• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've just bought a 21-DVD set of classic Laurel and Hardy - with an apparent 83% saving on the list price of £200!!

Looking forward to wallowing in some classic comedy.

I hate a lot of slap-stick but Laurel & Hardy is the exception, pure classic comedy. biggrin beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
  1. Laurel and Hardy seems to have gone out-of-favour on TV recently. There used to be a time when you could find one of their classic shorts on the BBC quite frequently. But not anymore.

The children love watching Laurel and Hardy and this should be a gold mine for them (and Anne and I).
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
  2. Timmer wrote
    I hate a lot of slap-stick but Laurel & Hardy is the exception, pure classic comedy. biggrin beer

So you didn't watch the recent The Story of Slapstick the other day?

This review of slapstick was far more interesting when the older shows were featured rather than the (more violent) examples such as Bottom (which was quite entertaining at the time) were mentioned.
    The views expressed in this post are entirely my own and do not reflect the opinions of maintitles.net, or for that matter, anyone else. http://www.racksandtags.com/falkirkbairn
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeDec 30th 2009
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    Laurel and Hardy seems to have gone out-of-favour on TV recently. There used to be a time when you could find one of their classic shorts on the BBC quite frequently. But not anymore.

The children love watching Laurel and Hardy and this should be a gold mine for them (and Anne and I).

Indeed! It's timeless entertainment.

As for TV I think it's very easy to look back sometimes with rose tinted glasses, I recently came across some old newspapers from the 1970's and the TV schedules looked pretty appalling even then but I do miss the program fillers like Laurel & Hardy, Tom & Jerry and Warner Bros cartoons which used to be an irregular and at times surprise feature, now it's continual ads for what's coming up next while a feature films credits are still rolling slant
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    Laurel and Hardy were a team that made the transition from silent to sound, something not true of all stars.I like to watch from time to time but a steady dose is a little much for me.
    Tom
    listen to more classical music!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsdtom
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2011
    FalkirkBairn wrote
    I've just bought a 21-DVD set of classic Laurel and Hardy - with an apparent 83% saving on the list price of £200!!

Looking forward to wallowing in some classic comedy.

I had no clue that they had 21 DVD's out
    listen to more classical music!
  3. Today arrived:

Message in a Bottle - Gabriel Yared / used
    The talented Mr Ripley - Gabriel Yared / used
    Downton Abbey: The Essential Collection - John Lunn
    Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter - Fabian Römer

Volker
    Bach's music is vibrant and inspired.
  4. Falscher Thread, mon capitan. wink
  5. Edmund Meinerts wrote
    Falscher Thread, mon capitan. wink