• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010 edited
    And you've reached to this generalizing comment / conclusion via which - in fact, proofs?

Dude, some of the world's most important musical heritage was recorded in 4 channel tape recorders / or mono...recordings today are as crisp, crystal clear as ever.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2010
    It is simply my opinion, and as I stated in the comment itself, it is apparently not as widely held as I previously believed it to be.
    I love you all. Never change. Well, unless you want to!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    ...which interestingly was actually the point I was ready to make.
    Such super-individualised, hyper-detailed, very personal experiences seldomly make for good discussions...if only because the vast majority of people have no idea what it is that annoys you!

My father had a dear friend, long dead now, whose bane it was he could never ever visit concerts.
    His sense of pitch was so absolute, he was irked by any instrument being even the slightest bt out of tune. Which pretty much ruled out every single concert with more than one instrument in it for him.

He never met anyone who had the same affliction (for such he felt it was), and so never got into any discussion on that particular part of musical appreciation with anyone. There was simply no point. Even if he was right, nobody in the whole world was bothered by it.

And so these observations, as true as they may be, really only generally serve as such: observations.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Fascinating, I'm glad I have cloth ears.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Scribe I can't agree with your comment about the live recordings. I'm privileged to be able to attend tomorrow evening a performance of the Mozart Clarinet Concerto, a favorite. It will be performed in a church that I know has superior acoustic qualities, thus it will surpass any recording I currently have of this work played on my equipment. Providing the playing is top notch there would be no way to surpass this. My dilemma are room acoustics and even expensive equipment can't overcome that.
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    I believe I said live performances of popular music?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Yeah, obviously Mozart is not popular at all.

(wink)
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Should I be saying "contemporary music in modern genres"?

The basis of all my frustrations is my belief in the idea that a live performance (of traditional music) is the holy grail to which all recordings and playbacks of recordings are striving to (and can never really) reach. So I am agreeing with Tom and am sort of at a loss as to how anything I said could be interpreted otherwise. And Demetris seemed to be saying that most people don't care whether recordings achieve lifelike reproductions of live performances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You did and I agree that the amplification/speaker systems they use are at best inadequate. The acoustics in this 150 year old church are superb. The added bonus is no compression control or any equalizing at all.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    No, you should be saying "Martijn, your quick wit never ceases to amaze and confound, yet amuse me!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    You did and I agree that the amplification/speaker systems they use are at best inadequate. The acoustics in this 150 year old church are superb. The added bonus is no compression control or any equalizing at all.
    Thomas

Indeed!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Christodoulides wrote
    sdtom wrote
    Thomas

Indeed!

Doesn't get any better
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    So in other words, we all agree, and I am just making too big a deal out of minor imperfections in recordings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    In old churches, yeah i'd agree that rarely it gets better, more natural and alive than that! I love Arvo Parts' or John Tavener's works in that field too.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote
    No, you should be saying "Martijn, your quick wit never ceases to amaze and confound, yet amuse me!"

'Tri-corder readings indicate the presence of inflated opinions, captain'.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    In old churches, yeah i'd agree that rarely it gets better, more natural and alive than that! I love Arvo Parts' or John Tavener's works in that field too.

If I remember right, Elmer Bernstein's HEAVY METAL was recorded in an old church.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    You're making an issue out of something that should be addressed. As an engineer you can't assume that everyone is listening to music on crap equipment. I agree that a lot of the time this is the case but there can be vast improvement most of the time.
    Thomas
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Timmer wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Scribe wrote

'Tri-corder readings indicate the presence of inflated opinions, captain'.

I'm contemplating making a quick, nigh-imperceptible gesture turning your tricorder into a pillar of salt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Scribe wrote
    So in other words, we all agree, and I am just making too big a deal out of minor imperfections in recordings.

No, in other words: you are interested in discussing an observation few others seem to have much issue with.

And that's fine.
    It's not a moral judgement or anything.
    You wondered why so few people are interested, and I suggested a reason.
    C'est tout.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    sdtom wrote
    You're making an issue out of something that should be addressed. As an engineer you can't assume that everyone is listening to music on crap equipment. I agree that a lot of the time this is the case but there can be vast improvement most of the time.
    Thomas

Me? I never said anything like that, re-read what i wrote. Unless you're not addressing me smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorScribe
    Martijn wrote
    You wondered why so few people are interested, and I suggested a reason.

That wonders me far less than the greater mystery of those who choose to express their disinterest in a manner that appears to indicate interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010
    Christodoulides wrote

Me? I never said anything like that, re-read what i wrote. Unless you're not addressing me smile

Wasn't talking to you at all. My opinion on this whole topic was reinforced after hearing another live performance Friday night. What I heard couldn't be duplicated, ever.
    Thomas smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2010
    Oh, thanks smile
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2012
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    I think D and Tom will find this of interest...

GREEK AUDIOPHILE

Stunning stuff......if you have 100's of thousands of dollars.

EDIT:- just found this topic and realised this is where this link belongs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    Wow! Those guys are true audio loons!

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    Timmer wrote
    I think D and Tom will find this of interest...

GREEK AUDIOPHILE

Stunning stuff......if you have 100's of thousands of dollars.

EDIT:- just found this topic and realised this is where this link belongs.

I've met and encountered people like that before.
    Tom