• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2009
    Oh. [Shrug]
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
  1. Season 5 will undoubtedly appear in the adult version called Battlesuck Galactits.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    lol
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2009
    Southall wrote
    I can't think of anything witty to say, so I'll just repeat what Steven said a few posts ago - there IS no season five. It's finished after four.

Perhaps I should write my replies like this from now on.
  2. So I saw the end. Spoilers follow...[spoiler]But I have mixed feelings about it. I want to like it, but I can't get around the fact that the writers could've done a better job because I was expecting another emotional wallop like the mini-finale of Revelations, but the big finale was surprisingly very subdued. Appropriate you might say that it stays clear from the clichéd endings we've already seen many times. There are also many unanswered questions. What was the role of Hera in all of this? What's up with Starbuck being an angel and disappearing? Why the hell did Cavil commit suicide? While I liked wrapping up the storylines of many minor characters, others were ignored! It didn't leave me cold, but it didn't stun me either. I seriously don't know what to think... [/spoiler]
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2009 edited
    Thought you might feel that way...
    Join the club, basically.

Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wonder what's to come and who's the final Cylon, though I have a good guess who it might be. In fact the show just about threw it in my face. smile

You're wrong. smile

And?
    Was I right (that you would be wrong)?
    Or am I wrong in thinking that I was right?
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  3. Many people have their difficulties with the ending. Personally, I found it to be frakkin´ brilliant.

[spoiler]Cavil kills himself because the death of one of FF means there will be no resurrection technology, and he realizes that he will die anyway, and since he feels his body is a fucked up piece of crap anyway, he ends his existence in style. ^^ Hera, basically, gave Starbuck the coordinates to Earth, and with giving Cylon and Kobol-Human DNA to mankind, she became our ancestal mother. Starbuck? Yeah, what´s up with her? Honestly, I really, really prefer that she just dissappered and we´ll never know what she was exactly. How STUPID would it have been if she´d have grown wings and went away into the golden sky with them?[/spoiler]Honestly, I´m quite happy they didn´t take us by our hand and explained each and everything to us, because, basically, we know enough to be quite happy. [spoiler]Obviously, there IS a god. And somehow, he found it funny to show humans and cylons how frakked up they were to burst themselves into the oblivion again and again, that he finally came up with a plan to get them work together for a change. To find a new home for everyone who was willing to coexist. And to screw the frakin´rest. For me, that´s what all the unsolved riddles are about.[/spoiler]The rest is a brilliant show about human mind and condition, abour morals and ethics and how it all goes to hell when hell breaks loose. [spoiler]And the finale was enourmously satisfying for me. I loved the falshbacks revealing more about our main casts past, I LOVED the final battle, and I certainly adored the final act. Moore had balls to throw us this metaphysic shit into the face and say, that´s it, folks. Live with it. And since he did that from Season 1, don´t say we didn´t get a warning. ^^[/spoiler]
  4. I on the other hand can't see the reason for all this invisible ink. If you want to read what follows, you will be SPOILED.

Appropriate you might say that it stays clear from the clichéd endings we've already seen many times.

Really? It didn't seem to steer clear of cliched endings like:
    - a desperate last assault - a 'suicide mission' - which there is no hope of surviving, and which naturally practically everyone survives?
    - everything coming down to a hostage situation involving a child, which ends with the death of the Evil Overlord?
    - the old soldier who, faced with changing times and the offer of a private sector position, decides 'to hell with it all' and sticks with the service that he loves?
    - the woman who has cancer, dying only after all has been accomplished (in her lover's presence, no less)?
    - the couple who fall in love at first sight, only to defer their own feelings because she's already in love with someone else?

As you can see from what I post, even the much-vaunted character revelations that were meant to be real gemstones of the finale only managed to descend into a fairly desperate set of cliches. And most of the things that weren't cliches were perfunctory and expositional choices to get the audience from A to B.
    E.g.
    Q: Why did Cavill shoot himself?
    A: Because Resurrection was impossible.
    Q: What? Why?
    A: Well it took all of the Final Five's merged minds to recreate Resurrection technology, and leaving aside the idea that one of them had already effectively lost his mind (Anders), when one of them was killed, it was impossible to reconstruct Resurrection.
    Q: But that's such a complicated piece of exposition! Why on earth would you make the fate of a major character a necessity based on such an esoteric piece of internal mythology?
    A: Well... we had to kill Cavill somehow you see!
    Q: Why?
    A: Because Rescurrection was impos...
    Repeat ad infinitum.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
  5. Martijn wrote
    Thought you might feel that way...
    Join the club, basically.

Martijn wrote
    DreamTheater wrote
    Wonder what's to come and who's the final Cylon, though I have a good guess who it might be. In fact the show just about threw it in my face. smile

You're wrong. smile

And?
    Was I right (that you would be wrong)?
    Or am I wrong in thinking that I was right?

Well when it was revealed it was [spoiler]Ellen[/spoiler], I basically said: No way, it cannot be that one! I was thinking it would be [spoiler]Starbuck, since she found her dead body on that grim planet. Later it dawned on me that Ellen was the final Cylon anyway.[/spoiler]

So I was wrong. shame

But was I wrong in assuming you were rightly thinking I was wrong? dizzy
  6. Ralph, as I have already witnessed many times with all my viewings, a second one always reveals more for my small mind to absorb, so I'm sure second time around I'll like it more, I'll understand it more. cheesy
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    ...this has been most hoped-for thing to get a repeat from the start.

I don't know whether it's starting a whole re-run of the show - your mention that it's been on a few times recently makes me worry that it won't be repeated - but I, too, am hopeful.

Sky 2 seem to be showing it from the start, from December 7. No miniseries to go before it though - and I didn't watch it on the Sci-fi Channel recently.
  7. Southall wrote
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    ...this has been most hoped-for thing to get a repeat from the start.

I don't know whether it's starting a whole re-run of the show - your mention that it's been on a few times recently makes me worry that it won't be repeated - but I, too, am hopeful.

Sky 2 seem to be showing it from the start, from December 7. No miniseries to go before it though - and I didn't watch it on the Sci-fi Channel recently.

Thanks for the pre-warning, James.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  8. I'm in the process of watching the featurettes on the S4 DVD box and some of them are very cool. It makes me wanna be a part of the production, as all the nice people talking about the show seem to have had the best time of their lives making it. I can imagine that even the least responsible team member must feel some sort of insane satisfaction to have been part of such a glorious show.

I watched the 'Who the frak is Bear McCreary' doc today and it was very entertaining. Hollywood should make more of this sort of behind-the-scenes mockumentaries that are obviously played but fun nonetheless. I also liked the witty BSG storyline summary on one of the other discs.

All in all S4 provides the most value for money out of all the boxes on the extras aspect, and it's a great rollercoaster season to boot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeNov 25th 2009
    DreamTheater wrote
    I watched the 'Who the frak is Bear McCreary' doc today and it was very entertaining.

Isn't he like a huge bear? Roar! (E.J.Olmos was hilarious!)
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009
    BSG: The Plan has been receiving mixed reviews.
    Just curious who's seen it here and what are your thoughts?
  9. Since I liked the revelations of Season 4 and the Finale, it will come to no surprise that I enjoyed The Plan very much.

Big Spoilers following for Season 4, only small spoilers for The Plan (and there is not too much in that movie that we didn´t already know anyway):
    [spoiler]I think it depends on whether you can live with the idea they threw at us in Season 4 that Cavil was the driving force behind the whole "Destroy Humanity" thing or not. If you always wanted and imagined the Cylons to be a borglike entity with one cohesive plan behind it all, you were up to some serious surprises during Season 4. A lot of people didn´t like how it all turned out to be the unloving son rebelling against his parent creators. The Plan, now, shows more about the same thing. As a matter of fact, it will show you nothing new, instead you will experience the story from the destruction of the colonies up to the end of Season 2 from the point of view of two different Cavil models who make some experiences which lead them to quite different conclusions about the whole plan. You will get to see some quite spectacular images during the first act (if you´re into that kind of stuff), but after that it races through the two seasons, jumping to all those times where Cylons played a role in anything and shows it from their point of view. You will get some new stuff and some not so new, and in the end you will ask yourself whether there was anything new in it at all (since it uses old footage, a lot, but from different angles and sometimes with kinda enlightening additions. I must say I liked it, because it offered another very nice look into Cavil´s psyche, because it had some funny moments (Dean Stockwell is always fun to watch), and because I gave it the chance. If you´re predetermined to hate it, you will.[/spoiler]
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Atham wrote
    BSG: The Plan has been receiving mixed reviews.
    Just curious who's seen it here and what are your thoughts?

"The Plan"? What's that? Another spin-off series?
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009 edited
    It´s a direct-to-DVD movie like Razor that was produced immediately after they shot the finale. After that, the sets were deconstructed (and a lot of it got auctioned off), so this really is the very last thing you´ll ever get to see about this version of the franchise.

Still, there is Caprica, the prequel series, coming to SyFy in January.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2009 edited
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    It´s a direct-to-DVD movie like Razor that was produced immediately after they shot the finale. After that, the sets were deconstructed (and a lot of it got auctioned off), so this really is the very last thing you´ll ever get to see about this version of the franchise.

Still, there is Caprica, the prequel series, coming to SyFy in January.

As someone who's not totally into this the way you are (and who is too lazy to google around), do these films take place AFTER the end or at various points INSIDE the series' timeframe?
    I am extremely serious.
  10. The Plan is the story of the series shown from the Cylon perspective. Directed by Edward James Olmos.
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
  11. Well, both movies focus on a specific character; they have a main story that happens at a certain point in the BSG timeline, but both have many flashback scenes which tell what happened to the movie-specific character up to the point in time where they meet the main story.

The Plan´s very short main story happens during "2.20 - Lay Down Your Burdens (Part 2)"; basically, it is not more than a conversation between two Cylon characters before something specific happens to them at the end of the movie. The flashbacks show what these two characters (and some other important characters in relation to the main characters) experienced between the destruction of the colonies and the time up to 2.20. However, the events in this movie and certain explanations would spoil everyone´s fun who has not seen episode "4.15 - No Exit". So while this movie definitely happens during 2.20, I would wait watching it until after 4.15. On a repeated viewing of the complete series, however, I would always watch it directly after 2.20, or even stop 2.20 when the specific conversation happens and watch The Plan before the rest of 2.20 to really put it into the correct frame. The Plan can be described shortly as "The Cylon´s view" of the given timeframe.

Razor is different in so far that it introduces a new character whose fate and backstory is fully explored in this movie while showing certain aspects of the whole storyline that were, so far, unknown, too. The main story is much longer this time and happens directly after "2.17 - The Captain´s Hand". It tells the story of this character, again in flashbacks, from the colonies´ destruction up to 2.17, but we get some glimpses from the First Cylon War as well, through the eyes of two other characters. Although we get to see and learn about some stuff that won´t come up until later episodes, this time, there is no problem whatsoever to watch the movie right here, after 2.17, where it belongs. The Plan can be described shortly as "The Pegasus´ view" of the given timeframe.

Caprica will show the events that lead to the creation of the Cylons in the Twelve Colonies and the First Cylon War.

I hope this helps.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Thanks for the detailed synopsis, Ralph.
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAtham
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009
    Yes. Thank you Ralph.
    I've seen it now. Although I had to adjust to a different pace here (short scenes jumping from one aspect of the story to the other) I found overall that I liked it.
    I liked seeing Cavil's character's motive explained in more detail. I also thought it was great to see more of Simon in this story too.
    Most of the special effects were great (except for two very quick and nasty shots).
    And McCreary's music was good as always.
    I can certainly understand some people not liking The Plan. But I enjoyed it on the most part.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009 edited
    And it's worth mentioning that they are best to be watched in the order that they were aired/released.. or after the whole series. There would be just too much spoilery tidbits that you'd wish you hadn't seen. So, Razor somewhere after S3, but before S4; and The Plan at the complete end.

And while I'm typing anyway, I'd say ban the plan! The ideas it brought were interesting enough, but it was far from entertaining.

Oh, and by the way, Bregt sent me a message not long ago that the score for both telemovies would be available sometime around February 16 (dixit Amazon).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2009 edited
    Thor wrote

Oh, I hope you didn´t feel spoiled in any way. I tried to concentrate on the overall frame, not on the details of the story. You´re still in for a lot of surprises, I think.
  12. Rian wrote
    And it's worth mentioning that they are best to be watched in the order that they were aired/released.. or after the whole series. There would be just too much spoilery tidbits that you'd wish you hadn't seen. So, Razor somewhere after S3...

Why do you think that? What kind of spoiler regarding to Razor are you thinking of?
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thor wrote

Oh, I hope you didn´t feel spoiled in any way. I tried to concentrate on the overall frame, not on the details of the story. You´re still in for a lot of surprises, I think.

He, he...no, no, I wasn't being sarcastic. I liked your details! smile
    I am extremely serious.
  13. Okay then, you had me hanging here for a sec. wink

I guess I am just getting used to expect the unexpected around this place.

I´m glad I could help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Rian wrote
    And it's worth mentioning that they are best to be watched in the order that they were aired/released.. or after the whole series. There would be just too much spoilery tidbits that you'd wish you hadn't seen. So, Razor somewhere after S3...

Why do you think that? What kind of spoiler regarding to Razor are you thinking of?

The teasing of [spoiler]the harbinger of death[/spoiler]; and perhaps if someone would be so stupid to watch it before Pegasus.. rolleyes