• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    I just bought Batman Begins...because I cannot remember it AT ALL!
  1. Southall wrote
    As Blu-Ray demonstration-quality discs, I would highly recommend 3:10 to Yuma and Ratatouille - rather different films! But both have absolutely phenomenal picture quality.

James, I'm considering getting a Blu-Ray player and I was wondering which one you have. I'm looking at one of the Sony players. There are several sites that suggest getting a PS3 but I don't play games and this would be just a waste - a dedicated Blu-Ray player seems to be the way to go.

For all the DVDs I have, what's the upscaling like on a DVD when it comes to the HD experience (obviously not on a par with the HD-dedicated discs).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote
    As Blu-Ray demonstration-quality discs, I would highly recommend 3:10 to Yuma and Ratatouille - rather different films! But both have absolutely phenomenal picture quality.

James, I'm considering getting a Blu-Ray player and I was wondering which one you have. I'm looking at one of the Sony players. There are several sites that suggest getting a PS3 but I don't play games and this would be just a waste - a dedicated Blu-Ray player seems to be the way to go.

But considering a PS3 is a lot cheaper than a decent blu-ray player, it may be worth it after all.

I wish Microsoft would just release an external drive for the 360 like the did with HD-DVD. slant
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

For all the DVDs I have, what's the upscaling like on a DVD when it comes to the HD experience (obviously not on a par with the HD-dedicated discs).

Get the PS3. It's the best Blu-Ray player out there, plus you'll be getting an excellent console too. Makes sense rather than buying a standalone player, even if you won't play games on it. (Some games are "fun for all the family", like Guitar Hero... and some are good for entertaining teeny tiny guests and big guests alike.)

Economically and technologically, I think the PS3 makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Southall wrote

I've got a Samsung (you can have a demonstration at the weekend if you want!) - but would probably agree with Steven that for the price, the PS3 is probably the best thing to get even if you don't want to play games. The only thing that stopped me getting one is that it doesn't have analog 5.1 output and when it comes to sound systems, I'm still in the stone age so that was a prerequisite (and the Samsung I got was the only cheap-end player which has 5.1 analog output)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    PS3 is rather dodgy as a hardware, after a while it'll start heating up and even glitching at times especially if you try to play a lightly scratched or dirty disc. Overall, you won't get even near the quality of an expensive blu-ray player. Talking from personal experience, i own the 40gb version.

If you won't play games on it (which btw play far better on a new, fast pc but that's - admittedly - an unfair comparison, price-wise) it's a waste of money - especially if you plan to ridiculously utilize it as a web-browsing machine like some stupid little friends of my brother do.

As for inputs / outputs the choices are very limited and let us not even go down the road of its operating system and software updates.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDreamTheater
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    I'm biased because I use my PS3 both for games and blu-rays, but I can say video and audio quality is absolutely amazing. If you want proof of the most shockingly brilliantly beautiful audio/video transfers at the moment, get Die Hard 4.0, Apocalypto, Earth (the documentary-movie), and Blade Runner. All look incredible on a good HDTV.

Christodoulides wrote
    Overall, you won't get even near the quality of an expensive blu-ray player. Talking from personal experience, i own the 40gb version.

I disagree, quality is most likely at least as good as any standalone player, don't forget PS3 is always updated with the latest HDMI and blu-ray definitions. Just watch the movies above and get ready to be amazed. Never experienced any glitches or other weirdness. Longest movie I've played is nearly 3 hours, flawlessly...

As for inputs / outputs the choices are very limited and let us not even go down the road of its operating system and software updates.

Oh c'mon updates are frequent and Sony really does look after its customers and is always improving the PS3's internal software. My PC (which I look after after well) doesn't run nearly as good as Sony's black box.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008 edited
    What specs does your pc have?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2008
    Christodoulides wrote

The most awesome kind ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Steven wrote
    Christodoulides wrote

The most awesome kind ever.

ahahah good one!
  2. Christodoulides wrote

It's a year and a half old, dual core, 2 gigs of ram, 8800 GTS, runs not too bad except for the occasional lockup, but the general problem with pcs is they only work half the way you want them too, ever if they're killer machines. Not to mention compatibilty problems with all sorts of software / hardware. My PS3 however works 100% the way I want it too. But that's not to say I'm gone over to that side, it's just this console is solid enough to take on the mighty PC for its multimedia capabilities and whatnot.
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I don't have problem with my pc and i always found a good-end pc to be far better than ANY console. Bear in mind that the pc performance is always affected and limited or enhanced by the general state of O.S and software running on it, if it doesn't run too good then maybe it's your fault as well wink

But i did mention the unfair comparison due to the big differences in prices in general. But really mate, i'd bet large amounts of money that GTA IV - for example, which i play a lot these days, will run far better on my Intel core duo quad 4x3.2ghz, 4 gigs of ram and 2 8800gt SLI than on the PS3. The game lags a lot when weather is on with lots of traffic and all, not to mention explosions and all, the frame rates drop like hell!
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    Toy Story
    Toy Story 2
    Finding Nemo
    Cars

I've had all of these (apart from Cars) on video for years now, and I can't put up not having them on DVD for any longer. I haven't seen Toy Story 2 in ages!
  3. We're getting way off topic here.

I get you on the framerate, it's very noticeable in GTA4, however a PC can generate any number of problems on the side that are strictly related to the platform. Don't get me started how many times I've been reinstalling Windows in my life (it's a lot), because of some stupid addition to the registry or because I changed some driver. And I like to monitor everything and be in control of what I install, I know how to solve problems, but there's always some software or component that totally screws up your machine sooner or later. And not even the restore option will save you from that hell. There's just a total lack of standard in the PC business, consoles don't have that problem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeap, i'll give you that. They need a lot of effort and time but when clocked correctly, they outdo all the consoles' performances, all the time.

But really, do you think that if consoles carried the amount of different software pc's carry, wouldn't they lag in the same way - or even worse, too? If you try to browse youtube and load videos in the PS3 you'll get an idea of what i mean wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Erik Woods wrote
    I've stopped buying DVD's. I have far too many. And most of the time I buy a disc and don't even watch it. So, my wife and I are actually putting a hold on our DVD buying and watching all of our movies in chronological order. Now, there are a few films here and there that I will want to purchase but right now we are only going to rent. So, we started at the A's this past week and have made it through 4 movies; The Abyss, Air Force One, Alien and Aliens.

Up next: Alien3... but we are seeing The Dark Knight tonight. wink

-Erik-

So wouldn't that actually be....ALPHABETICAL order?! tongue wink
    I am extremely serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeAug 26th 2008
    Yeah, but Erik just wanted to get a rise out of you.
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
  4. My recently purchased DVDs were:

The Red Balloon (can't remember who directed it)
    Exotica (Atom Egoyan)
    Tango (Carlos Saura)
    Kaos (Taviani Brothers)
    The Wild Blue Yonder (Werner Herzog)

Red Balloon I've already had the pleasure of sitting down to. Tango, Exotica and Kaos are all films I found very impacting that I've been eager to return to. Only the Herzog film remains completely unseen.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    •  
      CommentAuthorRian
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2008
    A Dog's Breakfast (David Hewlett)

Excellent dark comedy from Hewlett starring himself, his sister, his friends and his dog.
    What do you hear? Nothing but the rain...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    I bought The Incredibles DVD... I was trying not to buy DVDs anymore (in case I will get Blu-ray player in the future!), but it was a secondhand and very cheap. And great movie.
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2009
    I was watching the disc 2 of The Incredibles, and found out all the short films and even deleted scenes are dubbed into Japanese and there is no way to switch to the original language! crazy

Is it the same on other languages? (German, Spanish, Polish etc...)
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
  5. I don't have the set yet, but I will try to learn it, Miya.

BTW, haven't seen you on Facebook for a while, can you answer my message? smile
    http://www.filmmusic.pl - Polish Film Music Review Website
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2009
    GOLDENEYE (DVD)

I am not huge fan of James Bond movies but this one is quite exceptional to me. I like this movie, so, i decided to buy this one. Good action movie.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
  6. Three blu-rays, three great films:

- King Kong: I like this update, and the sound on this hi-def disc is just beyond belief.
    - Red Cliff I (Hong Kong version, the only way to get the film in its 4+ hours uncut loveliness)
    - Red Cliff II (ditto, the spectacle of Red Cliff screams for blu-ray)

beer
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    I just picked up a very nice 2 DVD set of Casablanca.

Here's looking at you kid
    Thomas
    listen to more classical music!
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Play it again Tom.
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  7. Timmer wrote
    Play it again Tom.

Hehe, very clever Timmer. smile

I don't know if you guys would approve, being a chick flick and all, but I just finally bought a favorite of mine, Ever After with Drew Barrymore. Such a classic and wonderful movie in my opinion. Though not as truly classic as Casablanca, so how can I even compare?
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2009
    Recently got J.J. Abrams' Star Trek. smile
    •  
      CommentAuthorSunil
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF BLOOD PRINCE

I rate this one of the best DVD release, as far as Harry Potter movies DVD concern. Special features are just mind blowing. After POA DVd, i consider this one is simply best. I just started liking this movie very much.
    Racism, Prejudices and discrimination exists everywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemonStar
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2009
    The movie was good, I just wish the editing was better (it was awful in some places).