• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2008
    sdtom wrote
    You don't hear the mistake necessarily but it is there for your brain which is a good thing. I'm not talking about clicks, pops, surface noise. I'm talking about the analog process. In theory digital is perfect.
    Thomas smile

It's an interesting theory.
    Thos of us who were there at the beginning may remember that one of the criticisms leveled at CDs was that the sound was too, too sterile.
    Now while some of that may assuredly be assigned to early encoding techniques, it's interesting to see the same criticism flaring up with the advent of Blue-Ray, which I've heard described as too clear and too detailed.

Apparently there's something in what Tom's suggesting, and it intrigues me.
    I'll need to ponder this a bit.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  1. The National Music Publishers' Association has requested an increase to 15 cents per track sold online, up from 9 cents as it is now.

If the [iTunes music store] was forced to absorb any increase in the ... royalty rate, the result would be to significantly increase the likelihood of the store operating at a financial loss - which is no alternative at all. Apple has repeatedly made it clear that it is in this business to make money, and most likely would not continue to operate [the iTunes music store] if it were no longer possible to do so profitably.

Bye-bye crappy iTunes only downloads and downloads period!
    The views and opinions of Ford A. Thaxton are his own and do not necessarily reflect the ones of ANYONE else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008
    You mean they can't raise the price? I'm confused.
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2008 edited
    sdtom wrote

Some big Apple guy said that they'd rather shut down the store than increase the price of a song. Big talk, though, imho.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008
    You just raise the price a dime
  2. Rian wrote
    sdtom wrote

Some big Apple guy said that they'd rather shut down the store than increase the price of a song. Big talk, though, imho.

That's what I thought when I read this. Apple think that they are so big that they can threaten people by saying they are going to take their ball home if they don't get their way. I hope that their bluff is called.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008
    They might be big but not that big.
    Thomas smile
  3. sdtom wrote
    They might be big but not that big.
    Thomas smile

"The veiled threat to shut down iTunes if royalty rates on downloaded songs were hiked has been averted. The Copyright Royalty Board (CRB) opted to keep the status quo and turned down a request to increase royalties from 9 to 15 cents on songs bought online..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7649770.stm
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  4. Heh, they feared Apple? biggrin
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2008
    What goes around comes around
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    Does having an optical cable improve sound quality when listening to CD's? I've got one that hooks my blu-ray player up to my amp and when watching BD films it's considerably better. Then again, blu-ray discs have all this fancy lossless ( rolleyes ) audio. Surely a CD is just going to be digital audio whatever it's played on? confused
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2009
    The optical cable helps in the CD process too, although the difference is minimal. Speakers are the major key in your listening system.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2009
    sdtom wrote
    Speakers are the major key in your listening system.

You can say that again!
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2009
    biggrin
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2009
    Has anyone had any experience with this new 'ultra' hi-fi download that I read in my new Penguin guide. They claim superior quality to the CD which would make this entire process interesting. I've never heard it but I would be interested.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2009
    I really really want to find out more about this
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    A bit quiet on the front, eh? It seems everyone has been forced to convert to newer technologies, abandoning the warmth and beauty of the older analog world of audio.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2009
    In fact I've found a shop that has a huge selection of LP's. The problem is their not catalogued, yikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2009
    I am at work and i have imported the entire ANGELS AND DEMONS album into the pro tools HD system which plays out on our 2 very old and very trusty HUGE studio spakers that together cost around 40 000 euros, signal passed through our dcm 232 console by DDA You can't believe the amount of detail and stuff that are in there and which are buried when reproduced through conventional home studio speakers / hi-fi systems. I won't even comment on the VS PC speakers subject. My GOD, this is mindblowing even for me, one who's working here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    And a lot of people will listen from there hard drive on headphones, all of which is less than. Better technology today=less quality listening. Stupid, but that is the way of the world.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am at work and i have imported the entire ANGELS AND DEMONS album into the pro tools HD system which plays out on our 2 very old and very trusty HUGE studio spakers that together cost around 40 000 euros, signal passed through our dcm 232 console by DDA You can't believe the amount of detail and stuff that are in there and which are buried when reproduced through conventional home studio speakers / hi-fi systems. I won't even comment on the VS PC speakers subject. My GOD, this is mindblowing even for me, one who's working here!

I would imported BRAINSTORM tongue punk
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    And a lot of people will listen from there hard drive on headphones, all of which is less than. Better technology today=less quality listening. Stupid, but that is the way of the world.

The problem is not better technology Tom. That can do wonders.

The problem is CHEAPER and CHEAPER new technology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I've invested nearly $10,000 in stereo equipment, a lot of it in the 70's which makes that dollar amount even higher in inflated terms. The cheaper wasn't an issue then because it still works fine other than a couple changes of tubes. While there are a couple of people here, most wouldn't invest that amount of money in music listening.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    That amount isn't exactly in the cheap area wink So you're not part of what i am saying here as "cheap" technology.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2009
    I realize that. I'm proud and enjoy what I purchased.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010 edited
    As for the audiophile thingy, it's nice that people pay huge loads of money to get audio equipment that lets them listen to stuff that can't be otherwise heard, but a friendly reminder of some things if you like:

1. Every sound engineer, recordist and mixer, has their own identity and the way they work, just like the composers, arrangers and orchestrators, and the musicians, like everyone else. Some like to compress in high ratios and limit down the dynamic range, thus giving a loud and in your face, modern listen but with minimum dynamic changes, others like to compress very lightly and leave it loose, to breath, with large dynamic range but with lower perceived audio levels and not so much presence, 'kick'. Others are in-between, others work the eq and the hell out of the pieces, etc etc. It's all fine with me, just like every other professional out there leaves their mark in their job, in any field outside than music.

2. Thing is that when you listen through headphones, you have to remember 2 things: 1. audio equipment, no matter the prices paid, produces their trademarked electric noise and of course through the way the hardware is built and the materials / connections used, 'colors' the audio (frequency range and response). So if you test 100 audio pieces (be it headphones or speakers), you'll hear 100 different results.

3. It all also depends on one's ears, musical data (how he's been musically and aurally grown up) and perception (psychoacoustics).

4. No sound engineer mixes or edits using headphones. Headphones have a very precise and unique localization of the sound sources in one's heads and are very unique in their psychoacoustics behavior. If everyone records, listens, edits and mixes in standardized self-powered industry studio monitors (mackie, m-audio, jbl, etc etc), then by listening to headphones you have to realize that you're listening to something entirely different and new, in all aspects (studio monitors, be it 2 channel stereophony or the surround variation (5.1 and so on) has very different psychoacoustics and audio behavior and characteristics than any headphone system).

5. By going down to such details, it really sucks the enjoyment and the pleasure / meaning of listening to music in the first place. It can be a fun but simultaneously dangerous loop to get into. Plus getting expensive audio equipment, doesn't make one an audio engineer; opinions should be respectful.

It's nice to relax, let go and simply appreciate / enjoy the work of the composers / sound engineers instead for a change wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Also a very interesting read: an interview with Scott Martin Gershin

Scott Martin Gershin has worked as a Sound Designer and sound supervisor on some of the most popular films of recent years: Star Trek, Hellboy - The Golden Army, American Beauty, Shrek, Chronicles of Riddick, Blade II, Underworld Evolution, Team America, and many more. He has also worked extensively as a designer and mixer for interactive successes such as Gears of War 2, Fable 2 and 3, Final Fantasy XIV, and Lost Planet-Colonies. In this interview, Scott shares some of his insights into the art of Sound Design for motion pictures and games.

Read more: http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=11127#ixzz12KSH4reo

One of the things you need to do is learn the technology; you’ve got to learn your “instrument” and the jargon in the industry you want work in. Like a technically proficient musician, you’ve got to learn your tools. But just because you know how to use your tools doesn’t mean you have anything to say with them.

Read more: http://waves.com/Content.aspx?id=11127#ixzz12KSC6J2K
  5. So sound editors and mixers are producing their final products that are optimised for systems no consumer actually has? And individual listeners can't hope to get the full benefit of the music because of the limitations of their equipment?

So, in audio terms, who's the music being produced for?

Remember, it's a discussion? wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    No, not at all. This is not what i am saying and it's not true since consumer audio products are very good, there's no technological limitations in that area anymore and the prices have gone tremendously down compared to say - 20 years ago.

Every production regardless of musical genre / style goes through 'reference studio monitors' as they're called, models really close to what's considered a standard model for the average home listener and is thus certified before any kind of release to the wider public. There is a wide variety of studio monitors that's considered by sound engineers as 'reference monitors', many of them by - say, Yamaha.

Now if some (small) part of the population is a dedicated audiophile looney who spends thousands of dollars and get equipment which is far from what the average listener or the industry uses as reference, and try to trace things that are / are not there (a very thin line) instead of focusing on the meaning of the production, then you make your own conclusions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    All I know is that I don't appreciate that sound engineers apparently think its ok to leave clipping artifacts in mixes that are nearly as bad and disruptive to the listening experience as adding fart sounds, just because the majority of the population doesn't understand that music can sound better than it does on $20 PC speakers, free iPod headphones or, worst of all, live concerts of popular music.

If it were actually a matter of
    and try to trace things that are / are not there (a very thin line)

then I would be the first to agree that we should instead
    focusing on the meaning of the production,

but the things I'm complaining about are painfully, horrifyingly* obvious to the point that they aggressively, forcefully disrupt my enjoyment of the meaning of the production. I didn't set out to nitpick, I was just peacefully sitting around enjoying my music collection, and suddenly my ears are attacked by horrible crackling noises just at the points in the music where the recording most needs to be sonically convincing.

*assuming that when one listens to a music recording, one expects it to be a reasonable accurate reproduction of live music. which is apparently not the case anymore.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!