• Categories

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2009
    Martijn wrote
    So what's the basis?
    Black tea? Or just rasped ginger in hot water?
    Bit of honey added, I take it?

Bregje wrote
    You don't need to add anything else because it has a very nice taste of it's own, a bit like lemon. But with green tea it's nice as well.

Note to self: try and read next time. shame
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Bregje wrote
    Martijn wrote
    Liquorice is English for "zoethout"

shocked
    That explains the blood pressure!

Zoethout is not good in high quantities when you have high blood pressure. There are even warnings on the teabags for that!

You're right. smile
    That's actually why I'm taking it in moderation.

I love it, but I think I have just one cup every ten days or so.

Thanks for the recipe! I'm SO gonna try that! wave
    (And excellent point on "leaving it" a bit: fresh ginger indeed is a condiment better suited to the spicy, oriental kitchen then to tea. Hot, HOT, HOT! shocked
    'no passion nor excitement here, despite all the notes and musicians' ~ Falkirkbairn
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Yeah, i am not adding anything to tea either. No sugar, no milk, no nothing.
    Love Maintitles. It's full of Wanders.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    Christodoulides wrote
    Yeah, i am not adding anything to tea either. No sugar, no milk, no nothing.

Oddly enough I can only stand sugar with coffee.

I like Green Tea too D, just hot water with nowt else. beer
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    beer

I Can't stand sugar or milk in my coffee too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I take everything!

Sugar.
    Milk.

Rum.
    • CommentAuthorTimmer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009
    Vaughan Williams on the stereo, a mug of Twinings Ginger, Honey & Orange tea bag

......bliss cool
    On Friday I ate a lot of dust and appeared orange near the end of the day ~ Bregt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2009 edited
    lick continued from justin's composition thread lick

Martijn wrote
    Miya wrote
    In which thread can I continue KFC/McDonald/burgers discussion? I wanna talk about MOSBURGER! (the best burger franchise in Japan lick )

Please, please, please, PLEASE tell me that those odd, odd, odd, ODD Japanese people haven't invented a burger you actually put MOSS on. uhm

lol of course no moss on MOS burgers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOS_Burger
    If you have a chance to visit Japan (or Taiwan etc.), try MOS for once! They provide very good burgers, even though they're regarded as a fast-food chain. Actually it's not so fast, you have to wait after ordering until they serves. And it's a little expensive compared to other burger chains like McDonald and Wendy's. But it's worth. They use better buns, meats, fresh vegetables... superior to other chains in quality and quantity (buns are not thin like McD's! tongue )

I eat McDonald sometimes (when I lack money or time...). It's yummy, guilty pleasure, at first. But it doesn't last so long... I'm always getting sick of the taste when I finished. vomit
    Labels are for cans, not people. - Anthony Rapp
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    MY GOD! Do they put some "cat" innit too?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Christodoulides wrote
    MY GOD! Do they put some "cat" innit too?

Please. We're not talking about Korea here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Oh, make that "dog" or "snakes" then. biggrin tongue
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    No dogs, cats and snakes are used on MOS Burgers, of course! (but there is an urban legend that McDnalds uses rat meat biggrin )

Just to clarify... in Japan we no longer eat dogs and cats (at least, in usual places, I believe). In some parts of China, Korea, and probably more other countries in the world, people eat dogs or cats. I have nothing against their custom.

I'm a dog lover, and I never want to eat my dear dog Nana, nor other people's pets (companion animals). But I will do eat dog meat if it is served at a proper restaurant or somewhere like that.

In my point of view, there is nothing wrong eating any animals (except human beings). Eating dog steak and eating beef steak are the same for me. All animals can't live without killing other organisms. We're all connected in the great Circle of Life, you know! wink

Hunting endangered species/overexploitation is completely different issue, though.

This is just my point of view. Just a point of view from a Japanese biology student with no religion, also a dog lover, animal lover, nature lover. But probably other many today's Japanese think it's disgusting to eat dogs and cats...

Anyway, MOS BURGER is yummy! That's the most important. Their chicken burger is the best imo lick
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    The main reason that honorary British citizenship is being witheld from me to this day, is that I have no compunction in eating dogs and horses.
    Horse is very tough meat and really needs a lot of preparation for it to get a proper texture.
    It IS tasteful though.

I have never actually tried dog yet.
    I gather it's quite tough meat as well, which doesn't maek me in a hurry to try it.

Obviously anyone eating cats is hellspawn on the level of Hitler and Pol Pot and needs to be eviscerated slowly with a rather dull breadknife.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Christodoulides wrote

What's those dots? Four crawling ants? biggrin wink

I saw a famous and beloved (but a bit crazy) animal lover on TV eating ants along with anteaters. He said they taste sour. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    I've eaten some roasted, salted queen ants from Colombia once.

They taste just like small roasted peanuts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I cannot even begin to express my utter disgust and hate towards anyone even trying to eat PETS (specifically dogs and cats) nor all that which is so wrong in all imaginable ways with eating PETS, animals who have existed through their ancestors' interaction with humans, animals who have learned to live by, LOVE and depend by human beings since their day 1. I don't give a flying fuck whether it's dictated by a God-forsaken ancient culture or customs and I can honestly tell you, as an active member of organizations against animal cruelty, that it will be very hard for me to restrain myself from causing big harm to anyone around me even attempting to harm or kill or eat a PET, especially if those are my own cats or friends' cats and dogs. And this is where the discussion ends for me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    I saw a famous and beloved (but a bit crazy) animal lover on TV eating ants along with anteaters.

Anteaters are SO cool. cool
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiya
    Oh and horse is tasty! Horses specially raised for food are not tough. I ate raw meat of horse... it's very expensive... but heavenly yummy. lick

I also ate raw deer meat once. It was tasty but tough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    And this is where the discussion ends for me.

Ahhhh, but does it?
    A deeply ingrained rejection against eating one's pets is natural.
    It wouldn't be unlike eating family. POssibly the best comparison would be to eat one's children.
    An utterly abhorrent and evil thought indeed!

...but does the abhorrence extend to those animals that may be kept as pets?
    I know someone keeping a pet lam.
    Yet I will eat shoarma.

I know someone keeping carp.
    Yet I will happily fry a fish for dinner.

I know of people keeping snakes.
    I have never tried snake yet, but Im sure at some time I will (I gather it's very tende white meat).

The list goes on and on.
    The simple truth of the matter is that probably none of us will eat anything we ourselves have an emotional connection with, not even in the most dire circumstances.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Miya wrote
    Oh and horse is tasty! Horses specially raised for food are not tough. I ate raw meat of horse... it's very expensive... but heavenly yummy. lick

I also ate raw deer meat once. It was tasty but tough.

Raw meat?

RAW?
    uhm

I think we found our vampire, Stavroula...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Haven't you read what i've written? It was to catch such an argument:

"PETS, animals who have existed through their ancestors' interaction with humans, animals who have learned to live by, LOVE and depend by human beings since their day 1"

Anyone can keep what they want in their houses, but all which you mention isn't in this category.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    confused
    I know people keeping snakes in this fashion, with a very clear and obvious emotional rapport.
    The fact YOU don't consider those as pets doesn't hold a whole lot of water with them, I can tell you. cool

But the argument extends to animals one has a very strong emotional attachement with OUTSIDE of the house (case in point: ask almost any fourteen year old girl about her horse...)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    I am not talking about what people FEEL about the pets, but what the PETS feel towards people. This list is very limited.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSouthall
    Martijn wrote

Obviously anyone eating cats is hellspawn on the level of Hitler and Pol Pot

Or indeed Tyler Bates.

I wouldn't want to eat someone's pet, but presumably the restaurants that serve dog in the far east aren't going around neighbourhoods catching the things, they are being bred somewhere specifically for consumption in the way that cows and sheep and pigs and chickens and silverback gorillas are everywhere else in the world. So I don't have a great objection to it (though I'm not sure I would be able to do it myself).

Now, goats would be a different matter.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMartijn
    Christodoulides wrote
    I am not talking about what people FEEL about the pets, but what the PETS feel towards people. This list is very limited.

Ahem.
    Martijn wrote
    I know people keeping snakes in this fashion, with a very clear and obvious emotional rapport.

Yeah, it surprised me too.
    I didn't even think reptile brains were capable of affection.

But they are.

Southall wrote
    I wouldn't want to eat someone's pet, but presumably the restaurants that serve dog in the far east aren't going around neighbourhoods catching the things, they are being bred somewhere specifically for consumption in the way that cows and sheep and pigs and chickens and silverback gorillas are everywhere else in the world. So I don't have a great objection to it (though I'm not sure I would be able to do it myself).

In a nut (or tortoise, depending on whether or not one is a veggie) shell: quite so, master Southall.

Now, goats would be a different matter.

I can see the barbecue is going to be one medieval heathen festivity of goats, soaked in the blood of their brethren, running for their lives, and wild, exhilarated madmen, dressed up with twigs and leaves, calling upon Herne The Hunter, Wodan and Goldsmith, in merry pursuit, brandishing their meat cleavers in bloodlusting abandon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Mind you, i am against eating horses as well. As for being bred somewhere specifically for consumption, allow me to have strong doubts about this, given the overall circumstances that are valid in these countries. People who tie their daughter's feet in painfully tiny shoes to constrain their feet's size as they grow older, or get their little son married to a dog 'cause he had the misfortune of having a slightly displaced new tooth, are not having any restrains as to kill one's pet or a stray poor dog or cat, i can assure you.

As for the rest of the animals who are being bred for consumption, they have nothing to do with cats or dogs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    Martijn, those animals you mention have no natural dependency upon human beings. I see poor stray dogs and cats dying our of hunger in the street, every day. Now try to walk towards that pet snake of the dude and see its reaction towards you, or let it free in the nature (where it BELONGS) and see if it lives or not. I find it very hard to believe that YOU - out of all, is actually disagreeing with this or having difficulties understanding this simple point. I think you're into rather for the sake of discussion.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSteven
    So why is eating a cow okay and not a horse... or a dog... or a cat? wink

(I too wouldn't eat dog or cat or horse, yet I eat cow. My point is it's strange why we feel it's okay to eat one animal and not the other. I can think of no really sound reason why that is.)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDemetris
    See my posts above. No other animals have the affection towards human beings or the VITAL DEPENDENCY like cats or dogs nor the linked with human beings provenance and existence. No other animals exist in the civilized world, just for being pets, not giving milk or meat or food or anything else to human, other than mutual love and affection, like dogs and cats. I am seriously stopping this here 'cause i don't think you're unable to understand this, you're just toying with me wink