode 1 "33" or are there prequels and loads of other bits before that which are essential?

Woohoo! Another convert applause

You have to watch the mini-series first, it's 3 hours of great and tense sci-fi. And not an alien creature in sight! punk
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  3. Which, incidentally, was a part of Edward James Olmos's contract. Yes, he only agreed to play the part if there were no weird alien creatures present and it was written into his contract.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  4. Yeah I know that, don't you just love the man? beer

I love aliens, but BSG is so much better without them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2009
    PawelStroinski wrote
    Which, incidentally, was a part of Edward James Olmos's contract. Yes, he only agreed to play the part if there were no weird alien creatures present and it was written into his contract.

Good man. Much better without aliens, they're usually far too gimmicky. (Klingons are clearly the best aliens ever created... well, apart from Aliens.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Um. The original series had pretty much zero alien creatures either.
    I just seem to remember an insect race in the original mini-series, but that's pretty much it.

And seeing as how Battlestar Galactica had serious messianic and biblical overtones even back in 1979 (and while the bible is full of otherworldy creatures, I think Larson was trying to focus more on the creation and human side of things), this "no aliens" clause sounds like just another urban legend, or at least a tall tale.
    Battlestar Galactica simply isn't about aliens.
    It's not Star Trek.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    I'm guessing Olmos wasn't a BSG nerd... so this 'tell tale' doesn't sound that implausible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    He's a TV actor, and has been for decades... I'd have thought he'd know a little about his chosen profession.
    If he didn't know what he was going to play, or the history of the show, I'm in fact rather less impressed with the man.

I always feel proper research is very much part of any job.
    If you don't, you're either lazy, cocky or simply disinterested.
    None of which traits I find particularly endearing.
  5. Or maybe he just did it to make sure they won't make the remake something weird. It's easy to take an old formula and turn it into next Star Trek.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Given the overall story arc and setting, it seems exceedingly unlikely.
    But I guess we'll never know for sure.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    The mini-series is bought! And for only $3! The show is already off to a good start with great value for money. cheesy
  6. just saw "Lay Down your Burdens" double episode of season 2, and I must say I'm stunned shocked

This I never saw happening, this climax, this maneuver I never ever saw happening, WOW shocked

For whoever's watching this, trust me, it gets better and better
    can't wait for Season 2 to end smile
  7. That's an excellent episode.

Unfortunately there are a couple of bumps on the road in the second half of season 2. 'Black Market' and 'Downloaded' (the beginning of the cylon melodrama) come to mind. Fortunately between 'Scar', 'Lay down your burdens' and the Pegasus arc, the show was in top form for the most part.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2009
    I like the Black Market music on the season 2 soundtrack. Doesn't take a genius to use piano strings like that because of its use as a weapon in the episode, but it's a nice little detail.
  8. 'Black Market' was a good episode for music. All the flashbacks (LOST-style) give McCreary occasion to use music very prominently. I did think the plotting of the episode was pretty weak, particularly coming off the back of the Pegasus arc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    It did smack of 'filler episode', but BSG at its worse is still a lot better than many shows out there. I thought the children scene was particularly shocking -plus Lee shooting the cool black guy from Predator- once again proving the writers and producers certainly weren't afraid to tread through dark ground.

I'm about half way through season 3 so far, absolutely love it. (The Pegasus episodes are still my favourites.)
  9. One of my favourite episodes - one that I think is a bit underrated - is the one where * SPOILER * Baltar is interrogated following the 'Temple of Five' arc.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009 edited
    I never thought about the fleet-internal-affairs episodes as fillers. Following what happens with a society that is slowly dissolving on all levels is part of what this series is about. The search for water, food, fuel, how to reorganize life and politics, and how to deal with life falling apart on a personal level were always as fascinating for me as the "space stuff", if you know what I mean.
  10. I don't really think of Black Market as filler, just dramatically weak, particularly in the context of the episodes surrounding it. There plenty of internal dynamics episodes that worked, this one was one of the lesser ones. I do love this show, but it had its fair share of such episodes.
  11. franz_conrad wrote
    That's an excellent episode.

Unfortunately there are a couple of bumps on the road in the second half of season 2. 'Black Market' and 'Downloaded' (the beginning of the cylon melodrama) come to mind. Fortunately between 'Scar', 'Lay down your burdens' and the Pegasus arc, the show was in top form for the most part.

I quite liked Downloaded, it gave us another look to what happens
    Still not every episode can be brilliant, if not they should have called it Brilliantstar Galactica

For me, if episodes still bring something interesting and don't stray away from what needs to be brought (LOST anyone?) I'm up for it
  12. My problem with 'Downloaded' is that it began to open us up to the Cylon perspective, and while I can see the thematic reasons for wanting to do that, I think that approach to telling the story robbed the show of a feeling that had been very powerful in the first two seasons. That feeling being the sense of being pursued by a force whose strategies and motivations were unclear.

I always think that in any story, there is some vital element that is best left offscreen, and I think the internal cylon dynamics were such a thing in this show. We can guess at it, try to piece it together from the little we see, but I think that would have been better than the approach they took. The unseen has a power that the seen can rarely approximate.* Once you've had a scene like the one where *spoiler* a rogue 6 and 8 kill a 3, or they vote their way to a decision around a table, with all the beauty in the air, it starts to feel like a science fiction 'Days of our Lives' - ever so slightly campy. Once 'Downloaded' was out the door, there were only a few more occasions where Cylons presented a fascinating, compelling presence. The first was Dean Stockwell's tandem speech from the brig at the end of the second season. The second was Leoben's role in 'Maelstrom', although that was probably not Leoben (and didn't feel like it at the time).

* Extending this point to 'Razor', I feel the exploits of Cain post-Cylon war pre-reunion with Galactica were also such a thing. As stories told by the drunk first officer - stories we're not quite sure whether to believe - the events shade Michelle Forbe's character with a dark capacity for compromise that we have our doubts about. It makes sense of what we see, but also we wonder how true the story is. Seeing it in 'Razor' felt like a 'colour-in-the-shapes'. A mystery became matter-of-fact.

(All this obviously reflects what I find compelling storytelling to be. I think of it as loving the show enough to know that its creators were also artists, capable of brilliant choices as well as less-than-brilliant ones.)
  13. just witnessed the duo episode of season 3 "Exodus"

And these things are what I think of it

- fracking awesome special effects
    - fracking awesome episode
    - some really lovely fracking good music
    - Starbuck with long hear is so much cuter love

So Say we All, Battlestar Rules :battlestar:
  14. the episode "The Woman King" from Series 3 confirmed what I was expecting for a long time

The most respectful character in the entire Battlestar Galactica series is Helo, and since now he has my deepest sympathy.

Go Helo punk