• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1. In the mail in the last few days...

Battleship Potemkin (Eisenstein - complete with restored Meisel score)
    The Conformist (Bertolucci - never seen it, unbelievably!)
    Herzog on Music (two documentaries by Herzog)
    Fanny and Alexander (the Criterion boxset, with the 5 hour version made for TV in four parts)
    The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, with Richard Einhorn's magnificent 'Voices of Light')
    Criterion Bergman Boxset (w/ Seventh Seal, Smiles of a Summer Night, Virgin Spring, Wild Strawberries)

I've already viewed the Dreyer film (magnificent, I say!), and I'm looking forward to delving into some other classics.
    A butterfly thinks therefore I am
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008
    I'm aware the director of Potemkin wanted new music once every 20 years, but a lot of people screwed up big time. Knowing Meisel used a salon orchestra, I don't know what to think. For me the film just has to have Shostakovich music, it's sort of sacred, even though his music was added in later versions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorThor
    Great selections there, franz, the Bergman set in particular!
    I am extremely serious.
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    If this thread existed a couple of months ago, I'd have been posting so much...

...but I haven't bought anything at all recently. This happens every year around this time - everything from the previous year is out but nothing that I've seen at the cinema recently is. I think the last thing I got was probably Godzilla 2000 from Martijn. tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2008 edited
    Anthony wrote

...but I haven't bought anything at all recently. This happens every year around this time - everything from the previous year is out but nothing that I've seen at the cinema recently is. I think the last thing I got was probably Godzilla 2000 from Martijn. tongue

Yeah, there's nothing else anymore to buy.

Like pre-2006 DVD's.
    All sold out ages ago!

tongue wink

You haven't bought Beowulf right?
    Kazoo
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Anthony wrote

Yeah, there's nothing else anymore to buy.

Like pre-2006 DVD's.
    All sold out ages ago!

tongue wink

You haven't bought Beowulf right?

biggrin
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008 edited
    I want a really good adventure movie, like Zorro or something. They don't make films like they used to. slant

Btw, does anyone watch Alias here? I need a new show while Lost and 24 are gone for a few more months and I'm considering this...
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    I want a really good adventure movie, like Zorro or something. They don't make films like they used to. slant

Btw, does anyone watch Alias here? I need a new show while Lost and 24 are gone for a few more months and I'm considering this...

You are young Anthony, explore further back?
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorAnthony
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2008 edited
    Show me the way!! cool biggrin

Seriously, what is there? I can't think right off the top of my head...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBregt
    Flash Gordon.
    Grease.
    Saturday Night Fever.
    The Sound of Music.

Classics Anthony, so many classics.

I'm a movie noob too, be sure of that. wink
    Kazoo
    • CommentAuthorJoep
    Dak Miu Mai Shing - starring Jackie Chan
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Bregt wrote
    Flash Gordon.
    Grease.
    Saturday Night Fever.
    The Sound of Music.

biggrin
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
  2. Bregt wrote
    Flash Gordon.
    Grease.
    Saturday Night Fever.
    The Sound of Music.

This collection is... astounding. Not to say frightening a bit. wink
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Ralph Kruhm wrote
    Bregt wrote
    Flash Gordon.
    Grease.
    Saturday Night Fever.
    The Sound of Music.

This collection is... astounding. Not to say frightening a bit. wink

Very scary!

Bregt is now officially 'worlds scariest man' shocked
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Anthony wrote
    Show me the way!! cool biggrin

Seriously, what is there? I can't think right off the top of my head...

Now you put me on the spot!? shocked

It would help if I knew what kind of films you do like, plus what are your all time favourite films to get an idea of taste.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2008
    Bregt wrote
    Flash Gordon.

GORDON'S ALIVE! biggrin bounce punk cool

Grease.

vomit

Saturday Night Fever.

vomit vomit

The Sound of Music.

vomit kill explode
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008 edited
    ARGH! My Dad recently bought a PS3 and HDTV so that he could watch Blu-Rays. But he keeps buying CRAP films, and goes against my advice even though every time I've been right! angry

The latest one he's bought is 10,000BC, he's also bought Enchanted, In The Name of The King, Dragon Wars, National Treasure 2 (which was quite fun, but still silly) and Jumper (the best of the bunch, quite a decent film actually, but still better Blu-Ray movies out there). And he says I'M talking out of my arse when it comes to films!? ARGH! So frustrating. slant

He thinks Transformers is the best film he's ever watched too. Yeah, it's fun and awesome in a stupid kind of way, but I wish he'd realise that. He will not watch genuinely good films because he thinks they will be boring, he just wants to watch brainless action flicks... which is great, but try something else for christ sake! He has good taste in music as a classical music lover, but his film taste leaves a lot to be desired.

Sorry, I had to vent that to my fellow film geeks. One of the reasons I can't wait to move back to uni with like minded individuals!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLSH
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2008
    Reminds me of my dad. Exactly the same. rolleyes
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    And it's hard not to sound like a pompous snob when you're constantly telling them "this is crap, what you really want to watch is this", and you know you're right. I know for a fact, without having seen them, that There Will Be Blood is vastly better than 10,000 BC! dizzy
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Dad's and they're tastes!? rolleyes I feel for you guys slant wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorErik Woods
    I've stopped buying DVD's. I have far too many. And most of the time I buy a disc and don't even watch it. So, my wife and I are actually putting a hold on our DVD buying and watching all of our movies in chronological order. Now, there are a few films here and there that I will want to purchase but right now we are only going to rent. So, we started at the A's this past week and have made it through 4 movies; The Abyss, Air Force One, Alien and Aliens.

Up next: Alien3... but we are seeing The Dark Knight tonight. wink

-Erik-
    host and executive producer of THE CINEMATIC SOUND RADIO PODCAST | www.cinematicsound.net | www.facebook.com/cinematicsound | I HAVE TINNITUS!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    As Blu-Ray demonstration-quality discs, I would highly recommend 3:10 to Yuma and Ratatouille - rather different films! But both have absolutely phenomenal picture quality.
  3. DVD:
    Willow - Special Edition: love this movie, one of the best fantasy flicks with one tremendous Horner soundtrack
    Mission: Impossible II: cool action, like the John Woo touch, good but not great
    Mission: Impossible III: again cool but in a different way, nice story progression that doesn't let up
    Banlieue 13 (District B13): yet to see, but this is my style of action film (like any good Hong Kong action film)
    Liar Liar: for Jim Carrey, because he's hilarious, slapstick fun all the way
    The Assassination of Jesse James ....: yet to see, looks intruiging judging by the reviews

Blu-ray:
    The Day after Tomorrow: I have a soft spot for disaster flicks, but this one's in HD!!!! Bring on the devastation!!!!

Erik Woods wrote
    So, we started at the A's this past week and have made it through 4 movies; The Abyss, Air Force One, Alien and Aliens.

Wow! 2 Camerons close together: now you have to wait until T for the next one! Wouldn't want to be in your shoes... sad
    "considering I've seen an enormous debate here about The Amazing Spider-Man and the ones who love it, and the ones who hate it, I feel myself obliged to say: TASTE DIFFERS, DEAL WITH IT" - Thomas G.
  4. I have hundreds of DVDs...

My brother buys DVDs almost every weeks...

Among the last ones => The Fly, Ghost Busters, Back To The Future Trilogy (yeah, 1980s nostalgy), Men In Black, The Exorcist, Akira...

And yesterday => AVP Requiem ( biggrin )
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    I have hundreds of DVDs...

Among the last ones => The Fly, Ghost Busters, Back To The Future Trilogy (yeah, 1980s nostalgy), Men In Black, The Exorcist, Akira...

AVP Requiem!? Save him o'lord for he knows not what he's done shocked wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    Southall wrote
    As Blu-Ray demonstration-quality discs, I would highly recommend 3:10 to Yuma and Ratatouille - rather different films! But both have absolutely phenomenal picture quality.

The problem is we have those already on DVD (both great films), and even though quality is amazing on Blu-Ray, there's no point in buying a film you've already got... which is a shame. Still, there are a few good Blu-Ray movies we don't have on DVD that I might get. There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men and In The Valley Of Elah look interesting.
  5. Timmer wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Don't worry, we saw it in theater ! biggrin biggrin biggrin
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Hybrid Soldier wrote
    Timmer wrote
    Hybrid Soldier wrote

Don't worry, we saw it in theater ! biggrin biggrin biggrin

That bad!!? shocked Get well soon man wink
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Steven wrote
    Southall wrote

The problem is we have those already on DVD (both great films), and even though quality is amazing on Blu-Ray, there's no point in buying a film you've already got... which is a shame. Still, there are a few good Blu-Ray movies we don't have on DVD that I might get. There Will Be Blood, No Country For Old Men and In The Valley Of Elah look interesting.

I quite liked In the Valley of Elah. It's not outstanding, but Tommy Lee Jones is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorWilliam
    Martijn wrote
    The Sound of Music.

vomit kill explode

Hey, what do you have against The Sound of Music? confused