• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007
    At world's End
    Lair
    Ratatouille

Elisabeth Golden Age
    Golden Compass
    3:10 to yuma

*** 1/2
    Transformers
    Rescue Dawn
    Lust Caution
    Atonement
    StarDust
    Beowulf
    Bug
    MOH Airborne
    Bourne Ultimatum

the Simpsons Movie
    Bee movie
    Enchanted
    Harry potter and the Order of Phoenix

** 1/2
    Rush Hour 3
    Fantastic Four 2
    Shrek the third
    Evan Almighty

Live Free or Die Hard
    Gone Baby Gone
    Wonder Emporium

Eastern Promises
    The Brave One
    The KingDom
    Michael Clayton
  1. Thanks for the update, Jordi! punk
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Thanks for the update, Jordi! punk

You are welcome Steven....Oops! You are not him!
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Here are my winners from one of the weakest years on record...

- Pirates of the Caribbean (Hans Zimmer)
    - Bridge To Terabitha (Aaron Zigman)
    - The Last Sin Eater (Mark McKenzie)
    - Guild Wars: Eye of the North (Jeremy Soule)
    - Eastern Promises (Howard Shore)
    - Zodiac (David Shire)
    - Angel (Philippe Rombi)
    - I Know Who Killed Me (Joel McNeely)
    - Lair (John Debney)
    - Ratatouille (Michael Giacchino)
    - MOH: Airborne (Michael Giacchino)
    - Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium (Alexandre Desplat/Aaron Zigman)
    - As You Like It (Patrick Doyle)
    - Island of Lost Souls (Jane Cornish)
    - Rescue Dawn (Klaus Badelt)

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
  2. I see neither ATONEMENT or LUST, CAUTION on your list Erik... quite surprising. (You must be really sick of waltzes! wink ) I would have been quite depressed if those two hadn't come along in the second half of the year.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited
    My personal favourits have been:

At World's End, Lair, Ratatouille, MOH Airborne, The Kingdom (yes!), Enchanted, Halo 3, Call Of Duty 4, Beowulf, Ocean's Thirteen, Half Life 2 Episode 2, Shooter, Bee Movie, Rush Hour 3, Die Hard 4, Fantastic Four 2, Simpsons and I'm yet to hear Wonder Emporium.

But this year has been crap. And I've got big hopes for The Golden Compass! smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Anthony wrote
    But this year has been crap. And I've got big hopes for The Golden Compass! smile

Prepare for the let down...

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorNautilus
    Erik Woods wrote
    Anthony wrote

Prepare for the let down...

-Erik-

Mmm....In the same way of Chronicles Of Narnia. If it was a dissapointment for you.

It's a children's movie.It's Desplat. I don't think you can expect nothing diferent than what we have.

(And If you ask me it's a lot better than any LOTR score, as much as Narnia is)
  3. Prepare for the beating Jordi. (The LOTR fans will get you for saying Narnia is better! wink )
    •  
      CommentAuthorRalph Kruhm
    Well, I like Narnia as it is, both the movie and the music. It´s probably because I didn´t read the books when I was young, but only the first one a month or so before I saw the movie. I found the book to be quite simple, which should be normal for a children´s book, but thought about how one might expand it into a big movie, and I was surprised they did exactly what I would have done. This might say something about my taste for some people around here, but without the full weight of a lifelong love for Narnia, I was able to see that they did quite a good job to adapt what I would call a rather simple story to the big screen. Truth be told, Narnia seems to have invented some very famous themes for the fantasy genre and so certainly deserves its fame. The score I loved especially, just because of the way it is structured and growing with each scene. I´m very anxiously awaiting the score for Part 2 and was kind of dissappointed to hear HGW won´t return for Part 3.

BUT Lord of the Rings is, of course, vastly superior to Narnia, book, movie and score.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007
    Nice thread to keep track of stuff as the end of the year reaches...this means voting and stuff!

As for my list, i will keep it 'till the year is finally closed, unlike last year that found me constantly coming back and adding / removing stuff. I don't want to do that this year and there are scores of 2007 i plan to listen but haven't done so yet.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    To be honest, here's hoping that 2007 can be saved. It hasn't been a awful year but definately the worst since I can remember.
  4. I don't think it's been that bad. The big budget summer scores have generally been pretty average for a few years now, this year was not different in that regard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I agree with Michael. I am seriously doubting that people arguing against 2007 have actually given some good spins of the "s.o.s" scores to be heard in 2007.
  5. I must admit the two scores I most wanted to hear this year, Golden Compass and Kite Runner, haven't quite been as exciting as I'd hoped. They're both good, but expectations were very high.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Kite Runner? Woah, i've got to say that i had a feeling you wouldn't particularly go crazy about it when i was listening to it, granted your favorite Iglesias score is "The Dancer Upstairs" but i wouldn't think you'd be disappointed by it, even mildly. What is it exactly you didn't like Michael? It's more accessible and ethnomusicological (a-la Danna) approach perhaps? 'Cause i loved every single bit of it and as i preparing my review on the score, i'd really love to hear your opinion too.
  6. I will probably like it more when I've heard the film, but the Iglesias scores I like the most are those vibrant chamber-size scores for the Almodovar films and the dark chamber orchestral thriller score for DANCER UPSTAIRS. KITE RUNNER is a bit more sweet and sentimental than his scores usually are - even moreso than CONSTANT GARDENER, which is a pretty subtle score. It's a new direction for the composer, not one I disapprove of, but I do think it's that curious jazz-orchestral fusion in a chamber setting that he does best. He's put a lot of work into it though, so I wouldn't dismiss it, I'd just say it doesn't quite push my buttons as much as the rest of his work. (VOLVER was delightful last year, and I've been playing SEX AND LUCIA a lot lately.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Indeed, Iglesias standard approach to films (the one you mention) is more Herrmann-esque than Kite Runner imo. Kinda like a jazzier version of what Roque Banos is doing to the Herrmann-esque sound of today.

But i personally didn't mind something more direct and catchier by Iglesias for a change; and it has tremendous amounts of research and work in it, particularly on the world music bits. It's evident i'd say and that' something that comes along as a great listening experience on CD, the whole is very coherent and i really appreciated that.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    The Dancer Upstairs is genius, a truly great score.

(Just had to get that in!!!) cheesy
  7. I think the three people who most appreciate that score are all Australian actually! Aleks Rzadkowski (a sydney uni student who loved Yared and Iglesias) brought it to my attention, I brought it to David's, and we're still looking for another person out there who finds it as compelling as we do. wink
  8. Feels like the last two years have been rather poor on the score side of things. But this isn't unusual, there have been years where very few scores were worthy of being mentioned. I won't name years because there's always the exception in someones mind, but these bald patches happen about once a decade on average in my mind.
    I'm your Piper at the gates of dawn.
    • CommentAuthorDavid OC
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2007 edited
    franz_conrad wrote
    I think the three people who most appreciate that score are all Australian actually! Aleks Rzadkowski (a sydney uni student who loved Yared and Iglesias) brought it to my attention, I brought it to David's, and we're still looking for another person out there who finds it as compelling as we do. wink

I think you're right mate, and I'll be forever grateful to you for bringing it to my attention.
    The only downside is how every Iglesias score afterwards is simply one that fails to live up to The Dancer Upstairs. sad
  9. Yes, I get that feeling too. The Almodovar scores are strong in their own way, but DANCER UPSTAIRS is a style I'd like to hear him writing in again. Incredibly bleak romantic thriller music... but it's hard to think of many films that would stand up to such fine music.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMagician
    I have to say one of my favourite scores of this year has been the Movie Score Media release of BEYOND THE GATES or Shooting Dogs. A trulky atmospheric and mesmorising score to what is a particular hard film to watch as a caring human. Dario Marinelli really captured the sense of forboding and imminent decision making that the film portrays so well.

Just my opinion though.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Well Narnia was never a disappointment for me as I never looked forward to it. I only got it because everyone was raving about it....I still to this day don't understand why... slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Magician wrote
    I have to say one of my favourite scores of this year has been the Movie Score Media release of BEYOND THE GATES or Shooting Dogs. A trulky atmospheric and mesmorising score to what is a particular hard film to watch as a caring human. Dario Marinelli really captured the sense of forboding and imminent decision making that the film portrays so well.

Just my opinion though.

And mine too! http://christodoulides.blogspot.com/200 … oting.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2011
    I disagree.
    I am extremely serious.
    •